European Census on Pediatric Surgery
12 February 2017
13 February 2017
04 April 2017 (eFirst)
Background Detailed data on the distribution of pediatric surgical institutions in Europe are sparse. Therefore, the Section and Board of Pediatric Surgery of the Union of European Medical Specialists (UEMS) and the European Pediatric Surgeons' Association (EUPSA) jointly organized the first official census of the European centers of pediatric surgery (PS).
Materials and Methods After obtaining a list of pediatric surgical centers in Europe, a specialized questionnaire was created and made available on the Internet. General, workload, staff, and ancillary data were collected for the centers.
Results Total 215 out of 431 centers answered. PS center density is 1 in every 177,000 children or 1 in every 1,142,000 inhabitants. Approximately 77% of the centers (167 out of 215) are training centers in PS. Every center has an average inpatients procedures/year equal to 1,588, and 92.6 neonatal procedures/year. There are 3.9 surgeons/100,000 children, and 1,662 neonates for every surgeon. In average every EU surgeon performs 202 procedures/year, of which 11 procedures are on neonates. Trainees represent the 38% of the total workforce, and there are 2.3 trainees for every staff aged > 60 years.
Conclusion The paper aims to offer a more grounded basis on which the future of PS in our Continent should be planned. Presented data will provide an invaluable help to all our colleagues, as well as national policy makers, to press for and to make better informed and well-grounded sound political choices in the field of PS.
- 1 Deming WE. Quote: In God we trust; all others bring data. Available at: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/34849 . Accessed February 10, 2017
- 2 Lalchandani P, Dunn JC. Global comparison of pediatric surgery workforce and training. J Pediatr Surg 2015; 50 (07) 1180-1183
- 3 Deutsche Gesellschaft für Kinderchirurgie e.V. (DGKCH). Available at: http://www.dgkch.de/ . Accessed February 10, 2017
- 4 The world factbook. Available at: www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ . Accessed February 10, 2017
- 5 Pye JK. ; Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland. Survey of general paediatric surgery provision in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2008; 90 (03) 193-197
- 6 Emil S, Blair G, Langer JC. , et al. A survey-based assessment of the Canadian pediatric surgery workforce. J Pediatr Surg 2014; 49 (05) 678-681
- 7 Nakayama DK, Burd RS, Newman KD. Pediatric surgery workforce: supply and demand. J Pediatr Surg 2009; 44 (09) 1677-1682
- 8 Saing H. Training and delivery of pediatric surgery services in Asia. J Pediatr Surg 2000; 35 (11) 1606-1611
- 9 Krishnaswami S, Nwomeh BC, Ameh EA. The pediatric surgery workforce in low- and middle-income countries: problems and priorities. Semin Pediatr Surg 2016; 25 (01) 32-42
- 10 Driller C, Holschneider AM. Training in pediatric surgery—a comparison of 24 countries in Europe and other countries around the world. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2003; 13 (02) 73-80
- 11 Population Pyramids of the World from 1950 to 2100. Available at: https://populationpyramid.net/europe/ . Accessed February 10, 2017
- 12 Management Executive NHS. Contracting for Specialist Services. London, UK: Health Publications Unit; 1993
- 13 Arul GS, Spicer RD. Where should paediatric surgery be performed?. Arch Dis Child 1998; 79 (01) 65-70 , discussion 70–72
- 14 Yardley I, Rees C, Sutcliffe J, Lindley R. General paediatric surgery provision. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2009; 91 (01) 88-89 , author reply 89
- 15 British Association of Paediatric Surgeons. A Guide for Purchasers and Providers of Paediatric Surgical Services. Edinburgh, UK: The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh; 1995
- 16 Elhalaby EA, Uba FA, Borgstein ES, Rode H, Millar AJ. Training and practice of pediatric surgery in Africa: past, present, and future. Semin Pediatr Surg 2012; 21 (02) 103-110
- 17 Pruthi R, Sinha MD, Casula A. , et al. UK Renal Registry 14th Annual Report (December 2010): Chapter 5 Demography of the UK Paediatric Renal Replacement Therapy Population in 2010. Nephron Clin Prac 2012; 120 (Suppl. 01) c93-c103
- 18 The Scope of Paediatric Surgery. Available at: http://www.uemspaedsurg.org/section-board/the-scope-of-paediatric-surgery . Accessed February 10, 2017