Toxicodendron pubescens retains its anti-arthritic efficacy at 1M, 10M and CM homeopathic dilutions
Received19 January 2012
accepted15 February 2012
29 December 2017 (online)
Background: Our previous studies of Toxicodendron pubescens (Rhus tox) in homeopathic dilutions have shown anti-inflammatory activity in line with the principle of similia. The present study aimed to evaluate its anti-inflammatory activity in 1M, 10M and CM dilutions in rats.
Method: Arthritis was induced by subplantar injection of 0.1 ml of Complete Freund’s Adjuvant (CFA) in the right hind paws of rats. The severity of inflammatory lesions was measured plethysmometrically on 21st day post CFA injection. The intensity of pain was measured using digital Von Frey apparatus. Other estimations included serum C-reactive protein (CRP), hematological parameters, body weight changes, arthritic pain score and radiological analysis of the arthritic paws.
Result: The 1M, 10M and CM homeopathic dilutions of Rhus tox reduced primary and secondary arthritic lesions, improved body weight gain and protected rats against CFA-induced hematological and radiological perturbations. A significant reduction in the serum levels of CRP and an improvement in pain threshold of injected paws was observed in the groups treated with the Rhus tox dilutions.
Conclusion: The anti-arthritic potential of Rhus tox is retained at 1M, 10M and CM dilutions.
- 1 Bewley S., Ross N., Braillon A. et al. Clothing naked quackery and legitimising pseudoscience. BMJ 2011; 343: d5960.
- 2 Pandolfi M. Homeopathy: ex nihilo fit nihil. Eur J Intern Med 2010; 21: 147-148.
- 3 Leick P. Comment on: conspicuous by its absence: the memory of water, macro-entanglement, and the possibility of homeopathy and the nature of the active ingredient in ultramolecular dilutions. Homeopathy 2008; 97: 50-51.
- 4 Guggisberg A., Baumgartner S., Tschopp C., Heusser P. Replication study concerning the effects of homeopathic dilutions of histamine on human basophil degranulation in vitro. Complement Ther Med 2005; 13: 91-100.
- 5 Witt C., Bluth M., Albrecht H., Weibhuhn T., Baumgartner S., Willich S. The in vitro evidence for an effect of high homeopathic potencies - a systematic review of the literature. Complement Ther Med 2007; 15 (02) 128-138.
- 6 Clausen J., Wijk R., Albrecht H. Review of the use of high potencies in basic research on homeopathy. Homeopathy 2011; 100: 288-292.
- 7 Bonamin L., Endler P. Animal models for studying homeopathy and high dilutions: Conceptual critical review. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 37-50.
- 8 Santos A., Perazzo F., Cardoso L., Carvalho J. In vivo study of the anti-infiammatory effect of Rhus toxicodendron . Homeopathy 2007; 96: 95-101.
- 9 Patil C., Gadekar A., Patel P., Rambhade A., Surana S., Gaushal M. Dual effect of Toxicodendron pubescens on carrageenan induced paw edema in rat. Homeopathy 2009; 98: 88-91.
- 10 Patil C., Salunkhe P., Gaushal M., Gadekar A., Agrawal A., Surana S. Immunomodulatory activity of Toxicodendron pubescens in experimental models. Homeopathy 2009; 98: 154-159.
- 11 Patil C., Rambhade A., Jadhav R., Patil K., Dubey V., Toshniwal S. Modulation of arthritis in rats by Toxicodendron pubescens and its homeopathic dilutions. Homeopathy 2011; 100: 131-137.
- 12 Patil K., Patil C., Jadhav R., Mahajan V., Patil P., Gaikwad P. Anti-arthritic activity of bartogenic acid isolated from fruits of Barringtonia racemosa . Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011 10.1093/ecam/nep148.
- 13 Waldiceu A., Schivo I., Cunha T., Liew F., Ferreira S., Cunha F. Interleukin-18 induces mechanical hypernociception in rats via endothelin acting on ETB receptors in a morphine sensitive manner. JEPT 2004; 310 (02) 710-717.
- 14 Conway J., Wakefield J., Brown R., Marron B., Sekut L., Stimpson S. Inhibition of cartilage and bone destruction in adjuvant arthritis in the rat by a matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor. J Exp Med 1995; 182: 449-457.
- 15 Blackham A., Burns J., Farmer J., Radziwonik H., Westwick J. An X-ray analysis of adjuvant arthritis in the rat. The effect of prednisolone and indomethacin. Agents and Actions 1977; 7 (01) 145-151.
- 16 Gold P., Novella S., Roy R. et al. Homeopathy-quackery or a key to the future of medicine?. Homeopathy 2008; 97: 28-33.
- 17 Chaplin M. The memory of water: an overview. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 143-150.
- 18 Anick D., Ives J. The silica hypothesis for homeopathy: physical chemistry. Homeopathy 2007; 96 (03) 189-195.
- 19 Guedes J., Carrasco S., Ferreira C. et al. Ultra High Dilution of triiodothyronine modifies cellular apoptosis in Rana catesbeiana tadpole tail in vitro. Homeopathy 2011; 100: 220-227.
- 20 Chikramane P., Suresh A., Bellare J., Kane S. Extreme homeopathic dilutions retain starting materials: a nanoparticulate perspective. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 231-242.
- 21 Shang A., Muntener K., Nartey L. et al. Are the clinical effects of homoeopathy placebo effects? Comparative study of placebo-controlled trials of homoeopathy and allopathy. Lancet 2005; 366: 726-732.
- 22 Ludtke R., Rutten A. The conclusions on the effectiveness of homeopathy highly depend on the set of analyzed trials. J Clin Epidemiol 2008; 61: 1197-1204.
- 23 Fisher P. What about the evidence base for homoeopathy?. BMJ 2011; 343: d6689.
- 24 Milgrom L. Treating Leick with like: response to criticisms of the use of entanglement to illustrate homeopathy. Homeopathy 2008; 97: 96-99.
- 25 Pinto L., Castilhos L., Telhado J., Franca T., Brito M. Peixoto. Effects of high diluted solutions of palicourea marcgravii St hill in rats poisoned by aqueous extracts of this plant. Int J High Dilution Res 2008; 7 (25) 193-198.
- 26 Viriato E., Bianchetti E., Santos K. et al. Study of high dilutions of copaiba oil on inflammatory Process. Int J High Dilution Res 2009; 8 (26) 9-14.
- 27 Walchli C., Baumgartner S., Bastide M. Effect of low doses and high homeopathic potencies in normal and cancerous human lymphocytes: an in vitro isopathic study. J Altern Complement Med 2006; 12 (05) 421-427.
- 28 Oliveira C., Abud A., Oliveira S. et al. Developments on drug discovery and on new therapeutics: highly diluted tinctures act as biological response modifiers. BMC 2011 10.1186/1472-6882-11-101.
- 29 Sukul N., Ghosh S., Sinhababu S., Sukul A. Effect of Nux vomica mother tincture, strychnine and Nux vomica 30c on the alcohol addiction of albino rats. British Homeopathic Journal 2000; 89 (Suppl. 01) S63.
- 30 Vega G., Poitevin B., Ordaz L. Histamine at high dilution reduces spectral density in delta band in sleeping rats. Homeopathy 2005; 94: 86-91.
- 31 Endler P., Thieves K., Reich C. et al. Repetitions of fundamental research models for homeopathically prepared dilutions beyond 10−23: a bibliometric study. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 25-36.