Subscribe to RSS
Daily Care Information System Requirements: Professional Service-Driven Service Blueprint ApproachFunding None.
Background Long-term care (LTC) services are a professional service-driven (PSD) system; to deliver appropriate care services to residents, health care providers first need to collect appropriate patient data and make a professional assessment. A well-designed LTC information system should therefore consider the information requirements of multidisciplinary health care providers to adequately support their care services.
Objectives This study proposed a modified service blueprint—the PSD service blueprint—for visualizing interdisciplinary service providers' input and output information requirements, which correspond to their service activities.
Methods The PSD service blueprint comprises five layers and seven elements. We also present a case study to illustrate the blueprint's application to daily LTC services.
Results Our proposed approach could clearly illustrate the daily care activities, service providers (main actors), actors' input and output information, and suggestions for LTC information system–related applications.
Conclusion The proposed PSD service blueprint can not only gather interdisciplinary LTC service providers' information system requirements but also act as a mapping tool for visualizing the care service process.
Protection of Human and Animal Subjects
This study followed the code of research ethics and conformed to the Taiwanese government's requirements. The study did not collect any relevant identifying information on the humans involved, and the interviews conducted were anonymous. The purpose of the interview was to gain information on service flow, required input information, and output information/records. Before the interview, the researcher verbally informed all interviewees of the research purpose, research procedure, benefits, the risks faced in participating in the interview, and their right to join and even drop out of the study at any time.
Received: 19 April 2021
Accepted: 25 August 2021
13 October 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Miah SJ, Genemo H. A design science research methodology for expert systems development. Australas J Inf Syst 2016; DOI: 10.3127/ajis.v20i0.1329.
- 2 Adenowo AA, Adenowo BA. Software engineering methodologies: a review of the waterfall model and object-oriented approach. Int J Sci Eng Res 2013; 4 (07) 429
- 3 Nahm ES, Mills ME, Feege B. Long-term care information systems: an overview of the selection process. J Gerontol Nurs 2006; 32 (06) 32-38
- 4 Steinke GH, Al-Deen MS, LaBrie RC. Innovating information system development methodologies with design thinking. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Innovation in IT. Anhalt University of Applied Sciences; 2017: 51-55
- 5 Wei Q, Courtney KL. Nursing information flow in long-term care facilities. Appl Clin Inform 2018; 9 (02) 275-284
- 6 Dixon CA, Punguyire D, Mahabee-Gittens M, Ho M, Lindsell CJ. Patient flow analysis in resource-limited settings: a practical tutorial and case study. Glob Health Sci Pract 2015; 3 (01) 126-134
- 7 Almeida R, Paterson WG, Craig N, Hookey L. A patient flow analysis: identification of process inefficiencies and workflow metrics at an ambulatory endoscopy unit. Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016; 2016: 2574076
- 8 Vahdat V, Griffin J, Burns S, Azghandi R. Proactive patient flow redesign for integration of multiple outpatient clinics. In: 2017 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC). Piscataway, NJ: IEEE; 2017: 2893-2904
- 9 Unertl KM, Weinger MB, Johnson KB, Lorenzi NM. Describing and modeling workflow and information flow in chronic disease care. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2009; 16 (06) 826-836
- 10 Seidel VP, Fixson SK. Adopting design thinking in novice multidisciplinary teams: The application and limits of design methods and reflexive practices. J Prod Innov Manage 2013; 30: 19-33
- 11 Altman M, Huang TT, Breland JY. Design thinking in health care. Prev Chronic Dis 2018; 15: E117
- 12 Wang Z, Talburt JR, Wu N, Dagtas S, Zozus MN. A rule-based data quality assessment system for electronic health record data. Appl Clin Inform 2020; 11 (04) 622-634
- 13 Roach T. How to combine Design Thinking and Agile in practice. 2015. Accessed February 15, 2020 at: https://medium.com/startup-study-group/how-to-combine-design-thinking-and-agile-in-practice-36c9fc75c6e6#.z0eexdn5v
- 14 Bason C, Austin RD. The right way to lead design thinking. Harv Bus Rev 2019; 97 (02) 82-91
- 15 Roberts JP, Fisher TR, Trowbridge MJ, Bent C. A design thinking framework for healthcare management and innovation. Healthc (Amst) 2016; 11 (04) 11-14
- 16 Potthoff T, Siemon D, Wilms K. et al. Collaborative service blueprinting for design thinking: evaluation of a digital prototype. Paper presented at: Proceedings of the 51st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences; Waikoloa Village, Hawaii, United States, January 2–6, 2018
- 17 Parizi R, da Silva MM, Couto I. et al. Design thinking in software requirements: what techniques to use? A proposal for a recommendation tool. In: Proceedings of the XXIII Iberoamerican Conference on Software Engineering, CIbSE 2020; Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil, November 9–13, 2020. New York, NY: Curran Associates; 2020: 320-333
- 18 Fließ S, Kleinaltenkamp M. Blueprinting the service company: managing service processes efficiently. J Bus Res 2004; 57 (04) 392-404
- 19 Ryu D-H, Lim C, Kim K-J. Development of a service blueprint for the online-to-offline integration in service. J Retailing Consum Serv 2019; 54: 101944
- 20 Wang Y-H, Lee C-H, Trappey AJ. Service design blueprint approach incorporating TRIZ and service QFD for a meal ordering system: a case study. Comput Ind Eng 2017; 107: 388-400
- 21 Song W, Wu Z, Li X, Xu Z. Modularizing product extension services: an approach based on modified service blueprint and fuzzy graph. Comput Ind Eng 2015; 85: 186-195
- 22 Kundu S. Service information blueprint: a scheme for defining service information requirements. Journal of Service Science Research 2015; 7 (01) 21-53
- 23 Patrício L, Fisk RP, Falcão e Cunha J. Designing multi-interface service experiences: the service experience blueprint. J Serv Res 2008; 10 (04) 318-334
- 24 O'Connor Y, Heavin C, O'Connor S, Gallagher J, Wu J, O'Donoghue J. Service blueprint for improving clinical guideline adherence via mobile health technology. International Journal of Medical, Health, Biomedical. Bioengineering and Pharmaceutical Engineering 2015; 9 (11) 768-772
- 25 Holdford DA. Using service blueprints to visualize pharmacy innovations. Pharmacy (Basel) 2019; 7 (02) 43
- 26 Czaja SJ. Long-term care services and support systems for older adults: the role of technology. Am Psychol 2016; 71 (04) 294-301
- 27 Harris-Kojetin LD, Sengupta M, Park-Lee E, Valverde R. Long-term care services in the United States: 2013 overview. Vital Health Stat 3 2013; 3 (37) 1-107
- 28 Grenha Teixeira J, Patrício L, Huang K-H, Fisk RP, Nóbrega L, Constantine L. The MINDS method: integrating management and interaction design perspectives for service design. J Serv Res 2017; 20 (03) 240-258
- 29 Dang DD, Pekkola S. Root causes of enterprise architecture problems in the public sector. Paper presented at: Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS); Chiayi City, Taiwan, June 1–27, 2016: 287
- 30 Tamm T, Seddon PB, Shanks G, Reynolds P. How does enterprise architecture add value to organisations?. Comm Assoc Inform Syst 2011; 28 (01) 10
- 31 Niemi EI, Pekkola S. Enterprise architecture benefit realization: review of the models and a case study of a public organization. ACM SIGMIS Database 2016; 47 (03) 55-80
- 32 Aldea A, Iacob M-E, Wombacher A, Hiralal M, Franck T. Enterprise architecture 4.0–A vision, an approach and software tool support. In: 22nd International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference (EDOC). Piscataway, NJ: IEEE; 2018: 1-10
- 33 Haghighathoseini A, Bobarshad H, Saghafi F, Rezaei MS, Bagherzadeh N. Hospital enterprise architecture framework (Study of Iranian University Hospital Organization). Int J Med Inform 2018; 114: 88-100
- 34 Ibrohim M, Suganda Girsang A, Designing IT. Blueprint with TOGAF for information technology development. Int J Mech Eng Technol 2019; 10 (03) 837-854
- 35 Iyer B, Gottlieb R. The Four-Domain Architecture: an approach to support enterprise architecture design. IBM Syst J 2004; 43 (03) 587-597
- 36 Engelsman W, Quartel D, Jonkers H, van Sinderen M. Extending enterprise architecture modelling with business goals and requirements. Enterprise Inf Syst 2011; 5 (01) 9-36
- 37 Gong Y, Janssen M. The value of and myths about enterprise architecture. Int J Inf Manage 2019; 46: 1-9
- 38 Effenberger F, Hilbert A. Towards an energy information system architecture description for industrial manufacturers: decomposition & allocation view. Energy 2016; 112: 599-605
- 39 Júnior AA, Misra S, Soares MS. A systematic mapping study on software architectures description based on ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010: 2011. In: International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications. Berlin: Springer; 2019: 17-30
- 40 Chaabane M, Rodriguez IB, Colomo-Palacios R, Gaaloul W, Jmaiel M. A modeling approach for Systems-of-Systems by adapting ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010 Standard evaluated by Goal-Question-Metric. Sci Comput Program 2019; 184: 102305
- 41 Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Long-term care facility resident assessment instrument 3.0 user's manual, version 1.15. 2017. Accessed September 6, 2021 at: https://downloads.cms.gov/files/mds-30-rai-manual-v115-october-2017.pdf
- 42 Marshall EG, Clarke BS, Varatharasan N, Andrew MK. A long-term care-comprehensive geriatric assessment (LTC-CGA) tool: improving care for frail older adults?. Can Geriatr J 2015; 18 (01) 2-10
- 43 Yeh SH, Jeng B, Lin LW. et al. Implementation and evaluation of a nursing process support system for long-term care: a Taiwanese study. J Clin Nurs 2009; 18 (22) 3089-3097
- 44 Harris-Kojetin LD, Sengupta M, Lendon JP, Rome V, Valverde R, Caffrey C. Long-term care providers and services users in the United States, 2015–2016. Vital Health Stat 2019; 43 (03) 1-88
- 45 Lim C-H, Kim M-J, Heo J-Y, Kim K-J. A conceptual framework for designing informatics-based Services in Manufacturing Industries. In: Procedia CIRP 7th Industrial Product-Service Systems Conference-PSS, industry transformation for sustainability and business. Amsterdam: Elsevier BV; 2015: 72-77
- 46 Barratt M, Choi TY, Li M. Qualitative case studies in operations management: Trends, research outcomes, and future research implications. J Oper Manage 2011; 29 (04) 329-342
- 47 Gehman J, Glaser VL, Eisenhardt KM, Gioia D, Langley A, Corley KG. Finding theory–method fit: a comparison of three qualitative approaches to theory building. J Manage Inq 2018; 27 (03) 284-300
- 48 Baines TS, Lightfoot HW, Evans S. et al. State-of-the-art in product-service systems. Proc Inst Mech Eng, B J Eng Manuf 2007; 221 (10) 1543-1552
- 49 Nam S, Ha C, Lee HC. Redesigning in-flight service with service blueprint based on text analysis. Sustainability 2018; 10 (12) 4492
- 50 Doretto P, Rojas RG, Falcón LM, Dalmau MS, del Castillo MÁ. OUTPATIENT FLOW OPTIMIZATION-the redesign and implementation of non face-to-face flow systems. Int J Integr Care 2016; 16 (06) A306
- 51 Takemura T, Araki K, Arita K. et al. Development of fundamental infrastructure for nationwide EHR in Japan. J Med Syst 2012; 36 (04) 2213-2218
- 52 Ploner N, Prokosch H-U. Integrating a secure and generic mobile app for patient reported outcome acquisition into an EHR infrastructure based on FHIR resources. In: Digital Personalized Health and Medicine. Amsterdam: IOS Press; 2020: 991-995
- 53 Alamsyah MS, Ikhlayel M, Setijadi E. Internet of things–based vital sign monitoring system. Iran J Electr Comput Eng 2020; 10 (06) 5891-5898 (IJECE)
- 54 Raban MZ, Baysari MT, Jorgensen ML, Tariq A, Georgiou A, Westbrook JI. Unmet needs for transdermal patch management in electronic medication administration records: an analysis of data from 66 aged care facilities. Appl Clin Inform 2020; 11 (05) 812-820
- 55 Haghi M, Thurow K, Stoll R. Wearable devices in medical internet of things: scientific research and commercially available devices. Healthc Inform Res 2017; 23 (01) 4-15
- 56 Verdouw C, Sundmaeker H, Tekinerdogan B, Conzon D, Montanaro T. Architecture framework of IoT-based food and farm systems: a multiple case study. Comput Electron Agric 2019; 165: 104939
- 57 Kruchten PB. The 4+ 1 view model of architecture. IEEE Softw 1995; 12 (06) 42-50