Subscribe to RSS
Arachnoid Cyst Causing an Oculomotor Nerve Palsy in a Pediatric Patient: A Case ReportFunding This work was made possible in part by the Research to Prevent Blindness Unrestricted Grant.
An arachnoid cyst causing a compressive oculomotor nerve palsy is rare in the pediatric population. We describe a case of an acquired, partial oculomotor nerve palsy in a 3-year-old boy caused by an arachnoid cyst in the left crural cistern with associated amblyopia. The patient's amblyopia was aggressively treated, and he underwent cyst fenestration. Two months postoperatively, he continued to demonstrate a partial oculomotor palsy with improved visual acuity and recurrence of the cyst. This case demonstrates that cyst fenestration may not always resolve these paretic effects, cysts may recur after fenestration, and amblyopia must be treated in this setting.
Received: 08 July 2020
Accepted: 15 August 2020
Article published online:
18 September 2020
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Murthy SR, Murali K, Shanmugham MP, Sankar T. Presumed arachnoid cyst and acquired isolated third nerve palsy in a child-causal or incidental?. Niger J Ophthalmol 2017; 25 (02) 146-148 . Available at: http://www.nigerianjournalofophthalmology.com/article.asp?issn=0189-9171
- 2 Rengachary SS, Watanabe I. Ultrastructure and pathogenesis of intracranial arachnoid cysts. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 1981; 40 (01) 61-83
- 3 Ashker L, Weinstein JM, Dias M, Kanev P, Nguyen D, Bonsall DJ. Arachnoid cyst causing third cranial nerve palsy manifesting as isolated internal ophthalmoplegia and iris cholinergic supersensitivity. J Neuroophthalmol 2008; 28 (03) 192-197
- 4 Callaway MP, Renowden SA, Lewis TT, Bradshaw J, Malcolm G, Coakham H. Middle cranial fossa arachnoid cysts: not always a benign entity. Br J Radiol 1998; 71 (844) 441-443
- 5 Barr D, Kupersmith MJ, Pinto R, Turbin R. Arachnoid cyst of the cavernous sinus resulting in third nerve palsy. J Neuroophthalmol 1999; 19 (04) 249-251
- 6 Miyamoto T, Ebisudani D, Kitamura K, Ohshima T, Horiguchi H, Nagahiro S. Surgical management of symptomatic intrasellar arachnoid cysts--two case reports. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 1999; 39 (13) 941-945
- 7 Wörner BA, Noll M, Rahim T, Fink U, Oeckler R. Recurrent arachnoid cyst of Meckel's cave mimicking a brain stem ischaemia. Report of a rare case. Zentralbl Neurochir 2003; 64 (02) 76-79
- 8 Paraskevopoulos D, Roth J, Beni-Adani L, Constantini S. Interpeduncular arachnoid cysts in infants and children: insight into the entity based on a case series with long-term follow-up. Childs Nerv Syst 2011; 27 (03) 429-438
- 9 Fewel ME, Levy ML, McComb JG. Surgical treatment of 95 children with 102 intracranial arachnoid cysts. Pediatr Neurosurg 1996; 25 (04) 165-173
- 10 Kim M-K, Choi HS, Jeun S-S, Jung S-L, Ahn K-J, Kim BS. Arachnoid cyst in oculomotor cistern. Korean J Radiol 2013; 14 (05) 829-831