Homeopathy Meets the Challenge
Compared with 2019, last year saw a remarkable 50% increase in the number of submissions to the journal. More than half of that increased volume was COVID-related. Allied to a relatively low rejection rate overall, it's fair to say that Homeopathy's small team was stretched to its limit for a few months! Inevitably, there was a brief period when accepted papers' page-proofs took a longer time than usual in the preparation, but our production team in Delhi have brought the schedule back to normal again. Thank you to them all, and to those affected authors whose kind patience during the delay helped to relieve some editorial pressure at the time.
Readers might have noted that the journal has reached its 110th volume this year. As Dr Gary Smyth, current Faculty President, reflected in his Guest Editorial in 2019, the journal was launched in 1911 as the British Homoeopathic Journal. Publication has continued uninterrupted through these 110 years. The current issue of Homeopathy offers another eclectic mix of high-quality articles, from experimental research models – both mammalian  and botanical  – to clinical papers of various study designs,    some of which focus on COVID-19. Meanwhile, at the time of writing, our Virtual Special Issue Homeopathy and COVID-19  contains 13 articles, with more accepted manuscripts in the pipeline.
How remarkably prophetic were Dr Peter Fisher's words, included in his editorial for the journal's 100th volume in 2011, about the outlook for the next century that, ‘Perhaps catastrophes, perhaps of an ecological nature, will ambush us in the near future’. The world is indeed suffering such a catastrophe, and it is to homeopathy's credit that its researchers and practitioners have sustained, if not enhanced, their original research output during these extraordinarily challenging times. As Dr Fisher's successor in the Editor's chair, I strive to ensure that Homeopathy is continuing to publish the highest possible standard of scientific and academic content. We complete this issue of the journal with a thought-provoking Debate article, which has its basis in history, advocating the need for a multidisciplinary approach to enhance the appreciation of homeopathy through its rich past.
* Editor, Homeopathy
29 April 2021 (online)
© 2021. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Smyth GJ. The Faculty of Homeopathy: celebrating 175 years of excellence in homeopathic practice. Homeopathy 2019; 108: 223-229
- 2 Dos Santos AP, Cardoso TN, Waisse S, Bonamin LV. Homeopathy in experimental cancer models: a systematic review. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 76-85
- 3 Oh YS, Chae SC, Kim H, Yang HJ, Lee KJ, Yeo MG. Homeopathic Rhus toxicodendron induces cell adhesions in the mouse pre-osteoblast cell line MC3T3-e1. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 108-114
- 4 Ferreira TM, Mangeiro MZ, Almeida AM, Souza RM. Effect of homeopathic preparations on lettuce, parasitized or not by Meloidogyne enterolobii . Homeopathy 2021; 110: 115-121
- 5 Jäger T, Würtenberger S, Baumgartner S. Effects of homeopathic preparations of Mercurius corrosivus on the growth rate of moderately mercury-stressed duckweed Lemna gibba L. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 122-131
- 6 Champs NS, Lopes JG, Sousa PC. et al. Impact of homeopathic treatment on the quality of life of women with chronic diseases: a randomized controlled pragmatic trial. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 102-107
- 7 Jethani B, Gupta M, Wadhwani P. et al. Clinical characteristics and remedy profiles of patients with COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 86-93
- 8 Rutten L, Smedley T, Ives G. et al. Data Collection during the COVID-19 pandemic: learning from experience, resulting in a Bayesian repertory. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 94-101
- 9 Waisse S. Severe acute thromboinflammation: case report of individualized homeopathic treatment. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 132-136
- 10 Virtual Issue. Homeopathy and COVID-19. . Available at: www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/issue/10.1055/s-010-49410
- 11 Fisher P. 100 years of Homeopathy. Homeopathy 2011; 100: 1-4
- 12 Schmidt JM. The need for multidisciplinary research within the history and theory of homeopathy. Homeopathy 2021; 110: 137-146