Subscribe to RSS
Effect of Chitosan and Acrylic Acid Addition to Acrylic Resin on Porosity and Streptococcus mutans Growth in Denture BaseFunding This work was supported by, Faculty of Dentistry, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia.
Objective This work aimed to determine the effect of adding chitosan and acrylic acid to acrylic resin denture base on the porosity of the material and the growth of Streptococcus mutans.
Materials and Methods This study is an experimental laboratory research. Samples were divided into the following three groups (n=10): group 1 was the control group, group 2 was the acrylic resin mixture with 1% chitosan and acrylate acid, and group 3 was the acrylic resin mixture with 2% chitosan and acrylate acid. S. mutans growth was tested using the dilution method, and porosity was examined using an optical microscope. Data were calculated by one-way analysis of variance (p<0.05) and correlation analysis.
Results The acrylic resin added with 2% chitosan and acrylic acid showed pores with an almost spherical shape and the smallest size. Significant difference (p<0.05) was observed among all the groups. A positive and extremely strong correlation was found between porosity and S. mutans growth.
Conclusion Chitosan and acrylic acid at 1 and 2% concentrations can be added to acrylic resin to minimize the porosity of the denture base and reduce the growth of S. mutans. A less porous denture is associated with a low S. mutans growth rate.
Article published online:
08 September 2022
© 2022. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Ari MDA, Rahmania PN, Kusumaningsih T. et al. Denture stomatitis in diabetic senile patient: pathophysiology and management review. Biochem Cell Arch 2021; 21 (02) 3223-3228
- 2 Singh S, Palaskar JN, Mittal S. Comparative evaluation of surface porosities in conventional heat polymerized acrylic resin cured by water bath and microwave energy with microwavable acrylic resin cured by microwave energy. Contemp Clin Dent 2013; 4 (02) 147-151
- 3 Rachmadi P, Firdaus WAK, Sukmana BI. et al. The effect of immersion of 12.5% basil leaves and 25% mauli banana stem mixture extracts on surface hardness, surface roughness and discoloration of acrylic resin. Syst. Rev. Pharm. 2020; 11 (05) 281-287
- 4 Onwubu SC, Mdluli PS. Comparative analysis of abrasive materials and polishing system on the surface roughness of heat-polymerized acrylic resins. Eur J Dent 2021; DOI: 10.1055/s-0041-1736293.
- 5 Makihira S, Nikawa H, Nishimura M. et al. Impact of components of denture acrylic resin on gingival cell growth and sensitivity to Candida albicans adhesion. Mycoses 2002; 45 (08) 300-305
- 6 Elgamily H, Mosallam O, El-Sayed H, Mosallam R. Antibacterial effectiveness of probiotic-based experimental mouthwash against cariogenic pathogen: an in vitro study. Eur J Dent 2018; 12 (01) 7-14
- 7 Kriswandini IL. , i D, Tantiana, et al. The forming of bacteria biofilm from Streptococcus mutans and Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans as a marker for early detection in dental caries and periodontitis. Infect Dis Rep 2020; 12 (Suppl. 01) 8722
- 8 Bachtiar BM, Fath T, Widowati R, Bachtiar EW. Quantification and pathogenicity of candida albicans in denture-wearing and nondenture-wearing elderly. Eur J Dent 2020; 14 (03) 423-428
- 9 Kozmos M, Virant P, Rojko F. et al. Bacterial adhesion of S. mutans to dental material surfaces. Molecules 2021; 26 (04) 1152
- 10 Indrawati R, Luthfi M, Andari EFY. The differences of effectiveness of β-1,3-glukanase Vigna unguiculata and papain Carica papaya enzymes in hydrolysis of denture plaque. Dent (Majalah Kedokt. Gigi) 2016; 49 (02) 81-86
- 11 Ismiyati T, Alhasyimi AA, Siswomihardjo W. , Supriatno. The effect of chitosan and acrylate acid complex into acrylic resin as denture material against fibroblast and inflammatory cells. J Int Dent Med Res 2021; 14 (04) 1459-1464
- 12 Rezkita F, Wibawa KGP, Nugraha AP. Curcumin loaded chitosan nanoparticle for accelerating the post extraction wound healing in diabetes mellitus patient: a review. Res J Pharm Technol. 2020; 13 (02) 1039-1042
- 13 Torres-Rosas R, Torres-Gómez N, Moreno-Rodríguez A, García-Contreras R, Argueta-Figueroa L. Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial activity of the chitosan/chlorhexidine gel commercial preparation for postexodontia treatment: an in vitro study. Eur J Dent 2020; 14 (03) 397-403
- 14 Rajabnia R, Ghasempour M, Gharekhani S, Gholamhoseinnia S, Soroorhomayoon S. Anti-Streptococcus mutans property of a chitosan: containing resin sealant. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2016; 6 (01) 49-53
- 15 Ahmadi F, Oveisi Z, Samani SM, Amoozgar Z. Chitosan based hydrogels: characteristics and pharmaceutical applications. Res Pharm Sci 2015; 10 (01) 1-16
- 16 Jiménez-Gómez CP, Cecilia JA. Chitosan: a natural biopolymer with a wide and varied range of applications. Molecules 2020; 25 (17) 3981
- 17 Ismiyati T, Siswomihardjo W, Soesatyo MHNE, Rochmadi R. Campuran kitosan dengan resin akrilik sebagai bahan gigi tiruan penghambat Candida albicans . Majalah Kedokteran Gigi Indonesia. 2017; 3 (03) 139-145
- 18 Elia P, Nativ-Roth E, Zeiri Y, Porat Z. Determination of the average pore-size and total porosity in porous silicon layers by image processing of SEM micrographs. Microporous Mesoporous Mater 2016; 225: 465-471
- 19 Heng PWS, Wong TW, Chan LW. Influence of production variables on the sphericity of melt pellets. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2000; 48 (03) 420-424
- 20 Al-Thobity AM. The impact of polymerization technique and glass-fiber reinforcement on the flexural properties of denture base resin material. Eur J Dent 2020; 14 (01) 92-99
- 21 Wicaksono S, Rezkita F, Wijaya FN, Nugraha AP, Winias S. Ellagic acid: an alternative for antifungal drugs resistance in HIV/AIDS patients with oropharyngeal candidiasis. HIV AIDS Rev 2020; 19 (03) 153-156
- 22 Ismiyati T, Alhasyimi AA. The effect of chitosan addition in acrylic resin matrix toward the residual monomers and impact strength. Res J Pharm Technol 2021; 14 (04) 2280-2285
- 23 Pero AC, Marra J, Paleari AG, Pereira WR, Barbosa DB, Compagnoni MA. Measurement of interfacial porosity at the acrylic resin/denture tooth interface. J Prosthodont 2010; 19 (01) 42-46
- 24 Taherishargh M, Belova IV, Murch GE, Fiedler T. The effect of particle shape on mechanical properties of perlite/metal syntactic foam. J Alloys Compd 2017; 693: 55-60
- 25 Yilmaz AH. Antibacterial activity of chitosan-based systems. Funct Chitosan 2020; 457-489
- 26 Nagy A, Harrison A, Sabbani S, Munson Jr RS, Dutta Jr PK, Waldman WJ. Silver nanoparticles embedded in zeolite membranes: release of silver ions and mechanism of antibacterial action. Int J Nanomedicine 2011; 6: 1833-1852 , 21931480
- 27 Divya K, Vijayan S, George TK, Jisha MS. Antimicrobial properties of chitosan nanoparticles: mode of action and factors affecting activity. Fibers Polym 2017; 18 (02) 221-230
- 28 Heryumani Sulandjari JCP, Chairunnisa AZ, Alhasyimi AA. Effect of dentifrice containing crab-shell chitosan on the accumulation of dental plaque in fixed orthodontic appliances patients: a randomized controlled trial. Contemp Clin Dent 2019; 10 (03) 452-456
- 29 Salim S, Sitalaksmi RM, Faila Shofa A, Hendrijantini N. The effect of chitosan from squid pens toward Streptococcus mutans . Int. J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 12 (04) 1585-1589