Subscribe to RSS
AMDIS Case ConferenceImplementing Electronic Health Records in a Small Subspecialty Practice
17 November 2010
Accepted: 31 March 2011
16 December 2017 (online)
Electronic health record adoption has failed to achieve critical mass in small private practices in no small part due to lack of leadership; the challenge of cultural change; and the difficulty of adapting to new automated workflows. We present one small practice that successfully navigated these obstacles, and examine its accomplishments through the lens of organizational psychology.
- 1 Morton ME, Wiedenbeck S. A framework for predicting EHR adoption attitudes: A physician survey. Perspect Health Inf Manag 2009; 6: 1-19.
- 2 Lorenzi NM, Smith JB, Conner SR. et al. The success factor profile for clinical computer innovation. Stud Health Technol Inform 2004; 107: 1077-1080.
- 3 Gans D, Kralewski J, Hammons T, Dowd B. Medical groups’ adoption of electronic health records and information systems. Health Aff 2005; 24: 1323-1333.
- 4 Miller RH, Sim I, Newman J. Electronic medical records: lessons from small physician practice. Oakland (CA): California HealthCare Foundation (US) 2003 Oct.
- 5 Weiner B. A theory of organizational readiness for change. Implementation Science 2009; 4: 67-76.
- 6 Ford JD, Ford LW. Decoding resistance to change. Harvard Business Review 2009; 87: 99-104.
- 7 en.wikipedia.org.org [Internet]. San Francisco: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. [updated 2010 November 6; cited 2010 Nov 11]. Available from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_management.
- 8 McCarthy C, Eastman D. Change management strategies for effefctive EMR implementation. Garets D, editor. Chicago(IL): Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society; 2010
- 9 Knickrehm M, Ficery K. (Accenture, Chicago, IL). Secrets of success on EMR journey to meaningful use: leading hospital CIOS reveal key lessons learned. Available from http://www.accenture.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/PDF/Secrets_to_Success_on_the_Journey_to_Meaningful_Use.pdf.
- 10 http://www.managementconsultingnews.com/interviews/bridges_interview.php [Internet]. Oregon: MindShare Consulting LLC; c2010 [cited 2010 Nov 11]. Available from: http://www.managementconsult ingnews.com/interviews/bridges_interview.php.
- 11 Huffington C, Armstrong D, Halton W, Hoyle L, Pooley J. editors. Working below the surface. London: Karnac; 2004