From Information Management to Information VisualizationDevelopment of Radiology Dashboards
21 October 2015
accepted: 26 January 2016
16 December 2017 (online)
The development and implementation of a dashboard of medical imaging department (MID) performance indicators.
Several articles discussing performance measures of imaging departments were searched for this study. All the related measures were extracted. Then, a panel of imaging experts were asked to rate these measures with an open ended question to seek further potential indicators. A second round was performed to confirm the performance rating. The indicators and their ratings were then reviewed by an executive panel. Based on the final panel’s rating, a list of indicators to be used was developed. A team of information technology consultants were asked to determine a set of user interface requirements for the building of the dashboard. In the first round, based on the panel’s rating, a list of main features or requirements to be used was determined. Next, Qlikview was utilized to implement the dashboard to visualize a set of selected KPI metrics. Finally, an evaluation of the dashboard was performed.
92 MID indicators were identified. On top of this, 53 main user interface requirements to build of the prototype of dashboard were determined. Then, the project team successfully implemented a prototype of radiology management dashboards into study site. The visual display that was designed was rated highly by users.
To develop a dashboard, management of information is essential. It is recommended that a quality map be designed for the MID. It can be used to specify the sequence of activities, their related indicators and required data for calculating these indicators. To achieve both an effective dashboard and a comprehensive view of operations, it is necessary to design a data warehouse for gathering data from a variety of systems. Utilizing interoperability standards for exchanging data among different systems can be also effective in this regard.
- 1 Zhang J, Lu X, Nie H, Huang Z, van der Aalst WM. Radiology information system: a workflow-based approach. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg 2009; 04 (05) 09-16.
- 2 Karami M. Designing a Radiology Management Dashboard for Radiology Department and Implementation in Selected Hospital Affiliated to Tehran University of Medical Sciences [Phd]. Tehran: Tehran University of Medical Sciences; 2014
- 3 Morgan MB, Branstetter BFt, Mates J, Chang PJ. Flying blind: using a digital dashboard to navigate a complex PACS environment. J Digit Imaging 2006; 19 (01) 69-75.
- 4 Few S. Information Dashboard Design: The Effective Visual Communication of Data first ed. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly Media; 2006
- 5 Wadsworth T, Graves B, Glass S, Harrison A, Donovan C, Proctor A. using business intelligence to improve performance. Healthcare Financial Management 2009; 63: 68-78.
- 6 Morgan MB, Branstetter BFt, Lionetti DM, Richardson JS, Chang PJ. The radiology digital dashboard: effects on report turnaround time. J Digit Imaging 2008; 21 (01) 50-8.
- 7 Karami M, Safdari R, Rahimi A. Effective radiology dashboards: key research findings. Radiol Manage 2013; 35 (02) 42-5.
- 8 Abujudeh HH, Kaewlai R, Asfaw BA, Thrall JH. Quality initiatives: Key performance indicators for measuring and improving radiology department performance. Radiographics 2010; 30 (03) 571-80.
- 9 Hsu C. and B. Sandford, The Delphi technique: making sense of consensus Practical assessment, research & evaluation 2007; 12 (10) 1-8.
- 10 Kruskal JB, Anderson S, Yam CS, Sosna J. Strategies for establishing a comprehensive quality and performance improvement program in a radiology department. Radiographics 2009; 29 (02) 315-29.
- 11 Ondategui SParra. Performance indicators in academic radiology departments in the United States [Phd]. USA: Universitat Pompeu Fabra; 2008
- 12 Ondategui-Parra S, Bhagwat JG, Zou KH, Gogate A, Intriere LA, Kelly P, Seltzer SE, Ros PR. Practice management performance indicators in academic radiology departments. Radiology 2004; 233 (03) 716-22.
- 13 Ondategui-Parra S, Bhagwat JG, Zou KH, Nathanson E, Gill IE, Ros PR. Use of productivity and financial indicators for monitoring performance in academic radiology departments: U.S. nationwide survey. Radiology 2005; 236 (01) 214-9.
- 14 Ondategui-Parra S, Erturk SM, Ros PR. Survey of the use of quality indicators in academic radiology departments. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2006; 187 (05) W451-5.
- 15 Schultz SR, Watson Jr RE, Prescott SL, Krecke KN, Aakre KT, Islam MN, Stanson AW. Patient safety event reporting in a large radiology department. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2011; 197 (03) 684-8.
- 16 Steele JR, Schomer DF. Continuous quality improvement programs provide new opportunities to drive value innovation initiatives in hospital-based radiology practices. J Am Coll Radiol 2009; 06 (07) 491-9.
- 17 Stevens A. Establishing Quality Indicators for Medical Imaging and the Basic Quality Management Toolbox. 2007 [cited 2013]; Available from: http://www.e-radimaging.com/site/article.cfm?ID=277
- 18 Swensen SJ, Johnson CD. Radiologic quality and safety: mapping value into radiology. J Am Coll Radiol 2005; 02 (12) 992-1000.
- 19 Thornton RH, Miransky J, Killen AR, Solomon SB, Brody LA. Analysis and prioritization of near-miss adverse events in a radiology department. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2011; 196 (05) 1120-4.
- 20 Thornton E, Brook OR, Mendiratta-Lala M, Hallett DT, Kruskal JB. Application of failure mode and effect analysis in a radiology department. Radiographics 2011; 31 (01) 281-93.
- 21 Abujudeh H, Kaewlai R, Shah B, Thrall J. Characteristics of falls in a large academic radiology department: occurrence, associated factors, outcomes, and quality improvement strategies. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2011; 197 (01) 154-9.
- 22 Kruskal JB, Reedy A, Pascal L, Rosen MP, Boiselle PM. Quality initiatives: lean approach to improving performance and efficiency in a radiology department. Radiographics 2012; 32 (02) 573-87.
- 23 Few S. Common Pitfalls in Dashboard Design – Perceptual Edge. 2006 [cited 2012; Available from: www. perceptualedge.com/articles/Whitepapers/Common_Pitfalls.pdf
- 24 Malik S. Dashboard Evaluation: What are the Characteristics of a ‘Best in Class’ Enterprise Dashboard?. 2007 [cited 2013]; Available from: http://www.dashboardinsight.com/articles/digital-dashboards/funda mentals/dashboard-evaluation.aspx
- 25 Mohanty A. Dashboard Evaluations. 2012 [cited 2013]; Available from: http://www.slideshare.net/asismo hanty/dashboard-evaluations
- 26 Bernie S. The brilliant dashboards checklist: a systemic approach to assessing your dashboard. 2012 [cited 2013]; Available from: https://madetomeasurekpis.com/tag/analysis
- 27 Gemignani Z. A dashboard alerts checklist. 2008 [cited 2013]; Available from: http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writing/dashboard-alerts-checklist. adtmag.com/articles/2005/01/01/evaluation-criteria-for-dashboards-and-scorecards.aspx
- 28 Eckerson W. Evaluation criteria for dashboards and scorecards. 2005 [cited 2013]; Available from: http://adtmag.com/articles/2005/01/01/evaluation-criteria-for-dashboards-and-scorecards.aspx
- 29 Eckerson W. How to Design Effective Dashboard Displays. 2011 [cited 2012]; Available from: http://www. dashboardinsight.com/articles/digital-dashboards/fundamentals/how-to-design-effective-dashboard-displays.aspx
- 30 Dolan JG, Veazie PJ, Russ AJ. Development and initial evaluation of a treatment decision dashboard. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 2013; 13: 51.
- 31 Hughes M. Dashboard Design 101. 2010 [cited 2012]; Available from: http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2010/11/dashboard-design-101.php
- 32 Fox D. Applying Heuristic Principles to Dashboard Design & Evaluation. 2011 [cited 2012]; Available from: http://www.claricent.com/2011/06/applying-heuristic-principles-to-dashboard-design-evaluation/
- 33 Morgan MB, Chang PJ. The radiology dashboard: A user’s guide to a “high-performance” PACS. Applied Radiology. 2005 34. (05) 17–8, 20–1.
- 34 Karami M. A design protocol to develop radiology dashboards. Acta Inform Med 2014; 22 (05) 341-6.
- 35 McLellan S, Muddimer A, Camille SPeres. The Effect of Experience on System Usability Scale Ratings. Journal of usability studies 2012; 07 (02) 56-67.
- 36 Mick J. Data-driven decision making: a nursing research and evidence-based practice dashboard. J Nurs Adm 2011; 41 (10) 391-3.
- 37 Park KW, Smaltz D, McFadden D, Souba W. The operating room dashboard. J Surg Res 2010; 164 (02) 294-300.
- 38 Koopman RJ, Kochendorfer KM, Moore JL, Mehr DR, Wakefield DS, Yadamsuren B, Coberly JS, Kruse RL, Wakefield BJ, Belden JL. A diabetes dashboard and physician efficiency and accuracy in accessing data needed for high-quality diabetes care. Ann Fam Med 2011; 09 (05) 398-405.
- 39 Aydin CE, Bolton LB, Donaldson N, Brown DS, Mukerji A. Beyond Nursing Quality Measurement: The Nation’s First Regional Nursing Virtual Dashboard Assessment). In: Henriksen K, Battles J, Keyes M. editors. Advances in Patient Safety: New Directions and Alternative Approaches. 2011/01/21 ed. Rockville Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2008
- 40 Blais R, Champagne F, Rousseau L. TOCSIN: a proposed dashboard of indicators to control healthcare-associated infections. Healthc Q 2009; 12 No Patient: 161-7.
- 41 McLeod B, Zaver F, Avery C, Martin DP, Wang D, Jessen K, Lang ES. Matching capacity to demand: a regional dashboard reduces ambulance avoidance and improves accessibility of receiving hospitals. Acad Emerg Med 2010; 17 (12) 1383-9.
- 42 Zaydfudim V, Dossett LA, Starmer JM, Arbogast PG, Feurer ID, Ray WA, May AK, Pinson CW. Implementation of a real-time compliance dashboard to help reduce SICU ventilator-associated pneumonia with the ventilator bundle. Arch Surg 2009; 144 (07) 656-62.
- 43 Waitman LR, Phillips IE, McCoy AB, Danciu I, Halpenny RM, Nelsen CL, Johnson DC, Starmer JM, Peterson JF. Adopting Real-Time Surveillance Dashboards as a Component of an Enterprisewide Medication Safety Strategy. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety 2011; 37 (07) 326-32.
- 44 Stone-Griffith S, Englebright JD, Cheung D, Korwek KM, Perlin JB. Data-driven process and operational improvement in the emergency department: the ED Dashboard and Reporting Application. J Healthc Manag 2012; 57 (03) 167-80 discussion 80–1.
- 45 Nagy PG, Warnock MJ, Daly M, Toland C, Meenan CD, Mezrich RS. Informatics in radiology: automated Web-based graphical dashboard for radiology operational business intelligence. Radiographics 2009; 29 (07) 1897-906.
- 46 Minnigh TR, Gallet J. Maintaining quality control using a radiological digital X-ray dashboard. J Digit Imaging 2009; 22 (01) 84-8.
- 47 Clarke S. Your business dashboard: Knowing when to change the oil. Journal of Corporate Accounting & Finance 2005; 16 (02) 51-4.
- 48 Hoekzema G, Abercrombie S, Carr S, Gravel J, W Jr Hall KL, Kozakowski S, Mazzone MF, Shaffer T, Wieschhaus M. Residency “dashboard”: family medicine GME’s step towards transparency and accountability?. Ann Fam Med 2010; 08 (05) 470.
- 49 Barta RA. Dashboards: a required business management tool. Biomed Instrum Technol 2010; 44 (03) 228-30.
- 50 Johnson CD, Miranda R, Osborn HH, Miller JM, Prescott SL, Aakre KT, Denham C. Designing a safer radiology department. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2012; 198: 398-404.
- 51 Balter S, Miller DL. The new Joint Commission sentinel event pertaining to prolonged fluoroscopy. J Am Coll Radiol 2007; 04: 497-500.
- 52 Ghiyasvan H, Zandiyan H, Zahirian Tmoghadam, Naghdi S. Cost of radiology services using the activity based costing (ABC) method. Payesh 2014; 12: 595-605.
- 53 Nouri F, Tabibi J, Salehi M. Outpatient flow analysis and waiting time in a radiology department. Payesh 2013; 12: 195-204.
- 54 Nikpazhouh A, Shariati B, Soheyli S. The costs of the radiology ward by step-down method in amir alam hospital, Tehran, Iran. Payesh 2009; 08: 235-44.
- 55 Swayne L, Duncan J, Ginter P. Strategic Management of Health Care Organizations. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing; 2006
- 56 Ez Faldini ardakani, Sheykhha M, Faghihi M. Designing an educational software for teaching and evaluation of radiology course in dentistry. Journal of medical education 2008; 12: 71-75.
- 57 Haghparast M, Hosseini MTashnizi, Golverdi Myazdi, Sadeghi S, Karim T. Radiographic images repeats in Bandar Abbas teaching hospitals, Iran. Journal of Hormozgam university of medical sciences 2013; 17: 167-74.
- 58 Siegelman JR, Gress DA. Radiology stewardship and quality improvement: the process and costs of implementing a CT radiation dose optimization committee in a medium-sized community hospital system. J Am Coll Radiol 2013; 10: 416-22.
- 59 Bhargavan M, Sunshine JH. Utilization of radiology services in the United States: levels and trends in modalities, regions, and populations. Radiology 2005; 234: 824-32.
- 60 Benny A. Checklist for Evaluating Dashboarding Tools. 2010 [cited 2013; Available from: http://ben-nyaustin.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/checklist-for-evaluating-dashboarding-tools