Subscribe to RSS
Osteomyocutaneous Free Fibula Flap Prevents Osteoradionecrosis and Osteomyelitis in Head and Neck Cancer ReconstructionFunding None.
Background Osteoradionecrosis (ORN) is one of the most severe complications of free fibula reconstruction after radiotherapy. The gold standard treatment of osteomyelitis involves extensive debridement, antibiotics, and sufficiently vascularized muscle flap coverage for better circulation. Therefore, we hypothesized that free fibula flap with muscle could decrease the risk of ORN.
Methods This study consisted of 85 patients who underwent reconstruction with free fibula flap in head and neck cancer by a single reconstructive surgeon at Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital over a period of 19 years (1998–2016). Patients with postoperative adjuvant radiotherapy were included in the study and were grouped by either free fibula osteocutaneous flap or free fibula osteomyocutaneous flap (with flexor hallucis longus muscle), and the incidence of ORN was compared.
Results Of the 85 patients, 15 were reconstructed with osteocutaneous fibula flap and 70 were with osteomyocutaneous fibula flap. The rate of ORN or osteomyelitis was significantly lower in the muscle group (18.6%, n = 13/70 vs. 46.7%, n = 7/15, p = 0.020, Chi-square test).
Conclusion Vascularized muscle transfer increases perfusion of surrounding tissues and the bone flap, thereby decreasing the incidence of osteomyelitis or osteonecrosis.
Received: 21 August 2020
Accepted: 19 November 2020
31 January 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Marx RE. Osteoradionecrosis: a new concept of its pathophysiology. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1983; 41 (05) 283-288
- 2 Hudson JW. Osteomyelitis of the jaws: a 50-year perspective. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1993; 51 (12) 1294-1301
- 3 Mücke T, Koschinski J, Rau A. et al. Surgical outcome and prognostic factors after treatment of osteoradionecrosis of the jaws. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2013; 139 (03) 389-394
- 4 Curi MM, Dib LL. Osteoradionecrosis of the jaws: a retrospective study of the background factors and treatment in 104 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1997; 55 (06) 540-544 , discussion 545–546
- 5 Beumer J, Harrison R, Sanders B, Kurrasch M. Osteoradionecrosis: predisposing factors and outcomes of therapy. Head Neck Surg 1984; 6 (04) 819-827
- 6 Kluth EV, Jain PR, Stuchell RN, Frich Jr JC. A study of factors contributing to the development of osteoradionecrosis of the jaws. J Prosthet Dent 1988; 59 (02) 194-201
- 7 Lee IJ, Koom WS, Lee CG. et al. Risk factors and dose-effect relationship for mandibular osteoradionecrosis in oral and oropharyngeal cancer patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009; 75 (04) 1084-1091
- 8 Clayman L. Clinical controversies in oral and maxillofacial surgery: Part two. Management of dental extractions in irradiated jaws: a protocol without hyperbaric oxygen therapy. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1997; 55 (03) 275-281
- 9 Wahl MJ. Osteoradionecrosis prevention myths. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006; 64 (03) 661-669
- 10 Thorn JJ, Hansen HS, Specht L, Bastholt L. Osteoradionecrosis of the jaws: clinical characteristics and relation to the field of irradiation. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2000; 58 (10) 1088-1093 , discussion 1093–1095
- 11 Chrcanovic BR, Reher P, Sousa AA, Harris M. Osteoradionecrosis of the jaws--a current overview--part 1: physiopathology and risk and predisposing factors. Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010; 14 (01) 3-16
- 12 Marx RE. A new concept in the treatment of osteoradionecrosis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1983; 41 (06) 351-357
- 13 Hao SP, Chen HC, Wei FC, Chen CY, Yeh AR, Su JL. Systematic management of osteoradionecrosis in the head and neck. Laryngoscope 1999; 109 (08) 1324-1327 , discussion 1327–1328
- 14 Vissink A, Burlage FR, Spijkervet FK, Jansma J, Coppes RP. Prevention and treatment of the consequences of head and neck radiotherapy. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 2003; 14 (03) 213-225
- 15 Wei FC, Celik N, Yang WG, Chen IH, Chang YM, Chen HC. Complications after reconstruction by plate and soft-tissue free flap in composite mandibular defects and secondary salvage reconstruction with osteocutaneous flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 2003; 112 (01) 37-42
- 16 Deutsch M, Kroll SS, Ainsle N, Wang B. Influence of radiation on late complications in patients with free fibular flaps for mandibular reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg 1999; 42 (06) 662-664
- 17 Choi S, Schwartz DL, Farwell DG, Austin-Seymour M, Futran N. Radiation therapy does not impact local complication rates after free flap reconstruction for head and neck cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 130 (11) 1308-1312
- 18 Mathes SJ, Alpert BS, Chang N. Use of the muscle flap in chronic osteomyelitis: experimental and clinical correlation. Plast Reconstr Surg 1982; 69 (05) 815-829
- 19 Anthony JP, Mathes SJ, Alpert BS. The muscle flap in the treatment of chronic lower extremity osteomyelitis: results in patients over 5 years after treatment. Plast Reconstr Surg 1991; 88 (02) 311-318
- 20 Arnold PG, Yugueros P, Hanssen AD. Muscle flaps in osteomyelitis of the lower extremity: a 20-year account. Plast Reconstr Surg 1999; 104 (01) 107-110
- 21 Yang KC, Leung JK, Chen JS. Double-paddle peroneal tissue transfer for oromandibular reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 2000; 106 (01) 47-55
- 22 Wang KY, Yang KC, Su FY. et al. Association between blood pressure and postoperative hematomas in the patients undergoing head and neck cancer reconstruction. Head Neck 2019; 41 (09) 3241-3246
- 23 Wang KY, Lin YS, Chen LW, Yang KC, Huang WC, Liu WC. Risk of free flap failure in head and neck reconstruction: analysis of 21,548 cases from a nationwide database. Ann Plast Surg 2020; 84 (1S, Suppl 1): S3-S6
- 24 Raguse JD, Hossamo J, Tinhofer I. et al. Patient and treatment-related risk factors for osteoradionecrosis of the jaw in patients with head and neck cancer. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2016; 121 (03) 215-21.e1
- 25 Kuhnt T, Stang A, Wienke A, Vordermark D, Schweyen R, Hey J. Potential risk factors for jaw osteoradionecrosis after radiotherapy for head and neck cancer. Radiat Oncol 2016; 11: 101
- 26 Tsai CJ, Hofstede TM, Sturgis EM. et al. Osteoradionecrosis and radiation dose to the mandible in patients with oropharyngeal cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2013; 85 (02) 415-420
- 27 Sroussi HY, Epstein JB, Bensadoun RJ. et al. Common oral complications of head and neck cancer radiation therapy: mucositis, infections, saliva change, fibrosis, sensory dysfunctions, dental caries, periodontal disease, and osteoradionecrosis. Cancer Med 2017; 6 (12) 2918-2931
- 28 Owosho AA, Tsai CJ, Lee RS. et al. The prevalence and risk factors associated with osteoradionecrosis of the jaw in oral and oropharyngeal cancer patients treated with intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT): The Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center experience. Oral Oncol 2017; 64: 44-51
- 29 MacDougall JA, Evans AM, Lindsay RK. Osteoradionecrosis of the mandible and its treatment. Am J Surg 1963; 106: 816-818
- 30 Salgado CJ, Mardini S, Jamali AA, Ortiz J, Gonzales R, Chen HC. Muscle versus nonmuscle flaps in the reconstruction of chronic osteomyelitis defects. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006; 118 (06) 1401-1411
- 31 Wang CC, Cheng MH, Hao SP, Wu CC, Huang SS. Osteoradionecrosis with combined mandibulotomy and marginal mandibulectomy. Laryngoscope 2005; 115 (11) 1963-1967
- 32 Celik N, Wei FC, Chen HC. et al. Osteoradionecrosis of the mandible after oromandibular cancer surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 2002; 109 (06) 1875-1881
- 33 Fliss E, Yanko R, Bracha G. et al. The Evolution of the Free Fibula Flap for Head and Neck Reconstruction: 21 Years of Experience with 128 Flaps. J Reconstr Microsurg 2020
- 34 Hamscha UM, Weninger WJ, Freystätter C, Tzou CH, Radtke C. Anatomical study of a chimeric fascio-osteomyocutaneous fibula flap for free microvascular tissue transfer. J Reconstr Microsurg 2019; 35 (06) 438-444
- 35 Chang DW, Oh HK, Robb GL, Miller MJ. Management of advanced mandibular osteoradionecrosis with free flap reconstruction. Head Neck 2001; 23 (10) 830-835
- 36 Rice N, Polyzois I, Ekanayake K, Omer O, Stassen LF. The management of osteoradionecrosis of the jaws--a review. Surgeon 2015; 13 (02) 101-109
- 37 Scholl L, Chang E, Reitz B, Chang J. Sternal osteomyelitis: use of vacuum-assisted closure device as an adjunct to definitive closure with sternectomy and muscle flap reconstruction. J Card Surg 2004; 19 (05) 453-461
- 38 Gonzalez MH, Weinzweig N. Muscle flaps in the treatment of osteomyelitis of the lower extremity. J Trauma 2005; 58 (05) 1019-1023
- 39 Ni Y, Zhang X, Zhang Z. et al. Assessment of fibula flap with flexor hallucis longus's effect on head & neck tumor patients' quality of life and function of donor site. Oral Oncol 2020; 100: 104489