A toolbox to improve algorithms for insulin-dosing decision support
03 April 2014
Accepted: 30 April 2014
21 December 2017 (online)
Background: Standardized insulin order sets for subcutaneous basal-bolus insulin therapy are recommended by clinical guidelines for the inpatient management of diabetes. The algorithm based GlucoTab system electronically assists health care personnel by supporting clinical workflow and providing insulin-dose suggestions.
Objective: To develop a toolbox for improving clinical decision-support algorithms.
Methods: The toolbox has three main components. 1) Data preparation: Data from several heterogeneous sources is extracted, cleaned and stored in a uniform data format. 2) Simulation: The effects of algorithm modifications are estimated by simulating treatment workflows based on real data from clinical trials. 3) Analysis: Algorithm performance is measured, analyzed and simulated by using data from three clinical trials with a total of 166 patients.
Results: Use of the toolbox led to algorithm improvements as well as the detection of potential individualized subgroup-specific algorithms.
Conclusion: These results are a first step towards individualized algorithm modifications for specific patient subgroups.
Citation: Donsa K, Beck P, Plank J, Schaupp L, Mader JK, Truskaller T, Tschapeller B, Höll B, Spat S, Pieber TR. A toolbox to improve algorithms for insulin-dosing decision support. Appl Clin Inf 2014; 5: 548–556 http://dx.doi.org/10.4338/ACI-04-RA-0033
- 1 Umpierrez GE. Hyperglycemia: An Independent Marker of In-Hospital Mortality in Patients with Undiag-nosed Diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2002; 87 (Suppl. 03) 978-982.
- 2 Rayman G. National Health Service.. National Diabetes Inpatient Audit 2012. United Kingdom; 2013.
- 3 Umpierrez GE, Smiley D, Zisman A, Prieto LM, Palacio A, Ceron M. et al. Randomized study of basal-bolus insulin therapy in the inpatient management of patients with type 2 diabetes (RABBIT 2 trial). Diabetes Care 2007; 30 (Suppl. 09) 2181-2186.
- 4 Umpierrez GE, Hor T, Smiley D, Temponi A, Umpierrez D, Ceron M. et al. Comparison of inpatient insulin regimens with detemir plus aspart versus neutral protamine hagedorn plus regular in medical patients with type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94 (Suppl. 02) 564-569.
- 5 Umpierrez GE, Smiley D, Jacobs S, Peng L, Temponi A, Mulligan P. et al. Randomized study of basal-bolus insulin therapy in the inpatient management of patients with type 2 diabetes undergoing general surgery (RABBIT 2 surgery). Diabetes Care 2011; 34 (Suppl. 02) Supplement.
- 6 Umpierrez GE, Smiley D, Hermayer K, Khan A, Olson DE, Newton C. et al. Randomized study comparing a Basal-bolus with a basal plus correction insulin regimen for the hospital management of medical and surgical patients with type 2 diabetes: basal plus trial. Diabetes Care 2013; 36 (Suppl. 08) 2169-2174.
- 7 McDonnell ME, Umpierrez GE. Insulin therapy for the management of hyperglycemia in hospitalized patients. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2012; 41 (Suppl. 01) 175-201.
- 8 Mader JK, Neubauer KM, Schaupp L, Augustin T, Beck P, Spat S. et al. Efficacy, usability and sequence of operations of a workflow-integrated algorithm for basal-bolus insulin therapy in hospitalized type 2 diabetes patients. Diabetes Obes Metab 2013; 16 (Suppl. 02) 137-146.
- 9 ICH Expert Working Group.. Guideline for Good Clinical Practice E6 (R1). ICH of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use. 1996
- 10 Zainuddin Z, Pauline O, Ardil C. A Neural Network Approach in Predicting the Blood Glucose Level for Diabetic Patients. Int J Comput Intell 2009; 5: 1-8.
- 11 Quchani S, Tahami E. Comparison of MLP and Elman Neural Network for Blood Glucose Level Prediction in Type 1 Diabetics. 3rd Kuala Lumpur Int Conf Biodemical Eng 2007; 15: 54-58.
- 12 Price CP. Point-of-care testing in diabetes mellitus. Clin Chem Lab Med 2003; 41 (Suppl. 09) 1213-1219.
- 13 Zijlstra E, Heise T, Nosek L, Heinemann L, Heckermann S. Continuous glucose monitoring: quality of hypoglycaemia detection. Diabetes Obes Metab 2013; 15 (Suppl. 02) 130-135.
- 14 R Development Core Team.. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2011