Subscribe to RSS
Endoscopic Band Ligation for Control of Acute Peptic Ulcer Bleeding
Submitted 17 February 2003
Accepted after Revision 9 July 2003
14 January 2004 (online)
Background and Study Aims: The use of endoscopic band ligation (EBL) is being extended to treat various causes of upper and lower gastrointestinal bleeding. The aim of this study was to evaluate the usefulness of EBL for control of acute peptic ulcer bleeding and to define the lesions that are most suitable for this technique.
Patients and Methods: 19 patients with major stigmata of acute peptic ulcer bleeding were treated using EBL; 11 patients had active bleeding and eight patients had a nonbleeding visible vessel.
Results: The site of acute peptic ulcer bleeding was the stomach in 12 patients, the duodenum in four patients, and Billroth II anastomosis in three. Initial hemostasis was achieved in 19 patients (100 %) in a single session. There were no rebleeding episodes in any of the patients, and there was no bleeding-related or procedure-related death. During long-term outpatient follow-up, bleeding did not recur.
Conclusions: EBL is an effective and safe endoscopic treatment for small-sized nonfibrotic acute peptic ulcer bleeding. Larger studies in patients with acute peptic ulcer bleeding are needed to confirm these promising results.
- 1 Laine L, Peterson W L. Bleeding peptic ulcer. New Engl J Med. 1994; 331 717-727
- 2 Chung I K, Han J S, Kim H S. et al . Comparison of the hemostatic efficacy of the endoscopic hemoclip method with hypertonic saline-epinephrine injection and a combination of the two for the management of bleeding peptic ulcers. Gastrointest Endosc. 1999; 49 13-18
- 3 Nagamaya K, Tazawa J, Sakai Y. et al . Efficacy of endoscopic clipping for bleeding gastroduodenal ulcer: Comparison with topical ethanol injection. Am J Gastroenterol. 1999; 94 2897-2901
- 4 Cipolletta L, Bianco M A, Marmo R. et al . Endoclips versus heater probe in preventing early recurrent bleeding from peptic ulcer: a prospective and randomized trial. Gastrointest Endosc. 2001; 53 147-151
- 5 Binmoeller K F, Thonke F, Soehendra N. Endoscopic hemoclip treatment for gastrointestinal bleeding. Endoscopy. 1993; 25 167-170
- 6 Stiegmann G V, Sun J H, Hammond W S. Results of experimental endoscopic esophageal varix ligation. Am Surg. 1988; 54 105-108
- 7 Stiegmann G V, Goff J S, Michaletz-Onody P A. et al . Endoscopic sclerotherapy as compared with endoscopic ligation for bleeding esophageal varices. N Engl J Med. 1992; 326 1527-1532
- 8 Nikolaidis N, Zezos P, Giouleme O. et al . Endoscopic band ligation of Dieulafoy-like lesions in the upper gastrointestinal tract. Endoscopy. 2001; 33 754-760
- 9 Matsui S, Kamisako T, Kudo M. et al . Endoscopic band ligation for control of nonvariceal upper GI hemorrhage: comparison with bipolar electrocoagulation. Gastrointest Endosc. 2002; 55 214-218
- 10 Tseng C, Burke S, Connors P. et al . Endoscopic band ligation for treatment of non-variceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Endoscopy. 1991; 23 297-298
- 11 Brown G R, Harford W V, Jones W F. Endoscopic band ligation of an actively bleeding Dieulafoy lesion. Gastrointest Endosc. 1994; 40 501-503
- 12 Campo R, Brullet E. Endoscopic treatment of gastric angiodysplasia with elastic band ligation. Gastrointest Endosc. 1996; 43 502-504
- 13 Baniukiewicz A, Laszewicz W. An endoscopic treatment for gastric angiodysplasia, using an endoscopic ligation device designed to treat esophageal varices [letter]. Endoscopy. 1996; 28 787
- 14 Abi-Hanna D, Williams S J, Gillespie P E. et al . Endoscopic band ligation for non-variceal non-ulcer gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Gastrointest Endosc. 1998; 48 510-514
- 15 McGrath K, Mergener K, Branch S. Endoscopic band ligation of Dieulafoy’s lesion: report of two cases and review of the literature. Am J Gastroenterol. 1999; 94 1087-1090
- 16 Banerjee B, Trivedi M H, Swied A M. Endoscopic band ligation for gastric ulcer bleeding. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2000; 10 246-248
- 17 Wong R, Ota S, Katoh A. Endoscopic ligation for non-esophageal variceal upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Endoscopy. 1998; 30 774-777
- 18 Lin H-J, Hseieh Y-H, Tseng G-T. et al . A prospective, randomized trial of endoscopic hemoclip versus heater probe thermocoagulation for peptic ulcer bleeding. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002; 97 2250-2254
- 19 Norton I D, Petersen B T, Sorbi D. et al . Management and long-term prognosis of Dieulafoy lesion. Gastointest Endosc. 1999; 50 762-767
- 20 Takeuchi M, Nakai Y, Nakamura K. et al . Complication associated with endoscopic variceal ligation: gastric perforation. Gastroenterol Endosc. 1996; 38 876-878
J. S. Rew, M. D., Ph. D.
Division of Gastroenterology · Department of Internal Medicine · Chonnam National University Medical School
8 Hak-dong · Dong-ku, Gwangju 501-757 · South Korea
Fax: + 82-62-2281330 ·