An integrated EHR at Northern California Kaiser PermanentePitfalls, challenges, and benefits experienced in transitioning
08. März 2012
accepted: 17. Juli 2012
16. Dezember 2017 (online)
As legacy information systems age, transition to newer systems is inevitable, but at times fraught with challenge. This brief article addresses some of the pitfalls, challenges, and benefits we experienced at Kaiser Permanente as we transitioned several key clinical information systems to Epic Systems for our integrated comprehensive Electronic Health Record (EHR).
- 1 McGee MK. Performance Monitoring Aims to Improve EHR Satisfaction, InformationWeek, [cited 2010 May 25]. Available from: http://www.informationweek.com
- 2 Berry C, Burrington-Brown J, Doyon C, Frank L, Halpert A, Helbig S. et al. e-HIM Work Group on Electronic Document Management as a Component of EHR. Electronic Document Management as a Component of the Electronic Health Record. [cited 2010 Nov]. Available from: The AHIMA Body of Knowledge at www.ahima.org.
- 3 Johnson K. Too Much Information: Are EHRs Drowning Primary Care? [Internet][cited 2012 Feb]. Available from: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/758632.
- 4 Acker B, Bronnert J, Brown T. et al. Problem list guidance in the EHR. J AHIMA 2011; 82 (09) 52-58.
- 5 Steciw A. Take this EHR and shove it: Why EHR training is important [Internet]. [cited 2011 Nov 2]. Available from: http://searchhealthit.techtarget.com/healthitexchange/healthitpulse/take-this-ehr-and-shove-it-why-ehr-training-is-important.
- 6 Reynolds G. Avoiding ‘Alert Fatigue,. [Internet] [2009 Oct] Available from: http://www.healthdatamanage/ment.com/issues/2009_71.
- 7 Zhou YY, Kanter MH, Wang JJ, Garrido T. Improved quality at Kaiser Permanente through e-mail between physicians and patients. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010; 29 (Suppl. 07) 1370-1375. PMID 20606190.
- 8 Franklin VL. Patients’ engagement with “Sweet Talk” –a text messaging support system for young people with diabetes. Journal of Medical Internet Research 2008; 10 (02) 20.