© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
Mediastinal Ectopic Parathyroid Adenoma: Report of Two Cases Successfully Treated by VATS Approach
Received June 11, 2006
17 January 2008 (online)
The first documented resection of a mediastinal parathyroid adenoma was performed at the Massachusetts General Hospital in 1932, when a sea captain, Charles Martell, underwent his seventh operation for persistent hyperparathyroidism []. Ectopic mediastinal parathyroid adenomas are found in up to 25 % of patients with primary hyperparathyroidism (pHPT) []. However, only 2 % of ectopic parathyroid adenomas are not accessible using a standard cervical excision due to their location. Until recently, these lesions were treated with means of a transsternal or transthoracic approach using either sternotomy or thoracotomy. Because these operations have a high rate of morbidity [], some authors advocate the use of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) or video-assisted mediastinoscopic surgery (VAMS) as more gentle, minimally invasive procedures. We report two cases with ectopic mediastinal parathyroid adenomas that were successfully treated by VATS.
- 1 Richards M L, Bondeson A G, Thompson N W.
Mediastinal parathyroid adenomas and carcinomas.Shields TW, LoCicero J, Ponn RB General Thoracic Surgery. 5th ed. Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins 2383-2390
- 2 Cupisti K, Dotzenrath C, Simon D, Roher H, Goretzki P E. Therapy of suspected intrathoracic parathyroid adenomas. Experiences using open transthoracic approach and video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery. Langenbeck's Arch Surg. 2002; 386 488-493
- 3 Amar L, Guignat L, Tissier F. et al . Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery as a first-line treatment for mediastinal parathyroid adenomas: strategic value of imaging. Eur J Endocrinol. 2004; 150 141-147
- 4 Liu R C, Hill M E, Ryan J A. One-gland exploration for mediastinal parathyroid adenomas: cervical and thoracoscopic approaches. Am J Surg. 2005; 189 601-605
- 5 Hallfeldt K KJ, Trupka A, Gallwas J, Schmidbauer S. Minimally invasive video-assisted parathyroidectomy and intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring. The first 36 cases and some pitfalls. Surg Endosc. 2002; 16 1759-1763
- 6 Medrano C, Hazelrigg S R, Landreneau R J, Boley T M, Shwago R N, Grasch A. Thoracoscopic resection of ectopic parathyroid glands. Ann Thorac Surg. 2000; 69 221-223
- 7 Prinz R A, Lonchyna V, Carnaille B, Wurtz A, Proye C. Thoracoscopic excision of enlarged mediastinal parathyroid glands. Surgery. 1994; 116 999-1005
- 8 Ott M C, Malthaner R A, Reid R. Intraoperative radioguided thoracoscopic removal of ectopic parathyroid adenoma. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001; 72 1758-1760
Dr. Hasan Akin
Yedikule Teaching Hospital for Chest Diseases and Chest Surgery