Phalloplasty in Female-to-Male Transsexuals by Gottlieb and Levine's Free Radial Forearm Flap Technique—A Long-Term Single-Center Experience Over More than Two DecadesFunding None.
12 July 2017
28 September 2017
15 November 2017 (eFirst)
Background The free radial forearm flap phalloplasty is the most utilized method for penile reconstruction. Among the techniques described in the literature, evidence for the flap design after Gottlieb and Levine is poor.
Methods From January 1993 until December 2015, 402 phalloplasties were performed in our clinic. Among the 247 free radial forearm flap phalloplasties, 232 free radial forearm flap phalloplasties were performed after Gottlieb and Levine in 229 patients. Operation and patient-specific characteristics were evaluated.
Results This study presents the highest number of free radial forearm flap phalloplasties after Gottlieb and Levine. The rate of total flap failure was 3%; 46% of the patients were heavy smokers. Urinary fistulae and strictures are common. The revision rate for urinary fistulae and/or strictures was 1.3 per patient. The number of postoperative complications, such as bleeding (14.2%), thrombosis of the flap requiring revision (11.2%), or delayed wound healing (16.8%) was considering the high rate of nicotine abuse (45.9%) reasonable.
Conclusion The free radial forearm phalloplasty in the design by Gottlieb and Levine is well established at our institution and has proven safe and reliable since 1993. The operative results are satisfactory for both patients and surgeons even in the presence of relevant comorbidities and heavy smoking. We acknowledge the long ordeal and psychological pressure that our patients suffer from, before presenting in our outpatient clinic.
Obtained by the ethical committee of the federal states' medical association.
- 1 Baumeister S, Sohn M, Domke C, Exner K. Phalloplasty in female-to-male transsexuals: experience from 259 cases [in German]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 2011; 43 (04) 215-221
- 2 Holzbach T, Giunta RE, Machens H-G, Müller D. Phalloplasty with pedicled anterolateral thigh flap (“ALT-Flap”) [in German]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 2011; 43 (04) 227-231
- 3 Scholten MM, Grundentaler R, Bull S, Küntscher MV. Variety of the radial forearm phalloplasty with respect to urethral construction - a review [in German]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 2013; 45 (04) 211-216
- 4 Selvaggi G, Monstrey S, Hoebeke P. , et al. Donor-site morbidity of the radial forearm free flap after 125 phalloplasties in gender identity disorder. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006; 118 (05) 1171-1177
- 5 Monstrey S, Hoebeke P, Selvaggi G. , et al. Penile reconstruction: is the radial forearm flap really the standard technique?. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009; 124 (02) 510-518
- 6 Monstrey SJ, Ceulemans P, Hoebeke P. Sex reassignment surgery in the female-to-male transsexual. Semin Plast Surg 2011; 25 (03) 229-244
- 7 Lumen N, Monstrey S, Selvaggi G. , et al. Phalloplasty: a valuable treatment for males with penile insufficiency. Urology 2008; 71 (02) 272-276 , discussion 276–277
- 8 Doornaert M, Hoebeke P, Ceulemans P, T'Sjoen G, Heylens G, Monstrey S. Penile reconstruction with the radial forearm flap: an update. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 2011; 43 (04) 208-214
- 9 Rieger UM, Majenka P, Wirthmann A, Sohn M, Bozkurt A, Djedovic G. Comparative study of the free microvascular groin flap: optimizing the donor site after free radial forearm flap phalloplasty. Urology 2016; 95: 192-196
- 10 Van Caenegem E, Verhaeghe E, Taes Y. , et al. Long-term evaluation of donor-site morbidity after radial forearm flap phalloplasty for transsexual men. J Sex Med 2013; 10 (06) 1644-1651
- 11 Papadopulos NA, Schaff J, Biemer E. Usefulness of free sensate osteofasciocutaneous forearm and fibula flaps for neophallus construction. J Reconstr Microsurg 2001; 17 (06) 407-412
- 12 Hage JJ, Bout CA, Bloem JJ, Megens JA. Phalloplasty in female-to-male transsexuals: what do our patients ask for?. Ann Plast Surg 1993; 30 (04) 323-326
- 13 Wirthmann A, Finke JC, Giovanoli P, Lindenblatt N. Long-term follow-up of donor site morbidity after defect coverage with Integra following radial forearm flap elevation. Eur J Plast Surg 2014; 37 (03) 159-166
- 14 Chang T-S, Hwang W-Y. Forearm flap in one-stage reconstruction of the penis. Plast Reconstr Surg 1984; 74 (02) 251-258
- 15 Gottlieb LJ, Levine LA. A new design for the radial forearm free-flap phallic construction. Plast Reconstr Surg 1993; 92 (02) 276-283 , discussion 284
- 16 Ito O, Igawa HH, Suzuki S. , et al. Evaluation of the donor site in patients who underwent reconstruction with a free radial forearm flap. J Reconstr Microsurg 2005; 21 (02) 113-117
- 17 Legaillard P, Pelissier P, Peres JM, Martin D, Baudet J. Transsexualism: surgical aspects. An experience of the plastic surgical unit's in Bordeaux [in French]. Ann Chir Plast Esthet 1994; 39 (01) 43-55 , discussion 56
- 18 Chang LD, Buncke G, Slezak S, Buncke HJ. Cigarette smoking, plastic surgery, and microsurgery. J Reconstr Microsurg 1996; 12 (07) 467-474
- 19 Bikhchandani J, Varma SK, Henderson HP. Is it justified to refuse breast reduction to smokers?. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2007; 60 (09) 1050-1054
- 20 Rohrich RJ, Coberly DM, Krueger JK, Brown SA. Planning elective operations on patients who smoke: survey of North American plastic surgeons. Plast Reconstr Surg 2002; 109 (01) 350-355 , discussion 356–357