Exercise Echocardiography following Septal Myectomy for Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy
Objectives To investigate outcome after septal myectomy and to evaluate long-term hemodynamics with exercise echocardiography.
Methods This study included 40 consecutive patients operated with septal myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy from January 1998 to August 2017 at Skane University Hospital, Lund, Sweden. Perioperative clinical data and echocardiography measurements were reviewed retrospectively. Patients (n = 36) who were alive and living in Sweden were invited for exercise echocardiography to evaluate exercise capacity and hemodynamics, of whom 19 patients performed exercise echocardiography.
Results Overall survival was 100% at 1 year and 96% at 5 years following surgery. Preoperative median resting peak LVOT (left ventricular outflow tract) gradient was 80 mm Hg. Septum thickness was reduced from 22 ± 4 mm preoperatively to 16 ± 3 mm postoperatively (p < 0.001). During exercise echocardiography, the peak LVOT gradient was 8 mm Hg at rest, and increased to 13 mm Hg during exercise echocardiography (p = 0.002). None of the patients had dynamic LVOT obstruction during exercise echocardiography, and there was no clinically significant systolic anterior motion or severe mitral insufficiency during exercise.
Conclusions Long-term survival following septal myectomy is very good. At long-term follow-up, LVOT gradients were low and exercise echocardiography demonstrated good hemodynamics.
Received: 13 May 2020
Accepted: 18 August 2020
20 November 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Maron BJ, Gardin JM, Flack JM, Gidding SS, Kurosaki TT, Bild DE. Prevalence of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in a general population of young adults. Echocardiographic analysis of 4111 subjects in the CARDIA Study. Coronary Artery Risk Development in (Young) Adults. Circulation 1995; 92 (04) 785-789
- 2 Maron BJ. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a systematic review. JAMA 2002; 287 (10) 1308-1320
- 3 Maron BJ, Peterson EE, Maron MS, Peterson JE. Prevalence of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in an outpatient population referred for echocardiographic study. Am J Cardiol 1994; 73 (08) 577-580
- 4 Maron BJ, Casey SA, Haas TS, Kitner CL, Garberich RF, Lesser JR. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with longevity to 90 years or older. Am J Cardiol 2012; 109 (09) 1341-1347
- 5 Maron BJ, Ommen SR, Semsarian C, Spirito P, Olivotto I, Maron MS. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: present and future, with translation into contemporary cardiovascular medicine. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 64 (01) 83-99
- 6 Maron MS, Olivotto I, Zenovich AG. et al. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is predominantly a disease of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction. Circulation 2006; 114 (21) 2232-2239
- 7 Rowin EJ, Maron BJ, Olivotto I, Maron MS. Role of exercise testing in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2017; 10 (11) 1374-1386
- 8 Smedira NG, Lytle BW, Lever HM. et al. Current effectiveness and risks of isolated septal myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Ann Thorac Surg 2008; 85 (01) 127-133
- 9 Pelliccia F, Niccoli G, Gragnano F. et al. Alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy: a contemporary reappraisal. EuroIntervention 2019; 15 (05) 411-417
- 10 Maron BJ, Nishimura RA. Surgical septal myectomy versus alcohol septal ablation: assessing the status of the controversy in 2014. Circulation 2014; 130 (18) 1617-1624
- 11 Ommen SR, Maron BJ, Olivotto I. et al. Long-term effects of surgical septal myectomy on survival in patients with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 46 (03) 470-476
- 12 Merrill WH, Friesinger GC, Graham Jr TP. et al. Long-lasting improvement after septal myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Ann Thorac Surg 2000; 69 (06) 1732-1735 , discussion 1735–1736
- 13 Minami K, Boethig D, Woltersdorf H, Seifert D, Körfer R. Long term follow-up of surgical treatment of hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM): the role of concomitant cardiac procedures. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2002; 22 (02) 206-210
- 14 Hlatky MA, Boineau RE, Higginbotham MB. et al. A brief self-administered questionnaire to determine functional capacity (the Duke Activity Status Index). Am J Cardiol 1989; 64 (10) 651-654
- 15 Sherrid MV, Chaudhry FA, Swistel DG. Obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: echocardiography, pathophysiology, and the continuing evolution of surgery for obstruction. Ann Thorac Surg 2003; 75 (02) 620-632
- 16 Levine RA, Vlahakes GJ, Lefebvre X. et al. Papillary muscle displacement causes systolic anterior motion of the mitral valve. Experimental validation and insights into the mechanism of subaortic obstruction. Circulation 1995; 91 (04) 1189-1195
- 17 Rastegar H, Boll G, Rowin EJ. et al. Results of surgical septal myectomy for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: the Tufts experience. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2017; 6 (04) 353-363
- 18 Vanderlaan RD, Woo A, Ralph-Edwards A. Isolated septal myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy: an update on the Toronto General Hospital experience. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2017; 6 (04) 364-368
- 19 Kim LK, Swaminathan RV, Looser P. et al. Hospital volume outcomes after septal myectomy and alcohol septal ablation for treatment of obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: US Nationwide Inpatient Database, 2003-2011. JAMA Cardiol 2016; 1 (03) 324-332
- 20 Kayalar N, Schaff HV, Daly RC, Dearani JA, Park SJ. Concomitant septal myectomy at the time of aortic valve replacement for severe aortic stenosis. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 89 (02) 459-464
- 21 Quiñones MA, Otto CM, Stoddard M, Waggoner A, Zoghbi WA. Doppler Quantification Task Force of the Nomenclature and Standards Committee of the American Society of Echocardiography. Recommendations for quantification of Doppler echocardiography: a report from the Doppler quantification task force of the nomenclature and standards committee of the American Society of Echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2002; 15 (02) 167-184
- 22 Kwon DH, Smedira NG, Thamilarasan M, Lytle BW, Lever H, Desai MY. Characteristics and surgical outcomes of symptomatic patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with abnormal papillary muscle morphology undergoing papillary muscle reorientation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 140 (02) 317-324
- 23 Brudin L, Jorfeldt L, Pahlm O. Comparison of two commonly used reference materials for exercise bicycle tests with a Swedish clinical database of patients with normal outcome. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 2014; 34 (04) 297-307