Homeopathic treatment of patients with influenza-like illness during the 2009 A/H1N1 influenza pandemic in India
Received27 July 2012
revised18 March 2013
accepted23 April 2013
18 December 2017 (online)
Introduction: We conducted a prospective, multi-centre, data collection survey of homeopathic practice in treatment of influenza-like illness in India during the 2009 pandemic of A/H1N1 influenza (‘swine flu’, SF).
Aims: To survey the practice of homeopathic practitioners in India in the management of SF, with respect to: (a) patients' symptoms at presentation and at follow-up (FU) consultation; (b) homeopathic medicines prescribed.
Methods: Data collection took place from October 2009 to February 2010, at the peak of the pandemic. All patients satisfying the minimum diagnostic symptoms of SF were eligible for inclusion. Data per appointment (in person or by telephone) were recorded by practitioners in spreadsheet format. All records were anonymised and included: whether patient was immunised against A/H1N1; influenza symptoms at consultation; the homeopathic medicine/s prescribed; whether antiviral medicine prescribed.
Results: Twenty-three homeopathic physicians contributed to data collection. At the first appointment, 1126 patients had valid SF symptoms. A total of 89 different combinations of SF symptoms was observed, the most common being temperature >38°C + cough + runny nose (n = 170; 15.1%). A total of 44 different remedies (or combinations of remedies) were used at these first appointments, the most frequently prescribed being Arsenicum album (n = 265; 23.5%). For a total of 99 FU appointments with valid SF symptoms, Arsenicum album was prescribed most frequently overall (n = 28; 28.0%).
Conclusions: In our sample, the 2009 A/H1N1 influenza pandemic in India was characterised by several prominent symptoms and symptom/medicine associations, particularly temperature >38°C + cough + runny nose, associated with Arsenicum album. Future studies should collect additional keynote prescribing symptoms that influence the choice of homeopathic medicine.
- 1 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The 2009 A/H1N1 pandemic: summary highlights. http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/cdcresponse.htm April 2009–April 2010 [accessed 27.02.2013].
- 2 Dewey W.A. Homeopathy in influenza – a chorus of fifty in harmony. J Am Inst Hom 1921, May; 1038-1043.
- 3 Hamilton J. Experiences in influenza epidemic – 1951. Br Homoeopath J 1951; 41: 134-151.
- 4 Anon. The influenza epidemic. Homoeopathy (British Homoeopathic Association, London) 1957; 7: 184-187.
- 5 Department of AYUSH. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Government of India. AYUSH; 2011. http://www.indianmedicine.nic.in/writereaddata/linkimages/6073806227-3%202B.pdf [accessed 07.07.2012].
- 6 Department of AYUSH. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Government of India. AYUSH; 2011. http://www.indianmedicine.nic.in/writereaddata/linkimages/2734132980-6%201%20NRHM.pdf [accessed 07.07.2012].
- 7 Manchanda R.K., Kulashreshtha M. Cost effectiveness and efficacy of homeopathy in primary health care units of Government of Delhi – a study. Paper Presented at 60th International Homeopathic Congress. May 2005. Berlin: LIGA; 4-7 http://www.delhihomeo.com/paperberlin.html [accessed 07 07.2012].
- 8 Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. Situation update on H1N1 26 December 2010 http://mohfw-h1n1.nic.in/documents/PDF/EpidemiologicalTrendsInIndia.pdf [accessed 14.05.2012].
- 9 Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. Weekly Data of Influenza A H1N1 (for the week ending 26th December 2010) and Cumulative No. of Lab Confirmed Cases & Deaths – State Wise. http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=68733 [accessed 14.05.2012].
- 10 Mishra A.C., Chadha M.S., Choudhary M.L. et al. Pandemic influenza (H1N1) 2009 s associated with severe disease in India. PLoS One 2010; 5: e10540.
- 11 Dhar A. A(H1N1): Homoeopaths for preventive treatment. The Hindu 11 July 2012: 18.
- 12 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2009–2010 Influenza Season Triage Algorithm for Adults (older than 18 years of age) With Influenza-Like Illness. http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/clinicians/pdf/adultalgorithm.pdf [accessed 27.02.2013].
- 13 Belon P., Banerjee P., Choudhury S.C. et al. Can administration of potentized homeopathic remedy, Arsenicum album, alter antinuclear antibody (ANA) titer in people living in high-risk arsenic contaminated areas? I. A correlation with certain hematological parameters. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2006; 3: 99-107.
- 14 Khuda-Bukhsh A.R., Roy-Karmakar S., Banerjee A. et al. A follow-up study on the efficacy of the homeopathic remedy arsenicum album in volunteers living in high risk arsenic contaminated areas. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011: 129214.
- 15 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Weekly US Influenza Surveillance Report. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/ [accessed 10.03.2013].