Downregulated Elastin Microfibril Interfacer 1 Expression in the Pulmonary Vasculature of Experimental Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
19 April 2017
23 May 2017
12 July 2017 (eFirst)
Aim Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is a severe complication of congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH). Transforming growth factor-β (TGFβ) signaling is suggested to be involved in PH development by regulating embryonic angiogenesis, cell proliferation, and cell differentiation. Altered TGFβ signaling has been demonstrated in experimental CDH lungs. Elastin microfibril interfacer 1 (Emilin-1) is an extracellular matrix glycoprotein expressed in endothelial and vascular smooth muscle cells and known to regulate TGFβ processing and arterial diameter. We designed this study to investigate the pulmonary vascular expression of Emilin-1 in nitrofen-induced CDH rats.
Materials and Methods Following ethical approval (REC913b, REC1103), time-pregnant Sprague Dawley rats received nitrofen or vehicle on gestational day 9 (D9). Fetuses were sacrificed on D21 and divided into CDH group and control group. Quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (n = 11 each group), Western blot analysis, and confocal microscopy were used to determine the gene and protein expression of Emilin-1.
Main Results Relative Emilin-1 messenger RNA (ribonucleic acid) levels were significantly downregulated in CDH lung tissue compared with controls (CDH: 0.043 ± 0.003; control: 0.067 ± 0.004; p < 0.001). Western blotting confirmed the decreased pulmonary Emilin-1 protein expression in CDH lungs. Confocal microscopy demonstrated a markedly diminished expression of Emilin-1 in the CDH pulmonary vasculature compared with controls.
Conclusion To our knowledge, this study demonstrates for the first time a decreased Emilin-1 gene and protein expression in the pulmonary vasculature of nitrofen-induced CDH. Emilin-1 deficiency through its interaction with TGFß may result in abnormal vascular remodeling resulting in PH in this model.
- 1 McGivern MR, Best KE, Rankin J. , et al. Epidemiology of congenital diaphragmatic hernia in Europe: a register-based study. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2015; 100 (02) F137-F144
- 2 Guignabert C, Tu L, Le Hiress M. , et al. Pathogenesis of pulmonary arterial hypertension: lessons from cancer. Eur Respir Rev 2013; 22 (130) 543-551
- 3 Kool H, Mous D, Tibboel D, de Klein A, Rottier RJ. Pulmonary vascular development goes awry in congenital lung abnormalities. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 2014; 102 (04) 343-358
- 4 ten Dijke P, Arthur HM. Extracellular control of TGFbeta signalling in vascular development and disease. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2007; 8 (11) 857-869
- 5 Machado RD, Southgate L, Eichstaedt CA. , et al. Pulmonary arterial hypertension: a current perspective on established and emerging molecular genetic defects. Hum Mutat 2015; 36 (12) 1113-1127
- 6 Raman M, Cobb MH. TGF-beta regulation by Emilin1: new links in the etiology of hypertension. Cell 2006; 124 (05) 893-895
- 7 Gosemann JH, Friedmacher F, Fujiwara N, Alvarez LAJ, Corcionivoschi N, Puri P. Disruption of the bone morphogenetic protein receptor 2 pathway in nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 2013; 98 (04) 304-309
- 8 Oue T, Shima H, Taira Y, Puri P. Administration of antenatal glucocorticoids upregulates peptide growth factor gene expression in nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic hernia in rats. J Pediatr Surg 2000; 35 (01) 109-112
- 9 Zimmer J, Takahashi T, Hofmann AD, Puri P. Decreased Endoglin expression in the pulmonary vasculature of nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic hernia rat model. Pediatr Surg Int 2017; 33 (02) 263-268
- 10 Burgos CM, Uggla AR, Fagerström-Billai F, Eklöf A-C, Frenckner B, Nord M. Gene expression analysis in hypoplastic lungs in the nitrofen model of congenital diaphragmatic hernia. J Pediatr Surg 2010; 45 (07) 1445-1454
- 11 Braghetta P, Ferrari A, de Gemmis P. , et al. Expression of the EMILIN-1 gene during mouse development. Matrix Biol 2002; 21 (07) 603-609
- 12 Litteri G, Carnevale D, D'Urso A. , et al. Vascular smooth muscle Emilin-1 is a regulator of arteriolar myogenic response and blood pressure. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2012; 32 (09) 2178-2184
- 13 Zanetti M, Braghetta P, Sabatelli P. , et al. EMILIN-1 deficiency induces elastogenesis and vascular cell defects. Mol Cell Biol 2004; 24 (02) 638-650
- 14 Zacchigna L, Vecchione C, Notte A. , et al. Emilin1 links TGF-beta maturation to blood pressure homeostasis. Cell 2006; 124 (05) 929-942
- 15 Hofmann AD, Friedmacher F, Hunziker M. , et al. Upregulation of serotonin-receptor-2a and serotonin transporter expression in the pulmonary vasculature of nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic hernia. J Pediatr Surg 2014; 49 (06) 871-874
- 16 Takahashi T, Zimmer J, Friedmacher F, Puri P. Expression of Prx1 and Tcf4 is decreased in the diaphragmatic muscle connective tissue of nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic hernia. J Pediatr Surg 2016; 51 (12) 1931-1935
- 17 Takahashi T, Friedmacher F, Zimmer J, Puri P. Expression of T-box transcription factors 2, 4 and 5 is decreased in the branching airway mesenchyme of nitrofen-induced hypoplastic lungs. Pediatr Surg Int 2017; 33 (02) 139-143
- 18 Zimmer J, Takahashi T, Hofmann AD, Puri P. Imbalance of NFATc2 and KV1.5 expression in rat pulmonary vasculature of nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2017; 27 (01) 68-73
- 19 Venkatesha S, Toporsian M, Lam C. , et al. Soluble endoglin contributes to the pathogenesis of preeclampsia. Nat Med 2006; 12 (06) 642-649