Subscribe to RSS
A New Surgical Stabilizing Instrument for Hypospadias Repair
10 February 2012
12 May 2012
27 August 2012 (online)
In the past 40 years, there have been a limited number of prototypes or improvisations developed to give retraction during hypospadias surgery.        These efforts have not been adequately accepted by the medical community either because they can be harmful to tissues or result impractical. Our novel surgical retractor is a proposal for hypospadias repair and we believe it could aid and facilitate hypospadias repair. The main characteristic of this retractor is the capability to maintain a steady position and give exposure of all sides of the penis with easy movements.
This new surgical instrument has demonstrated to us its adaptability, feasibility, and safety in all types of hypospadias repairs. We believe it will be of great assistance to all surgeons that deal with this malformation as it has been advantageous to us. Currently, it is mainly being used in hypospadias repair, but we think it might have other uses for other penile surgery.
- 1 Tsang TM, Stewart RJ. Denis Browne ring retractor in hypospadias surgery. Br J Urol 1995; 76 (4) 510
- 2 Hodgson NB. A one-stage hypospadias repair. J Urol 1970; 104 (2) 281-283
- 3 Russell P, Shibu M. A novel retractor for hypospadias repair. BJU Int 2002; 90 (7) 765
- 4 d'Assumpcao EA. Hypospadias retractor. Br J PlastSurg 1971; 24 (4) 417-418
- 5 Aubert J, Dore B. [Use of a lead plate in the surgical repair of hypospadias]. J Urol(Paris) 1980; 86 (6) 483-484
- 6 Livne PM, Gibbons MD, Gonzales Jr ET. Use of Scott surgical retractor in pediatric urology. Urology 1984; 24 (3) 281-282
- 7 Woodworth B, King LR. Hypospadias retractor. Urology 1990; 35 (1) 63
- 8 Hegazi MM. Multi-directional dynamic retractor for hypospadias repair. PlastReconstrSurg 2001; 108 (3) 804-805