Protective Effects of Hypericum perforatum and Quercetin in a Rat Model of Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury of Testes
15 March 2017
06 June 2017
24 August 2017 (eFirst)
Purpose This study aimed to compare the protective effects of Hypericum perforatum (Hp) and quercetin, a flavonoid, against ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury in rat testes.
Methods This study included 28 male Wistar albino rats that were divided into four groups. Except for the sham group, torsion was created by rotating both testes at an angle of 720 degrees clockwise for 2 hours. The Hp and quercetin groups received 25 mg/kg Hp and quercetin intraperitoneally 30 minutes before detorsion, respectively. Orchiectomy was performed for the measurement of markers of oxidative stress and histopathological examination.
Results In the Hp and quercetin groups, malondialdehyde (MDA) and nitric oxide (NO) levels and total oxidant capacity were significantly lower, the glutathione level and total antioxidant status were significantly higher, and Johnsen's testis biopsy scores were significantly higher than in the torsion/detorsion group (p ˂ 0.001). The markers of oxidative injury were significantly lower (p ˂ 0.001) and total antioxidant status was significantly higher (p ˂ 0.001), except for glutathione (p = 0.62) in the Hp group than in the quercetin group. Johnsen's score between Hp and quercetin groups was not significantly different (p = 0.80).
Conclusion Both Hp and quercetin have protective effects against I/R injury of the testes, but the protective effect of Hp was found to be stronger than that of quercetin.
- 1 Rifaioglu MM, Motor S, Davarci I. , et al. Protective effect of ebselen on experimental testicular torsion and detorsion injury. Andrologia 2014; 46 (10) 1134-1140
- 2 Dilber Y, Inan S, Ercan GA, Sencan A. The role of CAPE in PI3K/AKT/mTOR activation and oxidative stress on testis torsion. Acta Histochem 2016; 118 (01) 31-37
- 3 Visser AJ, Heyns CF. Testicular function after torsion of the spermatic cord. BJU Int 2003; 92 (03) 200-203
- 4 Orčić DZ, Mimica-Dukić NM, Francišković MM, Petrović SS, Jovin ED. Antioxidant activity relationship of phenolic compounds in Hypericum perforatum L. Chem Cent J 2011; 5: 34
- 5 Ocak T, Duran A, Özyalvaçli G. , et al. Protective effects of montelukast and Hypericum perforatum against intestinal ischemia-reperfusion injury in hamsters. Turk J Med Sci 2014; 44 (03) 381-386
- 6 Hunt EJ, Lester CE, Lester EA, Tackett RL. Effect of St. John's wort on free radical production. Life Sci 2001; 69 (02) 181-190
- 7 Di Paola R, Mazzon E, Muià C. , et al. Protective effect of Hypericum perforatum in zymosan-induced multiple organ dysfunction syndrome: relationship to its inhibitory effect on nitric oxide production and its peroxynitrite scavenging activity. Nitric Oxide 2007; 16 (01) 118-130
- 8 Bayramoglu G, Bayramoglu A, Engur S, Senturk H, Ozturk N, Colak S. The hepatoprotective effects of Hypericum perforatum L. on hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Cytotechnology 2014; 66 (03) 443-448
- 9 Saki K, Bahmani M, Rafieian-Kopaei M. The effect of most important medicinal plants on two importnt psychiatric disorders (anxiety and depression)-a review. Asian Pac J Trop Med 2014; 7S1: S34-S42
- 10 Abolfathi AA, Doustar Y, Mortazavi P, Rezai A. Effects of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) extract on renal ischemic reperfusion injury in rats. J Anim Vet Adv 2011; 10: 3244-3248
- 11 Aktoz T, Kanter M, Aktas C. Protective effects of quercetin on testicular torsion/detorsion-induced ischaemia-reperfusion injury in rats. Andrologia 2010; 42 (06) 376-383
- 12 Kanter M, Aktas C, Erboga M. Protective effects of quercetin against apoptosis and oxidative stress in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat testis. Food Chem Toxicol 2012; 50 (3–4): 719-725
- 13 Mihara M, Uchiyama M. Determination of malonaldehyde precursor in tissues by thiobarbituric acid test. Anal Biochem 1978; 86: 271-278
- 14 Ellman GL. Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys 1959; 82 (01) 70-77
- 15 Erel O. A novel automated direct measurement method for total antioxidant capacity using a new generation, more stable ABTS radical cation. Clin Biochem 2004; 37 (04) 277-285
- 16 Zeballos GA, Bernstein RD, Thompson CI. , et al. Pharmacodynamics of plasma nitrate/nitrite as an indication of nitric oxide formation in conscious dogs. Circulation 1995; 91 (12) 2982-2988
- 17 Johnsen SG. Testicular biopsy score count--a method for registration of spermatogenesis in human testes: normal values and results in 335 hypogonadal males. Hormones 1970; 1 (01) 2-25
- 18 Beheshtian A, Salmasi AH, Payabvash S. , et al. Protective effects of sildenafil administration on testicular torsion/detorsion damage in rats. World J Urol 2008; 26 (02) 197-202
- 19 Silva BA, Ferreres F, Malva JO, Dias AC. Phytochemical and antioxidant characterization of Hypericum perforatum alcoholic extracts. Food Chem 2005; 90 (01) 157-167
- 20 Aydin A, Sakrak O, Yilmaz TU, Kerem M. The effects of Hypericum perforatum on hepatic ischemia- -reperfusion injury in rats. Bratisl Lek Listy (Tlacene Vyd) 2014; 115 (04) 209-215
- 21 De Paola R, Muià C, Mazzon E. , et al. Effects of Hypericum perforatum extract in a rat model of ischemia and reperfusion injury. Shock 2005; 24 (03) 255-263
- 22 Chi KK, Zhang WH, Wang GC. , et al. Comparison of intraperitoneal and intraepididymal quercetin for the prevention of testicular torsion/detorsion-induced injury. Urology 2017; 99: 106-111
- 23 Wei SM, Yan ZZ, Zhou J. Protective effect of rutin on testicular ischemia-reperfusion injury. J Pediatr Surg 2011; 46 (07) 1419-1424
- 24 Abarikwu SO, Iserhienrhien BO, Badejo TA. Rutin- and selenium-attenuated cadmium-induced testicular pathophysiology in rats. Hum Exp Toxicol 2013; 32 (04) 395-406
- 25 Abd-Ellah MF, Aly HA, Mokhlis HA, Abdel-Aziz AH. Quercetin attenuates di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate-induced testicular toxicity in adult rats. Hum Exp Toxicol 2016; 35 (03) 232-243