Anti-asthmatic and anti-anaphylactic activities of Blatta orientalis mother tincture
Received13 August 2009
revised28 June 2010
accepted10 August 2010
18 December 2017 (online)
Objectives: To study the anti-asthmatic and anti-anaphylactic activities of Blatta orientalis mother tincture (B. orientalis MT), a homeopathic medicine, in experimental animal models.
Methods: The anti-asthmatic activity of B. orientalis MT was studied in the bronchial hyperactivity models, acetylcholine and histamine induced bronchospasm, in guinea pigs. Anti-anaphylactic activity was tested by active and passive anaphylaxis models in rats, anti-eosinophilic activity was tested by milk-induced eosinophilia in mice.
Results: Significant protection against acetylcholine and histamine aerosol-induced bronchospasm in B. orientalis MT treated guinea pigs was seen. In active and passive anaphylaxis albino rat models significant reduction in mesenteric mast cells degranulation, serum IgE level and eosinophil cell count was observed in the B. orientalis MT treated rat group when compared with the sensitized control rat group.
Conclusion: These results reveal broad activity of B. orientalis MT. It may have nonselective anti-asthmatic activity. The anti-anaphylactic activity of B. orientalis MT may be due to mast cell stabilization, suppression of IgE and eosinophil cell count.
- 1 Asthma facts, United States Indoor Environments Division Environmental Protection Agency Office of Air and Radiation (6609J) EPA-402-F-04-019 (6609J), 2009.
- 2 British Thoracic Society. Guidelines for the management of asthma: a summary. BMJ 1993; 306: 776-782.
- 3 Kumar R.K. Understanding airway wall remodeling in asthma: a basis for improvements in therapy?. Pharmacol Ther 2001; 91: 93-104.
- 4 Edwards M.R., Bartlett N.W., Clarke D. et al. Targeting the NF-κB pathway in asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Pharmacol Ther 2009; 121: 1-13.
- 5 Chiarotti F., Conforti A., Bellavite P. et al. Rat models of acute inflammation: a randomized controlled study on the effects of homeopathic remedies. BMC Complement Altern Med 2007; 7: 1-10.
- 6 De Freitas L.A., Goldenstein E., Sanna O.M. Evaluation of the effectiveness of Blatta orientalis in the prevention and treatment of infantile asthma. Homeopath Franc 1990; 78 (04) 25-30.
- 7 Stephen M. Homeopathic remedies for asthma. Can Fam Physician 1997; 43: 1917.
- 8 NIH. Cockroach allergens have great impact on childhood asthma in many US cities. J Allergy Clin Immunol.
- 9 Boericke W. Homoeopathic materia medica and repertory. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 1996.
- 10 Bruin A., Ellinger L. In: Baars E., Baars T. Desk study on homeopathy in organic livestock farming: Principles, Obstacles and Recommendations for Practice and Research. 2003. Driebergen: Louis Bolk Institute; pp 1–44.
- 11 Banerjee D.D. 2nd edn New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; Augmented text book of homoeopathic pharmacy . Vol 24. 2006. pp 68–117, 245–279.
- 12 Lowery O.H., Rosebrough N.J., Farr A.L., Randall R.J. Protein measurement with folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951; 193: 265-275.
- 13 Vogel H.G. Respiratory activity, drug discovery and evaluation, pharmacological assays. Berlin: Springer; 2002. pp 351–383.
- 14 Anil K.D., Ramu P. Effect of methanolic extract of Benincasa hispidaagainst histamine and acetylcholine induced bronchospasm in guinea pigs. Indian J Pharmacol 2002; 34: 365-366.
- 15 Mitra S.K., Gopumadhavan S., Venketaranganna M.V., Antulikar S.D. et al. Antiasthmatic and antianaphyletic effect of E-721 B, a herbal formulation. Indian J Pharmacol 1999; 31: 133-137.
- 16 Mitra S.K., Gopumadhavan S., Mohamaed R., Venkataranganna M.V. et al. Antiasthmatic and anaphylactic activity of HK-07, a herbal formulation. Indian J Pharmacol 2005; 37: 300-303.
- 17 Talib V.H., Khurana S.R. A hand book of medical laboratory technology. CBS Publishers and Distributors, Directorate General of Health Services Govt. of India; 1988.
- 18 Brozmanova M., Calkovasky V., Plevkova J. et al. Early and late allergic phase related cough response in sensitized guinea pigs with experimental allergic rhinitis. Physiol Res 2006; 55: 577-584.
- 19 Norton S. Quantitative determination of mast cell fragmentation by compound 48/80. Br J Pharmacol 1954; 9: 494-497.
- 20 Janahi I.A., Elidemir O., Shardonofsky F.R. et al. Recurrent milk aspiration produces changes in airway mechanics, lung eosinophilia, and goblet cell hyperplasia in a murine model. Pediatr Res 2000; 48: 776-781.
- 21 Adel P.K. et al. Elicitation of the allergic reaction in β lactoglobulin-sensitized Balb/c mice: biochemical and clinical manifestations differ according to the structure of the allergen used for challenge. Allergy 2006; 65: 380-386.
- 22 Vadnere G.P., Somani R.S., Singhai A.K. et al. Studies on antiasthmatic activity of aqueous extract of Clerodendron phlomidis . Pharmacologyonline 2007; 1: 487-494.
- 23 Dhonde S.M., Siraskar B.D., Burande M.D. et al. Anti-asthmatic activity of ethanolic extract of stem bark of Bauhinia variegata Linn. Adv Pharmacol Toxicol 2008; 9 (01) 131-138.
- 24 Anshutz E.P. New, old and forgotten remedies. 1st edn New Delhi: B. Jain Publisher (P) Ltd; 1996.
- 25 Emma M.C., Israel F.C., Steven L.K. et al. Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 mediates cockroach allergen-induced bronchial hyperreactivity in normal but not CCR22/2 mice: the role of mast cells. J Immunol 1999; 163: 2160-2167.
- 26 Alla G., Mi L., Sabina W., Martin D.C., Anna P., Alexander W. Crystal structure of cockroach allergen Bla g 2, an unusual zinc binding aspartic protease with a novel mode of self-inhibition. J Mol Biol 2005; 348: 433-444.
- 27 Brusselle G.G., Kips J.C., Tavernier J.H. et al. Attenuation of allergic airway inflammation in IL-4 deficient mice. J Clin Exp Allergy 1994; 24: 73-80.
- 28 Rang H.P., Dale M.M., Ritter J.M., Moore P.K. Respiratory system. Pharmacology. 5th edn 2003. New Delhi: Elsevier Science, Churchill Livingstone; 340-351.
- 29 Jacoby D.B., Costello M.R., Fryer A.D. Eosinophil recruitment to the airway nerves. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001; 107: 211-218.
- 30 Burrows B., Martinez F.D., Halonan M., Barbee R.A., Cline M.G. Association of asthma with serum IgE level and skin test reactivity to allergens. N Engl J Med 1989; 32: 271-277.
- 31 Rao C.V. An introduction to immunology. Mumbai: Narosa Publishing House; 2005.