Homeopathic Rhus toxicodendron treatment increased the expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in primary cultured mouse chondrocytes
Received18 November 2012
revised27 June 2013
accepted09 July 2013
20 December 2017 (online)
Background: Rhus toxicodendron (Rhus tox) is a homeopathic remedy with anti-inflammatory activities used for arthritis pain.
Methods: We studied the effects of 4×, 30×, 30c and 200c homeopathic dilutions of Rhus tox in primary cultured mouse chondrocytes. We examined the expression of collagen type II, a marker protein of chondrocytes, and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), which is responsible for the biosynthesis of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) and the regulation of the inflammatory response. We assessed the expression of collagen type II and COX-2 using biochemical and immunological methods, such as reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), quantitative (or real-time) RT-PCR (qRT-PCR) and immunoblot assays.
Results: Stimulation with different concentrations of Rhus tox increased the mRNA expression of COX-2, and stimulation with 30× Rhus tox showed the most prominent mRNA expression in both RT-PCR and qRT-PCR analyses. We also observed that homeopathic dilutions of 4×, 30× and 30c Rhus tox inhibited collagen type II expression, suggesting that Rhus tox induced the dedifferentiation of chondrocytes. In addition, treatment with 30× Rhus tox significantly increased PGE2 release compared with other homeopathic dilutions of Rhus tox.
Conclusions: Taken together, these results suggest that homeopathic treatment with Rhus tox induced chondrocyte dedifferentiation and inflammatory responses, such as COX-2 expression and PGE2 production, in primary cultured chondrocytes.
- 1 dos Santos A.L., Perazzo F.F., Cardoso L.G.V., Carvalho J.C.T. In vivo study of the anti-inflammatory effect of Rhus toxicodendron . Homeopathy 2007; 96 (02) 95-101.
- 2 Fisher P., Scott D.L. A randomized controlled trial of homeopathy in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology 2001; 40 (09) 1052-1055.
- 3 Vickers A., Zollman C. ABC of complementary medicine. Homoeopathy. BMJ 1999; 319 (7217): 1115-1118.
- 4 Patil C.R., Rambhade A.D., Jadhav R.B. et al. Modulation of arthritis in rats by Toxicodendron pubescens and its homeopathic dilutions. Homeopathy 2011; 100 (03) 131-137.
- 5 Xia Z., Miyakoshi T., Yoshida T. Lipoxygenase-catalyzed polymerization of phenolic lipids suggests a new mechanism for allergic contact dermatitis induced by urushiol and its analogs. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2004; 315 (03) 704-709.
- 6 Patil C.R., Salunkhe P.S., Gaushal M.H., Gadekar A.R., Agrawal A.M., Surana S.J. Immunomodulatory activity of Toxicodendron pubescens in experimental models. Homeopathy 2009; 98 (03) 154-159.
- 7 Bustin S. Quantification of mRNA using real-time reverse transcription PCR (RT-PCR): trends and problems. J Mol Endocrinol 2002; 29 (01) 23-39.
- 8 Pfaffl M.W. A new mathematical model for relative quantification in real-time RT–PCR. Nucleic Acids Res 2001; 29 (09) e45.
- 9 Freeman W.M., Walker S.J., Vrana K.E. Quantitative RT-PCR: pitfalls and potential. Biotechniques 1999; 26: 112-125.
- 10 Hinz B., Brune K. Cyclooxygenase-2—10 years later. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2002; 300 (02) 367-375.
- 11 Williams C.S., Mann M., DuBois R.N. The role of cyclooxygenases in inflammation, cancer, and development. Oncogene 1999; 18 (55) 7908-7916.
- 12 Cheng A.W.M., Stabler T.V., Bolognesi M., Kraus V.B. Selenomethionine inhibits IL-1β inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase 2 (COX2) expression in primary human chondrocytes. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2011; 19 (01) 118-125.
- 13 Abrahao A.C., Castilho R.M., Squarize C.H., Molinolo A.A., Santos-Pinto Dd Gutkind JS. A role for COX2-derived PGE2 and PGE2-receptor subtypes in head and neck squamous carcinoma cell proliferation. Oral Oncol 2010; 46 (12) 880-887.
- 14 Huh Y.H., Ryu J.-H., Chun J.-S. Regulation of type II collagen expression by histone deacetylase in articular chondrocytes. J Biol Chem 2007; 282 (23) 17123-17131.
- 15 Martel-Pelletier J., Pelletier J.-P., Fahmi H. Cyclooxygenase-2 and prostaglandins in articular tissues. Sem Arthritis Rheum 2003; 33 (03) 155-167.
- 16 Wang P., You X., Yan Y. et al. Cyclic mechanical stretch downregulates IL-1β-induced COX-2 expression and PGE2 production in rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes. Connect Tissue Res 2011; 52 (03) 190-197.
- 17 Denizot F., Lang R. Rapid colorimetric assay for cell growth and survival: modifications to the tetrazolium dye procedure giving improved sensitivity and reliability. J Immunol Methods 1986; 89 (02) 271-277.
- 18 Chandrakant Nimgulkar C., Dattatray Patil S., Dinesh Kumar B. Anti-asthmatic and anti-anaphylactic activities of Blatta orientalis mother tincture. Homeopathy 2011; 100 (03) 138-143.
- 19 de Oliveira S.M., de Oliveira C.C., Abud A.P.R. et al. Mercurius solubilis: actions on macrophages. Homeopathy 2011; 100 (04) 228-236.
- 20 Patel D.R., Ansari I.A., Kachchhi Y.N. et al. Toxicodendron pubescens retains its anti-arthritic efficacy at 1M, 10M and CM homeopathic dilutions. Homeopathy 2012; 101 (03) 165-170.
- 21 Patil C.R., Gadekar A.R., Patel P.N., Rambhade A., Surana S.J., Gaushal M.H. Dual effect of Toxicodendron pubescens on Carrageenan induced paw edema in rats. Homeopathy 2009; 98 (02) 88-91.
- 22 Crofford L.J. COX-1 and COX-2 tissue expression: implications and predictions. J Rheumatol Suppl 1997; 49: 15-19.
- 23 Maldve R.E., Kim Y., Muga S.J., Fischer S.M. Prostaglandin E2 regulation of cyclooxygenase expression in keratinocytes is mediated via cyclic nucleotide-linked prostaglandin receptors. J Lipid Res 2000; 41 (06) 873-881.
- 24 Hinz B., Brune K., Pahl A. Prostaglandin E (2) upregulates cyclooxygenase-2 expression in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2000; 272 (03) 744.