Subscribe to RSS
© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
The Effects of Cannabis on Heart Rate Variability and Well-Being in Young Men
26 February 2010 (online)
Introduction: The effects of cannabis use on the autonomic regulation of the heart had been identified in tests with volunteers. We studied these effects of cannabis use on young adults in everyday life.
Methods: We measured heart rate variability (HRV) and well-being (WHO-5 score) in young men during a routine medical examination. Seventy-two men were identified with a positive drug screening test solely for tetrahydrocannabinol. The comparison group consisted of 72 men, matched according to age and body mass index, who used no illicit drugs or pharmaceuticals.
Results: In the cannabis group, HRV was significantly increased compared to the control group. The median value of root mean square of successive differences (RMSSD) at rest was 56.2 ms in the drug users and 48.6 ms in the controls (p<0.05). The ratio of low-to-high frequency was higher in the controls (median 1.87 vs. 1.62; p<0.05). Psychological well-being, measured by WHO-5 score was significantly lower in cannabis users.
Discussion: Our data support the hypothesis that the use of cannabis leads to a change in cardiovascular sympathovagal balance.
- 1 Benowitz NL, Jones RT. Cardiovascular and metabolic considerations in prolonged cannabinoid administration in man. J Clin Pharmacol. 1981; 21 S214-S223
- 2 Gruber AJ, Pope HG, Hudson JL. et al . Attributes of long-term heavy cannabis users: a case-control study. Psychol Med. 2003; 33 1415-1422
- 3 Hunault CC, Mesinga TT, de Vries I. et al . Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) serum concentrations and pharmacological effects in males after smoking a combination of tobacco and cannabis containing up to 69 mg THC. Psychopharmacology. 2008; 201 171-181
- 4 Kristal-Boneh E, Raifel M, Froom P. et al . Heart rate variability in health and disease. Scand J Work Environ Health. 1995; 21 85-95
- 5 Kunos G, Járai Z, Bátkai S. et al . Endocannabinoids as cardiovascular modulators. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. 2000; 108 159-168
- 6 Müller-Vahl KR, Schneider U, Koblenz A. et al . Treatment of Tourette's syndrome with delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC): a randomized crossover trial. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2002; 35 57-61
- 7 Newlin DB, Pretorius MB, Wong CJ. et al .Acute marijuana smoking reduces vagal tone.. NIDA Research Monograph, Vol. 105. Committee on Problems of Drug Dependence, Washington, DC, US Gov Printing Office; 1991: 565-566
- 8 Pacher P, Mukhopadhyay P, Mohanraj R. et al . Modulation of the endocannabinoid system in cardiovascular disease. Therapeutic potential and limitations. Hypertension. 2008; 52 601-607
- 9 Psychiatric Research Unit. . WHO Collaborating Centre in Mental Health: WHO-Five Well-being Index (WHO-5) (Version 1998) http://www.who-5.org/ Accessed October 9, 2008
- 10 Radespiel-Tröger M, Rauh R, Mahlke C. et al . Agreement of two different methods for measurement of heart rate variability. Clin Auton Res. 2003; 13 99-102
- 11 Rechlin T, Weis M, Claus D. Heart rate variability in depressed patients and differential effects of paroxetine and amitriptyline on cardiovascular autonomic functions. Pharmacopsychiatry. 1994; 27 124-128
- 12 Siepmann M, Handel J, Mueck-Weymann M. et al . The effects of moclobemide on autonomic and cognitive functions in healthy volunteers. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2004; 37 81-84
- 13 Siepmann M, Rauh R, Spanos E. et al . The effects of acetylic acid on heart rate variability in healthy subjects. Clin Auton Res. 2007; 17 115-117
- 14 Silke B, Campbell C, King DJ. The potential cardiotoxicity of antipsychotic drugs as assessed by heart rate variability. J Psychopharmacol. 2002; 16 355-360
- 15 Wadsworth EJK, Moss SC, Simpson SA. et al . Cannabis use, cognitive performance and mood in a sample of workers. J Psychopharmacol. 2006; 20 14-23
- 16 Wiklund U, Karlsson M, Öström M. et al . Influence of energy drinks and alcohol on post-exercise heart rate recovery and heart rate variability. Clin Phyiol Funct Imaging. 2009; 29 74-80
- 17 Zuurman L, van Gerven JMA, Asgarali F. et al . Effect of acute THC administration on heart rate variability in humans. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2005; 61 485-486
PD Dr. K. Schmid
Institute and Outpatient Clinic for Occupational,
Social and Environmental Medicine
Phone: +49/9131/852 6777
Fax: +49/9131/852 6819