Subscribe to RSS
Robotic Resection of Pulmonary Epithelial Myoepithelial Carcinoma: A Case Report
Background Pulmonary epithelial–myoepithelial carcinoma (P-EMC) is an extremely rare, well-differentiated, and malignant neoplasm originating from submucosal bronchial glands in the lung. EMCs arise mainly in the salivary glands.
Case Description This case represents an asymptomatic 78-year-old male with a remote 75-pack-year history of smoking who presents with a solitary endobronchial lesion, which is suggestive of a primary lung EMC, detected on annual screening chest computed tomography (CT) scan.
Conclusion A recent review of literature reveals less than 50 documented cases of the pulmonary subtype of this tumor worldwide. We are reporting a unique case of robot-assisted pulmonary lobectomy for a P-EMC.
This research was supported (in whole or in part) by HCA Healthcare and/or an HCA Healthcare affiliated entity. The views expressed in this publication represent those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of HCA Healthcare or any of its affiliated entities.
Received: 19 September 2020
Accepted: 28 October 2020
27 June 2021 (online)
© 2021. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Garg PK, Sharma G, Rai S, Jakhetiya A. Primary salivary gland-type tumors of the lung: a systematic review and pooled analysis. Lung India 2019; 36 (02) 118-122
- 2 Nakashima Y, Morita R, Ui A, Iihara K, Yazawa T. Epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the lung: a case report. Surg Case Rep 2018; 4 (01) 74
- 3 Zhou X, Yu M, Zhuo H, Zhang S. Primary pulmonary myoepithelial carcinoma in a young woman: a case report and review of literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 2018; 97 (09) e0049
- 4 Inamura K. Lung cancer: understanding its molecular pathology and the 2015 WHO classification. Front Oncol 2017; 7: 193
- 5 Mori M, Hanagiri T, Nakanishi R, Ashikari S, Yasuda M, Tanaka F. Primary epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the lung with cavitary lesion: a case report. Mol Clin Oncol 2018; 9 (03) 315-317
- 6 Sesti J, Langan RC, Bell J. et al. A comparative analysis of long-term survival of robotic versus thoracoscopic lobectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 2020; 110 (04) 1139-1146
- 7 Paul S, Altorki NK, Sheng S. et al. Thoracoscopic lobectomy is associated with lower morbidity than open lobectomy: a propensity-matched analysis from the STS database. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 139 (02) 366-378
- 8 Cerfolio RJ, Ghanim AF, Dylewski M, Veronesi G, Spaggiari L, Park BJ. The long-term survival of robotic lobectomy for non-small cell lung cancer: a multi-institutional study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018; 155 (02) 778-786