Subscribe to RSS
Predictive Value of Alvarado Score and Pediatric Appendicitis Score in the Success of Nonoperative Management for Simple Acute Appendicitis in Children
Introduction During the past decade, nonoperative management (NOM) for simple acute appendicitis (SAA) in children has been proven safe with noninferior complications rate. The aim of this study was to examine Alvarado score and pediatric appendicitis score (PAS) together with other factors in predicting failure of NOM in children presenting with SAA.
Materials and Methods Patients aged 5 to 18 years admitted to our department between 2017 and 2019 diagnosed with SAA were given a choice between surgical management and NOM. We divided the NOM patients into two groups: successful treatment and failed NOM, comparing their files for Alvarado score and PAS and other clinical and demographic factors, with a mean follow-up of 7 months. Failure was determined as need for appendectomy following conservative treatment due to any reason.
Results A total of 85 patients answered criteria and chose NOM. Overall failure rate was 32.9%. We found no difference in the mean Alvarado score and PAS as well as in each component of both scores between success and failed NOM groups. However, when using the risk classification of the scores, we found a significant correlation between high-risk Alvarado score and failed NOM. After adjusting for age, gender, duration of symptoms, diagnosis of tip appendicitis, and presence of appendicolith, the odds of failure were four times higher among high-risk Alvarado group.
Conclusion Alvarado score of 7 or higher, older age, and diagnosis of an appendicolith on imaging are possible predictors for failure of NOM for SAA in children.
Keywordssimple acute appendicitis - children - nonoperative management - Alvarado score - pediatric appendicitis score
Received: 14 May 2020
Accepted: 27 August 2020
20 October 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Bhangu A, Søreide K, Di Saverio S, Assarsson JH, Drake FT. Acute appendicitis: modern understanding of pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management. Lancet 2015; 386 (10000): 1278-1287
- 2 Tiboni S, Bhangu A, Hall NJ. Paediatric Surgery Trainees Research Network and the National Surgical Research Collaborative. Outcome of appendicectomy in children performed in paediatric surgery units compared with general surgery units. Br J Surg 2014; 101 (06) 707-714
- 3 Coccolini F, Fugazzola P, Sartelli M. et al. Conservative treatment of acute appendicitis. Acta Biomed 2018; 89 (9-S): 119-134
- 4 Emil S, Laberge JM, Mikhail P. et al. Appendicitis in children: a ten-year update of therapeutic recommendations. J Pediatr Surg 2003; 38 (02) 236-242
- 5 Hall NJ, Eaton S. Non-operative management of appendicitis in children. Arch Dis Child 2018; 103 (05) 498-502
- 6 Hutchings N, Wood W, Reading I. et al. CONTRACT Study - CONservative TReatment of Appendicitis in Children (feasibility): study protocol for a randomised controlled Trial. Trials 2018; 19 (01) 153
- 7 Mason RJ, Moazzez A, Sohn H, Katkhouda N. Meta-analysis of randomized trials comparing antibiotic therapy with appendectomy for acute uncomplicated (no abscess or phlegmon) appendicitis. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2012; 13 (02) 74-84
- 8 Hall NJ, Eaton S, Abbo O. et al. Appendectomy versus non-operative treatment for acute uncomplicated appendicitis in children: study protocol for a multicentre, open-label, non-inferiority, randomised controlled trial. BMJ Paediatr Open 2017; 1 (01) bmjpo-2017-000028
- 9 Xu J, Liu YC, Adams S, Karpelowsky J. Acute uncomplicated appendicitis study: rationale and protocol for a multicentre, prospective randomised controlled non-inferiority study to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of non-operative management in children with acute uncomplicated appendicitis. BMJ Open 2016; 6 (12) e013299
- 10 Knaapen M, van der Lee JH, Bakx R. et al. APAC collaborative study group. Initial non-operative management of uncomplicated appendicitis in children: a protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled trial (APAC trial). BMJ Open 2017; 7 (11) e018145
- 11 Gorter RR, van der Lee JH, Heijsters FACJ. et al. APAC Study Group. Outcome of initially nonoperative treatment for acute simple appendicitis in children. J Pediatr Surg 2018; 53 (09) 1849-1854
- 12 Svensson JF, Patkova B, Almström M. et al. Nonoperative treatment with antibiotics versus surgery for acute nonperforated appendicitis in children: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Ann Surg 2015; 261 (01) 67-71
- 13 Bachur RG, Lipsett SC, Monuteaux MC. Outcomes of nonoperative management of uncomplicated appendicitis. Pediatrics 2017; 140 (01) e20170048
- 14 Georgiou R, Eaton S, Stanton MP, Pierro A, Hall NJ. Efficacy and safety of nonoperative treatment for acute appendicitis: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics 2017; 139 (03) e20163003
- 15 Alvarado A. A practical score for the early diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Ann Emerg Med 1986; 15 (05) 557-564
- 16 Ohle R, O'Reilly F, O'Brien KK, Fahey T, Dimitrov BD. The Alvarado score for predicting acute appendicitis: a systematic review. BMC Med 2011; 9 (01) 139
- 17 Samuel M. Pediatric appendicitis score. J Pediatr Surg 2002; 37 (06) 877-881
- 18 Kyaw L, Pereira NK, Ang CX, Choo CSC, Nah SA. Parental preferences in treatment of acute uncomplicated appendicitis comparing surgery to conservative management with antibiotics and their views on research participation. Eur J Pediatr 2020; 179 (05) 735-742
- 19 Loftus TJ, Dessaigne CG, Croft CA. et al. A protocol for non-operative management of uncomplicated appendicitis. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2018; 84 (02) 358-364
- 20 Korkut M, Bedel C, Karancı Y, Avcı A, Duyan M. Accuracy of Alvarado, Eskelinen, Ohmann, RIPASA and Tzanakis scores in diagnosis of acute appendicitis; a cross-sectional study. Arch Acad Emerg Med 2020; 8 (01) e20
- 21 Miyauchi H, Okata Y, Hatakeyama T, Nakatani T, Nakai Y, Bitoh Y. Analysis of predictive factors for perforated appendicitis in children. Pediatr Int (Roma) 2020; 62 (06) 711-715
- 22 Hao TK, Chung NT, Huy HQ, Linh NTM, Xuan NT. Combining ultrasound with a pediatric appendicitis score to distinguish complicated from uncomplicated appendicitis in a pediatric population. Acta Inform Med 2020; 28 (02) 114-118
- 23 Zavras N, Vaos G. Management of complicated acute appendicitis in children: still an existing controversy. World J Gastrointest Surg 2020; 12 (04) 129-137
- 24 Castelló González M, Bueno Rodríguez JC, Hernández Moore E, Aguilar Atanay D. Predictors of recurrent appendicitis after non-operative management of children with perforated appendicitis presenting with an appendicular inflammatory mass. Arch Dis Child 2014; 99 (02) 154-157
- 25 Wang N, Lin X, Zhang S, Shen W, Wu X. Appendicolith: an explicit factor leading to complicated appendicitis in childhood. Arch Argent Pediatr 2020; 118 (02) 102-108
- 26 Pogorelić Z, Domjanović J, Jukić M, Poklepović Peričić T. Acute appendicitis in children younger than five years of age: diagnostic challenge for pediatric surgeons. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2020; 21 (03) 239-245