Subscribe to RSS
Minimal-Invasive Mitral Valve Repair after Breast AugmentationFunding The authors received no financial support for the publication of this report.
Minimal-invasive mitral valve surgery after breast augmentation is an ongoing interdisciplinary challenge. Notably, the perioperative explantation of the breast implant, as reported in most cases, is of questionable benefit. We herein report on successful minimal-invasive mitral valve repair after subpectoral breast augmentation with perioperative preservation of the breast implant in situ.
T.S. wrote the manuscript. L.K. and E.A.K. reviewed the manuscript. F.E. performed the surgical procedure and reviewed the manuscript. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Written informed consent for publication was obtained from the patient.
Received: 20 April 2022
Accepted: 28 January 2023
Article published online:
26 April 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Beckmann A, Meyer R, Lewandowski J, Markewitz A, Gummert J. German Heart Surgery Report 2020: the annual updated registry of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2021; 69 (04) 294-307
- 2 Cao C, Gupta S, Chandrakumar D. et al. A meta-analysis of minimally invasive versus conventional mitral valve repair for patients with degenerative mitral disease. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 2 (06) 693-703
- 3 Moscarelli M, Fattouch K, Casula R, Speziale G, Lancellotti P, Athanasiou T. What is the role of minimally invasive mitral valve surgery in high-risk patients? A meta-analysis of observational studies. Ann Thorac Surg 2016; 101 (03) 981-989
- 4 Al Otaibi A, Gupta S, Belley-Cote EP. et al. Mini-thoracotomy vs. conventional sternotomy mitral valve surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2017; 58 (03) 489-496
- 5 International Society of aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Aesthetic/Cosmetic Procedures Global Survey. 2020:1–60
- 6 Dagenais F. Minimally invasive mitral valve surgery: evolution, techniques and outcomes. Future Cardiol 2008; 4 (06) 609-616
- 7 Cremer JT, Böning A, Anssar MB. et al. Different approaches for minimally invasive closure of atrial septal defects. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67 (06) 1648-1652
- 8 Shafii AE, Su JW, Hendrickson M, Mihaljevic T, Gillinov AM. Right inframammary mini-thoracotomy approach to the mitral valve in women with breast implants. Innovations (Phila) 2009; 4 (05) 278-281
- 9 Baker RY, Nguyen TJ, Hernandez AM, Wong AK, Baker CJ, Starnes VA. Breast implants and minimally invasive cardiac surgery: a case series. Ann Plast Surg 2012; 69 (01) 10-13
- 10 Cetinkaya A, Borsche A, Hein S, Bramlage P, Schoenburg M, Richter M. Explantation and reimplantation of a breast implant to facilitate minimally invasive mitral valve surgery and cryoablation of atrial fibrillation. Clin Case Rep 2019; 7 (06) 1181-1184
- 11 Pervaiz H, Rehman A, Khalid S, Cheema FH. Management for breast implants in patients undergoing mitral valve surgery through a right minithoracotomy. J Card Surg 2014; 29 (03) 323-324
- 12 Marin Cuartas M, Javadikasgari H, Pfannmueller B. et al. Mitral valve repair: robotic and other minimally invasive approaches. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 2017; 60 (03) 394-404
- 13 Fong TC, Hoffmann B. Images in clinical medicine. Disappearance of a breast prosthesis during Pilates. N Engl J Med 2011; 365 (24) 2305-2305
- 14 Songcharoen SJ, McClure M, Aru RG, Songcharoen S. Intrathoracic migration of a breast implant after minimally invasive cardiac surgery. Ann Plast Surg 2015; 74 (03) 274-276
- 15 Je HG, Kang PJ, Lee SK. Minimally invasive cardiac surgical procedure in a patient with breast implants by use of a fibrous capsule preservation method. Ann Thorac Surg 2014; 97 (05) e143-e144
- 16 Wu Z, Pan J, Wang Q, Zhou Q, Wang D. Surgical repair of mitral valve prolapse through a minimal right vertical infraaxillary thoracotomy. J Card Surg 2012; 27 (05) 533-537