Successful Treatment of Macular Hole-Evoked Retinal Detachment with Inverted ILM Flap following Complicated Cataract SurgeryErfolgreiche Behandlung einer durch ein Makulaloch hervorgerufenen Netzhautablösung mittels ILM-Flap nach komplizierter Kataraktchirurgie
Macular hole retinal detachment (MHRD) is a specific condition related to myopia, especially when posterior staphyloma is present, and is thought to be caused by tangential tractional force between the vitreous and the retina , , . This rare event has also been described in highly myopic eyes following phacoemulsification and IOL (intraocular lens) implantation, further suggesting the role of the vitreoretinal interface in the pathogenesis of this complication . Vitrectomy with internal limiting membrane (ILM) peeling has been shown to be an effective procedure to relieve macular traction over the detached retina, allowing successful treatment of RD induced by MH in highly myopic eyes . Furthermore, there is evidence to suggest that the creation of an additional, inverted ILM flap during vitrectomy may lead to higher rates of anatomical closure and visual acuity (VA) improvement when compared to ILM removal alone , .
Using the inverted ILM surgical technique, we report a rare case of retinal reattachment and surgical MH closure with central macular function recovery in MHRD following complicated cataract surgery in a non-myopic and non-trauma eye.
Received: 27 September 2020
Accepted: 01 December 2020
15 January 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Ikuno Y. Overview of the complications of high myopia. Retina 2017; 37: 2347-2351
- 2 Nakanishi H, Kuriyama S, Saito I. et al. Prognostic factor analysis in pars plana vitrectomy for retinal detachment attributable to macular hole in high myopia: a multicenter study. Am J Ophthalmol 2008; 146: 198-204
- 3 Morita H, Ideta H, Ito K. et al. Causative factors of retinal detachment in macular holes. Retina 1991; 11: 281-284
- 4 Zheng Q, Yang S, Zhang Y. et al. Vitreous surgery for macular hole-related retinal detachment after phacoemulsification cataract extraction: 10-year retrospective review. Eye (Lond) 2012; 26: 1058-1064
- 5 Uemoto R, Yamamoto S, Tsukahara I. et al. Efficacy of internal limiting membrane removal for retinal detachments resulting from a myopic macular hole. Retina 2004; 24: 560-566
- 6 Xu Q, Luan J. Vitrectomy with inverted internal limiting membrane flap versus internal limiting membrane peeling for macular hole retinal detachment in high myopia: a systematic review of literature and meta-analysis. Eye 2019; 33: 1626-1634 doi:10.1038/s41433-019-0458-3
- 7 Matsumura T, Takamura Y, Tomomatsu T. et al. Comparison of the inverted internal limiting membrane flap technique and the internal limiting membrane peeling for macular hole with retinal detachment. PLoS One 2016; 11: e0165068
- 8 Hussain RN, Steel DHW, Sandinha T. et al. Cutting the Internal Limiting Membrane with Zero Aspiration Technique: A Clinical Audit. Retina 2019; 39: S133
- 9 Siam A. Macular hole with central retinal detachment in high myopia with posterior staphyloma. Br J Ophthalmol 1969; 53: 62-63
- 10 Neuhann IM, Neuhann TF, Heimann H. et al. Retinal detachment after phacoemulsification in high myopia: analysis of 2356 cases. J Cataract Refract Surg 2008; 34: 1644-1657
- 11 OʼDriscoll AM, Goble RR, Kirkby GR. Vitrectomy for retinal detachments with both peripheral retinal breaks and macular holes. An assessment of outcome and the status of the macular hole. Retina 2001; 21: 221-225
- 12 Najafi M, Brown JS, Rosenberg KI. Increased Reoperation Rate in Surgical Treatment of Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment with Coexistent Macular Hole. Ophthalmol Retina 2018; 2: 187-191
- 13 Michalewska Z, Michalewski J, Adelman RA. et al. Inverted internal limiting membrane flap technique for large macular holes. Ophthalmology 2010; 117: 2018-2025