Subscribe to RSS
Prophylactic and Therapeutic Measures of Homeopathy in Epidemic and Pandemic Diseases
Background The terms Epidemic and Pandemic refer to spread of infectious diseases in different countries, nations or regions. Infectious diseases have overrun millions of people in the past, as well as doing now when the world is facing current coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic, which has killed more than 607,781 people till July 2020, according to the World Health Organisation. Homeopathy has played an important role in controlling epidemic and pandemic diseases distressing humanity since the time of Hahnemann who cured scarlet fever with Belladonna and served community with best treatment. This article reviews the role of homeopathy in the management and prevention of pandemic and epidemic diseases.
Methods A homeopathic literature search was performed using several bibliographic databases such as Google Scholar, PubMed and Google search engine was used for collection of all relevant information from reports, review articles, archived files and Web pages etc., published in English language till July 2020.
Results Gathered information based on scientific evidences manifested the efficacy of homeopathy using various approaches such as individualisation, Genus epidemicus and isopathy for prevention and treatment of epidemic diseases.
Conclusion Homeopathy showcased its effectiveness in reduction of mortality and morbidity in epidemics for years. Moreover, prophylactic use of Genus epidemicus for symptomatic Covid-19 cases can be inexpensive, safe and more realistic.
Article published online:
17 June 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Littman RJ. The plague of Athens: epidemiology and paleopathology. Mt Sinai J Med 2009; 76 (05) 456-467
- 2 WHO. Global epidemics and impact of cholera. https://www.who.int/topics/cholera/impact/en/ . Accessed Oct 19, 2020
- 3 Sample I. A history of major flu pandemics. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/mar/28/history-major-flu-pandemics . Accessed Oct 19, 2020
- 4 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 6th edition. Translated by William Boericke. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers; 1991
- 5 Chalmers I, Toth B. Nineteenth-century controlled trials to test whether belladonna prevents scarlet fever. J R Soc Med 2009; 102 (12) 549-550
- 6 Boenninghausen CMF. Brief instructions for non-physicians concerning the prophylaxis and treatment of Asiatic cholera. In: The Lesser Writings of C.M.F. von Boenninghausen. Rep. edition. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers; 2005: 299-308
- 7 Hoover TA. Homeopathic prophylaxis: fact or fiction. J Am Inst Homeopath 2001; 94 (03) 168-175
- 8 Homoeopathy360. Homoeopathic perspectives in Covid-19 Coronavirus infection fact sheet. https://www.homeopathy360.com/2020/03/24/fact-sheet-homoeopathy-in-covid-19-coronavirus-infection-by-ccrh/ . Accessed Oct 19, 2020
- 9 Gadugu S, Nyapati SR, Sastry GLN. An open observational study on efficacy of miasmatic prescription in the prevention of Japanese encephalitis. Homeopathy 2014; 103: 78
- 10 Marrino R. Homeopathy and collective health: the case of dengue epidemics. Int J High Dilution Res 2008; 7 (25) 179-185
- 11 de Souza Nunes LA. Contribution of homeopathy to the control of an outbreak of dengue in Macaé, Rio de Janeiro. Int J High Dilution Res 2008; 7: 186-192
- 12 Nair KRJ, Gopinadhan S, Kurup TNS. et al. Homoeopathic Genus Epidemicus 'Bryonia alba' as a prophylactic during an outbreak of Chikungunya in India: a cluster -randomised, double -blind, placebo- controlled trial. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2014; 8: 160-165
- 13 HomeopathyPlus. Homeoprophylaxis: human records, studies and trials. https://homeopathyplus.com/Homeoprophylaxis-Human-Records-Studies-Trials.pdf . Accessed Oct 19, 2020
- 14 Jacobs J. Homeopathic prevention and management of epidemic diseases. Homeopathy 2018; 107 (03) 157-160
- 15 Bracho G, Varela E, Fernández R. et al. Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for Leptospirosis epidemic control. Homeopathy 2010; 99 (03) 156-166
- 16 Vincent S, Demonceaux A, Deswarte D, Scimeca D, Bordet MF. Management of influenza-like illness by homeopathic and allopathic general practitioners in France during the 2009-2010 influenza season. J Altern Complement Med 2013; 19 (02) 146-152
- 17 Ferley JP, Zmirou D, D'Adhemar D, Balducci F. A controlled evaluation of a homoeopathic preparation in the treatment of influenza-like syndromes. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1989; 27 (03) 329-335
- 18 Shah R. Scientific method of preparing homoeopathic nosodes. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2014; 8 (03) 166-174
- 19 Zimmer SM, Burke DS. Historical perspective--emergence of influenza A (H1N1) viruses. N Engl J Med 2009; 361 (03) 279-285
- 20 Society BH. Discussion on the treatment of influenza and its complications as seen in the present epidemic. Br Homeopath J 1918; 8: 305-312
- 21 WF B. Research work in Gelsemium sempervirens and Bryonia alba in influenza. J Am Inst Homeopath 1920; 12: 695-698
- 22 Holistic Moms. Swine flu and the Great Flu Pandemic of the 1918–19: similarities & what history can teach us. https://www.holisticmoms.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/swine-flu-and-homeopathy.pdf . Accessed Oct 19, 2020
- 23 Mathie RT, Baitson ES, Frye J, Nayak C, Manchanda RK, Fisher P. Homeopathic treatment of patients with influenza-like illness during the 2009 A/H1N1 influenza pandemic in India. Homeopathy 2013; 102 (03) 187-192
- 24 Vincent S, Demonceaux A, Deswarte D, Scimeca D, Bordet MF. Management of influenza-like illness by homeopathic and allopathic general practitioners in France during the 2009-2010 influenza season. J Altern Complement Med 2013; 19 (02) 146-152
- 25 Frei H. H1N1 influenza: a prospective outcome study with homeopathy and polarity analysis. AJHM 2014; 107: 20-28
- 26 Gupta J, Rao MP, Raju K. et al. Management of early years of simple and mucopurulent chronic bronchitis with pre-defined homeopathic medicines – a prospective observational study with 2-years follow-up. Int J High Dilution Res 2019; 18: 47-62
- 27 Ullman D. Italian MDs study results on homeopathic treatment of 50 COVID-19 patients none of whom needed hospitalization. https://homeopathic.com/italian-mds-study-results-on-homeopathic-treatment-of-50-covid-19-patients-none-of-whom-needed-hospitalization/ . Accessed Oct 19, 2020
- 28 Moorthi SK, Radhika P, Muralaeedharnan KC. Psychological implications during the outbreak of COVID-19 and its homoeopathic management. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2020; 14: 136-142
- 29 Kalliantas D, Kallianta M, Karagianni CS. Homeopathy combat against coronavirus disease (Covid-19). Z Gesundh wiss 2020; 5: 1-4
- 30 WHO. Ethical considerations for use of unregistered interventions for Ebola virus disease (EVD). https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2014/ebola-ethical-review-summary/en/ . Accessed Oct 19, 2020