Lymphatic Vessel Invasion and Lymph Node Metastasis in Patients with Clinical Stage I Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
18 February 2014
07 April 2014
06 June 2014 (eFirst)
Background The aim of this study was to investigate the association between the presence of lymphatic vessel invasion (LVI) in primary tumors and lymph node (LN) metastasis in clinical stage I non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients.
Materials and Methods A total of 76 patients who underwent complete resection for clinical stage I adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma were retrospectively examined.
Results Tumors consisted of 51 cases of adenocarcinoma and 25 cases of squamous cell carcinoma as determined by histology. LN metastasis was detected in 24.4% (19/76) of patients. Factors associated with LN metastasis on univariate analysis included LVI (p < 0.001) and increased tumor dimensions (p < 0.05). Binary logistic regression analysis showed that the presence of LVI (p < 0.001) was the only predictor of LN metastasis.
Conclusion LVI is significantly associated with LN metastasis in patients with clinical stage I NSCLC. These findings may be helpful in determining the most appropriate operative strategy for patients if preoperative detection of LVI becomes feasible.
- 1 Licht PB, Jørgensen OD, Ladegaard L, Jakobsen E. A national study of nodal upstaging after thoracoscopic versus open lobectomy for clinical stage I lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2013; 96 (3) 943-949 , discussion 949–950
- 2 Saharinen P, Tammela T, Karkkainen MJ, Alitalo K. Lymphatic vasculature: development, molecular regulation and role in tumor metastasis and inflammation. Trends Immunol 2004; 25 (7) 387-395
- 3 Wang J, Wang B, Zhao W , et al. Clinical significance and role of lymphatic vessel invasion as a major prognostic implication in non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 2012; 7 (12) e52704
- 4 Funai K, Sugimura H, Morita T, Shundo Y, Shimizu K, Shiiya N. Lymphatic vessel invasion is a significant prognostic indicator in stage IA lung adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol 2011; 18 (10) 2968-2972
- 5 Vallières E, Shepherd FA, Crowley J , et al; International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer International Staging Committee and Participating Institutions. The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: proposals regarding the relevance of TNM in the pathologic staging of small cell lung cancer in the forthcoming (seventh) edition of the TNM classification for lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2009; 4 (9) 1049-1059
- 6 Saijo T, Ishii G, Ochiai A , et al. Evaluation of extratumoral lymphatic permeation in non-small cell lung cancer as a means of predicting outcome. Lung Cancer 2007; 55 (1) 61-66
- 7 Fuwa N, Mitsudomi T, Daimon T , et al. Factors involved in lymph node metastasis in clinical stage I non-small cell lung cancer—from studies of 604 surgical cases. Lung Cancer 2007; 57 (3) 311-316
- 8 Hotta K, Segawa Y, Takigawa N , et al. Evaluation of the relationship between serum carcinoembryonic antigen level and treatment outcome in surgically resected clinical-stage I patients with non-small-cell lung cancer. Anticancer Res 2000; 20 (0B) 2177-2180
- 9 Koike T, Koike T, Yamato Y, Yoshiya K, Toyabe S. Predictive risk factors for mediastinal lymph node metastasis in clinical stage IA non-small-cell lung cancer patients. J Thorac Oncol 2012; 7 (8) 1246-1251
- 10 Li L, Ren S, Zhang Y , et al. Risk factors for predicting the occult nodal metastasis in T1-2N0M0 NSCLC patients staged by PET/CT: potential value in the clinic. Lung Cancer 2013; 81 (2) 213-217
- 11 Maeda R, Isowa N, Onuma H , et al. The maximum standardized 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose uptake on positron emission tomography predicts lymph node metastasis and invasiveness in clinical stage IA non-small cell lung cancer. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2009; 9 (1) 79-82
- 12 Matsuguma H, Oki I, Nakahara R , et al. Comparison of three measurements on computed tomography for the prediction of less invasiveness in patients with clinical stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2013; 95 (6) 1878-1884
- 13 Sakai M, Ishikawa S, Yamamoto T , et al. Preoperative TNM evaluation of peripheral clinical stage I small cell lung cancer treated by initial lobectomy with adjuvant chemotherapy. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2005; 4 (2) 118-122
- 14 Satoh Y, Hoshi R, Horai T , et al. Association of cytologic micropapillary clusters in cytology samples with lymphatic spread in clinical stage I lung adenocarcinomas. Lung Cancer 2009; 64 (3) 277-281
- 15 Takenaka T, Yano T, Morodomi Y , et al. Prediction of true-negative lymph node metastasis in clinical IA non-small cell lung cancer by measuring standardized uptake values on positron emission tomography. Surg Today 2012; 42 (10) 934-939
- 16 Takizawa T, Terashima M, Koike T, Akamatsu H, Kurita Y, Yokoyama A. Mediastinal lymph node metastasis in patients with clinical stage I peripheral non-small-cell lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1997; 113 (2) 248-252
- 17 Tsutani Y, Miyata Y, Nakayama H , et al. Prediction of pathologic node-negative clinical stage IA lung adenocarcinoma for optimal candidates undergoing sublobar resection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 144 (6) 1365-1371
- 18 Yoshino I, Ichinose Y, Nagashima A , et al; Kyushu Lung Cancer Surgery Cooperative Group. Clinical characterization of node-negative lung adenocarcinoma: results of a prospective investigation. J Thorac Oncol 2006; 1 (8) 825-831
- 19 Higgins KA, Chino JP, Ready N , et al. Lymphovascular invasion in non-small-cell lung cancer: implications for staging and adjuvant therapy. J Thorac Oncol 2012; 7 (7) 1141-1147