Subscribe to RSS
An internet portal for the development of clinical practice guidelines
17 May 2010
accepted: 31 October 2010
16 December 2017 (online)
Background: The complexity and quality requirements for the development of clinical practice guidelines steadily increase. Internet technologies support this process by optimizing the development process.
Objective: The aim of this internet based solution was to facilitate the development of clinical practice guidelines.
Methods: An internet portal was developed allowing for a shared workplace to support clinical practice guideline authoring. It is based on a Content Management System and combines different tools for document handling and editing, communication as well as process and team steering.
Results: Until now, the internet portal has been successfully implicated in the development of six evidence- and consensus-based clinical practice guidelines. Additional German and European clinical practice guidelines are currently generated with support of the internet portal. The available tools allow for a flexible design of the scheduled workflow, depending on the requirements of the respective group. An additional strength of the platform is the advantage to transfer all data from a previous version of a guideline into the next ‘life-cycle‘.
Conclusion: The application of the portal results in a considerable reduction of costs and development time of the resulting clinical practice guidelines.
- 1 Council of Europe.. Developing a methodology for drawing up guidelines on best medical practices. Recommendation (2001) 13. 2002.
- 2 Harbour RT. editor. SIGN 50 –a guideline developer’s handbook. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. 2008
- 3 German Association of the Scientific Medical Associations.. Classification of S3 guidelines. German. [cited 2010 September 27]. Available from: http://www.uni-duesseldorf.de/AWMF/ll/klass-s3.htm.
- 4 AGREE Collaboration.. Appraisal of Guidelines Research and Evaluation (AGREE) instrument [cited 2010 September 27]. Available from: http://www.agreecollaboration.org/instrument.
- 5 Agency for Quality in Medicine.. German Instrument for Methodological Guideline Appraisal (DELBI) [cited 2010 September 27]. Available from: http://www.leitlinien.de/leitlinienmethodik/leitlinienbewertung/delbi/delbi-english-version.
- 6 Grol R. Has guideline development gone astray?. BMJ 2010; 340: c306.
- 7 Eccles M, Mason J. How to develop cost-conscious guidelines. Health Tech Assess 2001; 5 (Suppl. 16) 1-69.
- 8 cpg-development.com [Internet].. Berlin: Charité; c2008- [cited 2010 September 27]. Available from: http://www.cpg-development.com.
- 9 Plone.org [Internet].. Plone foundation c2000- [cited 2010 September 27]. Available from: http://plone.org.
- 10 Hohne W, Eckhold R, Hoffmann JC. [Guideline development and XML-based rapid prototyping]. German. In: Steyer G, Tolxdorff T. editors. Telemed 2005: bit for bit - Halbzeit auf dem Weg zur Telematikinfrastruktur. Berlin: Akademische Verlagsgesellschaft AKA; 2005. p. 284-93.
- 11 Hoffmann JC, Preiß JC, Autschbach F, Buhr HJ, Hauser W, Herrling K. et al. S3-Leitlinie, Diagnostik und Therapie des Morbus Crohn“ - Ergebnisse einer Evidenz-basierten Konsensuskonferenz der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Verdauungs- und Stoffwechselkrankheiten zusammen mit dem Kompetenz-netz Chronisch entzündliche Darmerkrankungen. German. Z Gastroenterol. 2008; 46 (09) 1094-1146.
- 12 Fischbach W, Malfertheiner P, Hoffmann JC, Bolten W, Bornschein J, Gotze O. et al. S3-Guideline ”Helicobacter pylori and gastroduodenal ulcer disease” of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS) in cooperation with the German Society for Hygiene and Microbiology, Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition e. V., German Society for Rheumatology, AWMF-Registration-no. 021 / 001. Z Gastroenterol. 2009; 47 (12) 1230-1263.
- 13 Hohne W, Karge T, Schutt A. CPG development –Clinical Guidelines: TMF Portal for Web Based Development [Internet]. Berlin: TMF e. V.; 2010 [cited 2010 September 27]. Available from: http://www.cpgdevelopment.com/hilfe/information-brochure-about-the-cpg-development-portal.