Subscribe to RSS
Myxedema Heart Disease in a Teenage Child
Myxedema heart disease is an exceptionally rare condition with few reported cases. We present a rare case of a child who presented with severe congestive heart failure secondary to myxedema heart disease complicated by preexisting valvular heart disease. The patient was admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit and medical management. An echocardiogram showed severe biventricular dysfunction and severe valvular disease. She was started on levothyroxine and liothyronine. During the patient's hospitalization, the thyroxine level normalized but the thyroid-stimulating hormone continued to remain elevated. Likewise, her cardiac ventricular function improved, though it did not return to baseline. Our case highlights the importance of maintaining a broad differential diagnosis in a child who presents with congestive heart failure, to include thyroid disease, which necessitates a rare but specific management strategy.
The view(s) expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not reflect the official policy or position of Brooke Army Medical Center, the U.S. Army Medical Department, the U.S. Army Office of the Surgeon General, the Department of the Army, the Department of the Air Force, and Department of Defense or the U.S. Government. No funding was received for this research.
Contributors' Statement Page
Dr. Bennett and Dr. Bridwell contributed to conception and design and drafted the initial manuscript, and reviewed and revised the manuscript.
Dr. Percival, Dr. Appachi, Dr. Gupta-Malhorta, and Dr. Salameh contributed to conception and design, acquisition of data, analysis and interpretation of data and critically reviewed the manuscript for important intellectual content.
All authors approved the final manuscript as submitted and agree to be accountable for all aspects of the work.
Work performed at : The Children's Hospital of San Antonio, 333 N Santa Rosa St, San Antonio, TX 78207.
Received: 26 February 2023
Accepted: 20 March 2023
Article published online:
28 April 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Seol SH, Kim DI, Park BM. et al. Complete atrioventricular block presenting with syncope caused by severe hypothyroidism. Cardiol Res 2012; 3 (05) 239-241
- 2 Chaudhry MA, Grazette L, Fong MW. Myxedema heart disease: a rare disease entity: case report and brief review of the literature. Curr Hypertens Rev 2019; 15 (01) 13-16
- 3 Brent GA, Davies TF. Hypothyroidism and thyroiditis. In: Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Elsevier; 2011. :406–433
- 4 Majid-Moosa A, Schussler JMMA, Mora A. Myxedema coma with cardiac tamponade and severe cardiomyopathy. Proc Bayl Univ Med Cent 2015; 28 (04) 509-511
- 5 Zhang Y, Post WS, Cheng A, Blasco-Colmenares E, Tomaselli GFGE, Guallar E. Thyroid hormones and electrocardiographic parameters: findings from the third national health and nutrition examination survey. PLoS One 2013; 8 (04) e59489
- 6 Thomas J, Mills KB, Grisham DW. Primary myxedema heart disease. J Natl Med Assoc 1978; 70 (11) 833-836
- 7 Mehta S. Cardiac tamponade: a rare presentation of childhood hypothyroidism. Iran J Pediatr 2015; 25 (02) e249
- 8 Smallridge RC. Metabolic and anatomic thyroid emergencies: a review. Crit Care Med 1992; 20 (02) 276-291
- 9 Ringel MD. Management of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Clin 2001; 17 (01) 59-74
- 10 Ladenson PW, Sherman SI, Baughman KL, Ray PE, Feldman AM. Reversible alterations in myocardial gene expression in a young man with dilated cardiomyopathy and hypothyroidism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1992; 89 (12) 5251-5255
- 11 Kay JD, Colan SD, Graham TP. Congestive heart failure in pediatric patients. Am Heart J 2001; 142 (05) 923-928
- 12 Madriago E, Silberbach M. Heart failure in infants and children. Pediatr Rev 2010; 31 (01) 4-12
- 13 Shaddy RE, George AT, Jaecklin T. et al. Systematic literature review on the incidence and prevalence of heart failure in children and adolescents. Pediatr Cardiol 2018; 39 (03) 415-436
- 14 Price JF. Congestive heart failure in children. Pediatr Rev 2019; 40 (02) 60-70
- 15 Ueda K, Kiyota A, Tsuchida M, Okazaki M, Ozaki N. Successful treatment of myxedema coma with a combination of levothyroxine and liothyronine. Endocr J 2019; 66 (05) 469-474
- 16 Jayaprasad N. Heart failure in children. Heart Views 2016; 17 (03) 92-99
- 17 Hamilton JD, Greenwood WF. Myxedema heart disease. Circulation 1957; 15 (03) 442-447
- 18 Razvi S, Jabbar A, Pingitore A. et al. Thyroid hormones and cardiovascular function and diseases. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018; 71 (16) 1781-1796
- 19 Jonklaas J, Bianco AC, Bauer AJ. et al; American Thyroid Association Task Force on Thyroid Hormone Replacement. Guidelines for the treatment of hypothyroidism: prepared by the American Thyroid Association Task Force on thyroid hormone replacement. Thyroid 2014; 24 (12) 1670-1751
- 20 Mathew V, Misgar RA, Ghosh S. et al. Myxedema coma: a new look into an old crisis. J Thyroid Res 2011; 2011: 493462
- 21 Yamamoto T, Fukuyama J, Fujiyoshi A. Factors associated with mortality of myxedema coma: report of eight cases and literature survey. Thyroid 1999; 9 (12) 1167-1174
- 22 Bhupathi R, Kothari SS, Gupta AKMP, Menon PS. Cardiac function in hypothyroid children: effect of replacement therapy. Indian Pediatr 1999; 36 (08) 779-784