A Rare Case of Severe Dilated Cardiomyopathy in Early Infancy
We report the case of a 3-month-old girl presenting with end-stage dilated cardiomyopathy and therapy-resistant cardiogenic shock. A left ventricular assist device (LVAD) Berlin Heart EXCOR was implanted, her organs recovered, and she was listed for heart transplantation. Two months later, while still on the LVAD, she was diagnosed with the rare genetic Alström syndrome. Weaning was no option, and she underwent successful heart transplantation at the age of 9 months. The follow-up 15 months later revealed an uneventful transplant course in a child with Alström syndrome.
Eingereicht: 04. August 2020
Angenommen: 09. September 2020
20. Januar 2021 (online)
© 2021. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Marshall JD, Beck S, Maffei P, Naggert JK. Alström syndrome. Eur J Hum Genet 2007; 15 (12) 1193-1202
- 2 Álvarez-Satta M, Castro-Sánchez S, Valverde D. Alström syndrome: current perspectives. Appl Clin Genet 2015; 8: 171-179
- 3 Marshall JD, Maffei P, Collin GB, Naggert JK. Alström syndrome: genetics and clinical overview. Curr Genomics 2011; 12 (03) 225-235
- 4 Marshall JD, Muller J, Collin GB. et al. Alström syndrome: mutation spectrum of ALMS1. Hum Mutat 2015; 36 (07) 660-668
- 5 Hollander SA, Alsaleh N, Ruzhnikov M. et al. Variable clinical course of identical twin neonates with Alström syndrome presenting coincidentally with dilated cardiomyopathy. Am J Med Genet 2017; 173 (06) 1687-1689
- 6 Brofferio A, Sachdev V, Hannoush H. et al. Characteristics of cardiomyopathy in Alström syndrome: prospective single-center data on 38 patients. Mol Genet Metab 2017; 121 (04) 336-343
- 7 Hearn T. ALMS1 and Alström syndrome: a recessive form of metabolic, neurosensory and cardiac deficits. J Mol Med (Berl) 2019; 97 (01) 1-17
- 8 Shenje LT, Andersen P, Halushka MK. et al. Mutations in Alström protein impair terminal differentiation of cardiomyocytes. Nat Commun 2014; 5: 3416