Response to Lapkoff and SittigWho Watches the Watchers: Working Towards Safety for Clinical Decision Support Knowledge Resources
19 May 2017
accepted in revised form: 15 July 2017
20 December 2017 (online)
We thank Drs. Labkoff and Sittig for their provocative editorial and proposal []. We agree that there can be serious usability, workflow, and content issues in EHRs. Based on some structural and practical observations, we present counter arguments in response to the proposed quasi-governmental oversight.
Human Subject Research Approval
This editorial contains no patient data, therefore, it is not subject to Human Subject Research Approval
- 1 Labkoff SE, Sittig DF. Who Watches the Watchers. Working Towards Safety for EHR Knowledge Resources. Applied Clinical Informatics 2017; 8 (02) 680-685.
- 2 How to Evaluate the Literature –For Students and Housestaff. Stanford Medicine. Available at http://emed.stanford.edu/education/Tutorials/TutorialIntro.html Last accessed 6/1/2017.
- 3 Randhawa AS, Babalola O, Henney Z, Miller M, Nelson T, Oza M, Patel C, Randhawa AS, Riley J, Snyder S, So S. A collaborative assessment among 11 pharmaceutical companies of misinformation in commonly used online drug information compendia. Ann Pharmacother 2016; 50 (05) 352-359.
- 4 Talwar S, Randhawa A, Dankiewicz E, Crudele N, Haddox DJ. Caveat emptor: Erroneous safety information about opioids in online drug-information compendia. J Opioid Mana 2016; 12 (04) 281-8.
- 5 Matthews-King A. IT error miscalculates CV score in thousands. Available online at http://www.pulseto/day.co.uk/your-practice/practice-topics/it/gpstold-to-review-patients-at-risk-as-it-error-miscalculatescv-score-inthousands/20031807.fullarticle Last accessed 5/29/2017
- 6 Miller RA, Gardner RM. Recommendations for responsible monitoring and regulation of clinical software systems. J Am Med Inform Assoc 1997; 4: 442-457.
- 7 Fostering Medical Innovation: A Plan for Digital Health Devices https://blogs.fda.gov/fdavoice/index.php/2017/06/fostering-medical-innovation-a-plan-for-digital-health-devices Lass accessed 7/5/2017.
- 8 CDS Coalition [Internet] CDS Coalition calls for comments on draft industry guidelines by July 1, 2017 [cited 2017 Apr 27] Available at http://cdscoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/CDS-3060-Guidelines-032717-with-memo.pdf