Do Language Fluency and Other Socioeconomic Factors Influence the Use of PubMed and MedlinePlus?
23 January 2013
accepted: 30 March 2013
19 December 2017 (online)
Background: Increased usage of MedlinePlus by Spanish-speakers was observed after introduction of MedlinePlus in Spanish. This probably reflects increased usage of MEDLINE and PubMed by those with greater fluency in the language in which it is presented; but this has never been demonstrated in English speakers. Evidence that lack of English fluency deters international healthcare personnel from using PubMed could support the use of multi-language search tools like Babel-MeSH.
Objectives: This study aims to measure the effects of language fluency and other socioeconomic factors on PubMed MEDLINE and MedlinePlus access by international users.
Methods: We retrospectively reviewed server pageviews of PubMed and MedlinePlus from various periods of time, and analyzed them against country statistics on language fluency, GDP, literacy rate, Internet usage, medical schools, and physicians per capita, to determine whether they were associated.
Results: We found fluency in English to be positively associated with pageviews of PubMed and MedlinePlus in countries with high literacy rates. Spanish was generally found to be positively associated with pageviews of MedlinePlus en Español. The other parameters also showed varying degrees of association with pageviews.
Conclusions: After adjusting for the other factors investigated in this study, language fluency was a consistently significant predictor of the use of PubMed, MedlinePlus English and MedlinePlus en Español. This study may support the need for multi-language search tools and may increase access of health information resources from non-English speaking countries.
Citation: Sheets L, Gavino A, Callaghan F, Fontelo P. Do language fluency and other socioeconomic factors influence the use of PubMed and MedlinePlus? Appl Clin Inf 2013; 4: 170–184
- 1 Top Ten Internet Languages - World Internet Statistics [Internet]. [Cited 2011 Aug 30]. Available from http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm
- 2 Wolk RM. The effects of English language dominance of the internet and the digital divide. 2004 International Symposium on Technology and Society, ISTAS ‘04 Globalizing Technological Education [Internet]. 2004 [cited 2011 Aug 31]. p. 174–80. Available from http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-7744225741&partnerID=40&md5=b5d0f889eed28eee0831c9b12f46b9a2
- 3 Ono H, Zavodny M. Immigrants, English Ability and the Digital Divide. IZA Discussion Paper Series [Internet]. 2007 Oct [cited 2011 Aug 30];(3124). Available from http://ftp.iza.org/dp3124.pdf
- 4 Tang H-WV, Yin M-S, Sheu R-S. The relationship between English language adoption and global digital inequality: A cross-country analysis of ICT readiness and use. Int J Distance Educ Tech 2011; 9 (02) 13-22.
- 5 Fiscella K, Franks P, Doescher MP, Saver BG. Disparities in health care by race, ethnicity, and language among the insured: findings from a national sample. Med Care 2002; 40 (01) 52-59.
- 6 David RA, Rhee M. The impact of language as a barrier to effective health care in an underserved urban Hispanic community. Mt Sinai J Med 1998; 65 5-6 393-397.
- 7 Apter AJ, Reisine ST, Affleck G, Barrows E, ZuWallack RL. Adherence with twice-daily dosing of inhaled steroids. Socioeconomic and health-belief differences. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 157 6 Pt 1 1810-1817.
- 8 Carrasquillo O, Orav EJ, Brennan TA, Burstin HR. Impact of language barriers on patient satisfaction in an emergency department. J Gen Intern Med 1999; 14 (02) 82-87.
- 9 Gulati S, Watt L, Shaw N, Sung L, Poureslami IM, Klaassen R. et al. Communication and language challenges experienced by Chinese and South Asian immigrant parents of children with cancer in Canada: Implications for health services delivery. Pediatr Blood Cancer [Internet]. 2011 Mar 2 [cited 2011 Aug 30]. Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21370432
- 10 Bischoff A, Tonnerre C, Loutan L, Stalder H. Language difficulties in an outpatient clinic in Switzerland. Soz Praventivmed 1999; 44 (06) 283-287.
- 11 Baker DW, Hayes R, Fortier JP. Interpreter use and satisfaction with interpersonal aspects of care for Spanish-speaking patients. Med Care 1998; 36 (10) 1461-1470.
- 12 Binder L, Nelson B, Smith D, Glass B, Haynes J, Wainscott M. Development, implementation, and evaluation of a medical Spanish curriculum for an emergency medicine residency program. J Emerg Med 1988; 6 (05) 439-441.
- 13 Leon SA, Fontelo P. MedlinePlus en Español and Spanish-speakers. AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2007; 1028.
- 14 Edejer TT. Disseminating health information in developing countries: the role of the internet. BMJ 2000; 321 7264 797-800.
- 15 Smith H, Bukirwa H, Mukasa O, Snell P, Adeh-Nsoh S, Mbuyita S. et al. Access to electronic health knowledge in five countries in Africa: a descriptive study. B MC Health Serv Res 2007; 7: 72.
- 16 Doughty K, Rothman L, Johnston L, Le K, Wu J, Howard A. Low-Income Countries’ Orthopaedic Information Needs: Challenges and Opportunities. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010; 486 (10) 2598-2603.
- 17 Fact Sheet The National Library of Medicine [Internet]. 1975 [cited 2011 Sep 1]. Available from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/nlm.html
- 18 Fact Sheet MedlinePlus® [Internet]. 2001 [cited 2011 Sep 8]. Available from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs factsheets/medlineplus.html
- 19 MedlinePlus Turns 10 Years Old [Internet]. 2008 [cited 2011 Sep 8]. Available from http://www.nlm.nih. gov/news/mplus_turns_ten.html
- 20 National Library of Medicine. <BabelMeSH>< MEDLINE/PubMed Multilanguage Search [Internet]. [Cited 2011 Aug 31]. Available from http://babelmesh.nlm.nih.gov
- 21 CIA - The World Factbook [Internet]. [Cited 2010 Nov 13]. Available from https://www.cia.gov/library publications/the-world-factbook/index.html
- 22 Copenhagen University. Global Directories of Education Institutions for Health Professions [Internet]. [Cited 2010 Nov 13]. Available from http://avicenna.ku.dk
- 23 World Health Organization. Global Health Atlas [Internet]. [Cited 2010 Nov 13]. Available from http://apps.who.int/globalatlas/dataQuery
- 24 Wikipedia. List of countries by English-speaking population [Internet]. Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia. 2010 [cited 2010 Nov 13]. Available from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population
- 25 Ethnologue report for language code: English [Internet]. Ethnologue Languages of the World. 2010 [cited 2010 Nov 13]. Available from http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=eng
- 26 Wikipedia. Spanish language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [Internet]. [Cited 2011 Aug 31]. Available from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language
- 27 Spanish Speaking Population Statistics - Worldwide Population [Internet]. [Cited 2011 Aug 31]. Available from http://www.spanishseo.org/resources/worldwide-spanish-speaking-population
- 28 R Development Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing [Internet]. R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2010 [cited 2011 Sep 1]. Available from http://www.r-project.org
- 29 Goossens Y, Makipaa A, Schepelmann P, van de Sand I, Kuhndtand M, Herrndorf M. Alternative progress indicators to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) as a means towards sustainable development [Internet]. European Parliament Policy Department: Economic and Scientific Policy; 2007 Oct [cited 2011 Aug 31]. Available from http://www.beyond-gdp.eu/download/bgdp-bp-goossens.pdf
- 30 Gil-de-Zuniga H. Reshaping Digital Inequality in the European Union: How Psychological Barriers Affect Internet Adoption Rates. Webology [Internet]. 2006 Dec [cited 2011 Sep 1];3(4). Available from http://www.webology.org/2006/v3n4/a32.html
- 31 Lorence D, Park H. Web-based consumer health information: public access, digital division, and remainders. MedGenMed 2006; 8 (02) 4.
- 32 Fox S. 80% of internet users look for health information online [Internet]. Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project; 2011 Feb [cited 2011 Aug 31]. Available from http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2011/HealthTopics.aspx