Fluoroquinolone Resistance in Clinical Isolates of Klebsiella PneumoniaeFunding This study was funded by Department of Science and Technology (DST) under Women Scientists Scheme (WOS-A).
Introduction Fluoroquinolones are widely used broad-spectrum antibiotics. Recently, increased rate of resistance to this antibiotic has been observed in Klebsiella pneumoniae. The aim of the present study was to determine the presence of quinolone resistance determining regions (QRDR) mutation genes and plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance (PMQR) determinants in clinical isolates of ciprofloxacin-resistant K. pneumoniae.
Material and Methods The study included 110 nonduplicate ciprofloxacin-resistant K. pneumoniae clinical isolates. Antibiotic susceptibility testing by disk diffusion method and minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) by agar dilution methods for ciprofloxacin was performed according to the recommendations of Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute. The presence of QRDR genes and PMQR genes was screened by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) amplification.
Result All 110 isolates were resistance to ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, and ofloxacin. As much as 88% of the isolates exhibited high-level of MIC to ciprofloxacin. Among the 110 isolates, 94(85%) harbored gyrA and 85 (77%) gyrB. The parC and parE genes were detected in 88 (80%) and 64 (58%) isolates. qnrB was detected in 13 (12%) isolates and qnrS in 5 (4.5%) isolates. Two (1.8%) isolates carried both qnrB and qnrS genes. The acc (6')-Ib-cr gene was found in 98 (89%) isolates and oqxAB was detected in 7 (6.3%) isolates. One (0.9%) isolate carried qnrB, acc(6')-Ib-cr and oqxAB genes.
Conclusion The prevalence of acc (6')-Ib-cr gene is high among PMQR determinants, followed by qnrB, oqxAB and qnrS.
02 September 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Poirel L, Cattoir V, Nordmann P. Plasmid mediated quinolone resistance; interactions between human, animal and environmental ecologies. Front Microbiol 2012; 3: 24-27
- 2 Hooper DC, Jacoby GA. Mechanisms of drug resistance: quinolone resistance. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2015; 1354 (01) 12-31
- 3 Briales A, Rodríguez-Martínez JM, Velasco C. et al. Prevalence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants qnr and aac(6′)-Ib-cr in Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae producing extended-spectrum β-lactamases in Spain. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2012; 39 (05) 431-434
- 4 Shams E, Firoozeh F, Moniri R, Zibaei M. Prevalence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance genes among extended-spectrumβ-Lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae human isolates in Iran. J Pathogens 2015; 2015: 434391
- 5 Strahilevitz J, Jacoby GA, Hooper DC, Robicsek A. Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance: a multifaceted threat. Clin Microbiol Rev 2009; 22 (04) 664-689
- 6 Redgrave LS, Sutton SB, Webber MA, Piddock LJ. Fluoroquinolone resistance: mechanisms, impact on bacteria, and role in evolutionary success. Trends Microbiol 2014; 22 (08) 438-445
- 7 Machuca J, Briales A, Labrador G. et al. Interplay between plasmid-mediated and chromosomal-mediated fluoroquinolone resistance and bacterial fitness in Escherichia coli. J Antimicrob Chemother 2014; 69 (12) 3203-3215
- 8 Araújo BF, Campos PA, Royer S. et al. High frequency of the combined presence of QRDR mutations and PMQR determinants in multidrug-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli isolates from nosocomial and community-acquired infections. J Med Microbiol 2017; 66 (08) 1144-1150
- 9 Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. M100, 27th ed. Wanye (PA): Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute; 2017
- 10 Pérez-Pérez FJ, Hanson ND. Detection of plasmid-mediated AmpC beta-lactamase genes in clinical isolates by using multiplex PCR. J Clin Microbiol 2002; 40 (06) 2153-2162
- 11 Tarchouna M, Ferjani A, Marzouk M. et al. Prevalence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants among clinical isolates of Escherichia coli in a Tunisian hospital. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 2015; 4 (03) 195-206
- 12 Robicsek A, Strahilevitz J, Sahm DF, Jacoby GA, Hooper DC. qnr prevalence in ceftazidime-resistant Enterobacteriaceae isolates from the United States. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2006; 50 (08) 2872-2874
- 13 Wareham DW, Umoren I, Khanna P, Gordon NC. Allele-specific polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for rapid detection of the aac(6′)-Ib-cr quinolone resistance gene. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2010; 36 (05) 476-477
- 14 Saleh MA, Balboula MM. Plasmid mediated quinolone resistance determinants among nosocomial clinical Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 2017; 6 (01) 42-50
- 15 Wang M, Tran JH, Jacoby GA, Zhang Y, Wang F, Hooper DC. Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance in clinical isolates of Escherichia coli from Shanghai, China. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2003; 47 (07) 2242-2248
- 16 Cattoir V, Nordmann P. Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance in gram-negative bacterial species: an update. Curr Med Chem 2009; 16 (08) 1028-1046
- 17 Correia S, Poeta P, Hébraud M, Capelo JL, Igrejas G. Mechanisms of quinolone action and resistance: where do we stand?. J Med Microbiol 2017; 66 (05) 551-559
- 18 Akya A, Lorestani RC, Elahi A. et al. The impact of mutations in topoisomerase genes and the plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance (PMQR) determinants on the resistance to fluoroquinolones in Klebsiella pneumoniae . Arch Clin Infect Dis 2017; 14 (04) 57290
- 19 Muthu G, Mangaiyarkarasi T, Vishnuprabu. Sathiskumar E, Srivani S. Detection of gyrA ser83 mutation and parCgene amplification in E.coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae from tertiary care hospital, Puducherry. Int J Med Microbiol Tropical Dis 2017; 3 (04) 167-170
- 20 Minarini LAR, Poirel L, Cattoir V, Darini AL, Nordmann P. Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants among enterobacterial isolates from outpatients in Brazil. J Antimicrob Chemother 2008; 62 (03) 474-478
- 21 Kim HB, Park CH, Kim CJ, Kim EC, Jacoby GA, Hooper DC. Prevalence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants over a 9-year period. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2009; 53 (02) 639-645
- 22 Yang HY, Nam YS, Lee HJ. Prevalence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance genes among ciprofloxacin-nonsusceptible Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated from blood cultures in Korea. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol 2014; 25 (03) 163-169
- 23 El-Badawy MF, Tawakol WM, El-Far SW. et al. Molecular identification of aminoglycoside-modifying enzymes and plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance genes among Klebsiella pneumoniae clinical isolates recovered from Egyptian patients. Int J Microbiol 2017; 2017: 8050432
- 24 Majlesi A, Kakhki RK, Mozaffari Nejad AS. et al. Detection of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance in clinical isolates of Enterobacteriaceae strains in Hamadan, West of Iran. Saudi J Biol Sci 2018; 25 (03) 426-430
- 25 Hamed SM, Elkhatib WF, El-Mahallawy HA, Helmy MM, Ashour MS, Aboshanab KMA. Multiple mechanisms contributing to ciprofloxacin resistance among Gram negative bacteria causing infections to cancer patients. Sci Rep 2018; 8 (01) 12268
- 26 Magesh H, Kamatchi C, Vaidyanathan R, Sumathi G. Identification of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance genes qnrA1, qnrB1 and aac(6′)-1b-cr in a multiple drug-resistant isolate of Klebsiella pneumoniae from Chennai. Indian J Med Microbiol 2011; 29 (03) 262-268
- 27 Tripathi A, Dutta SK, Majumdar M, Dhara L, Banerjee D, Roy K. High prevalence and significant association of ESBL and QNR genes in pathogenic Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates of patients from Kolkata, India. Indian J Microbiol 2012; 52 (04) 557-564
- 28 Vali L, Dashti AA, Jadaon MM, El-Shazly S. The emergence of plasmid mediated quinolone resistance qnrA2 in extended spectrumβ-lactamase producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in the Middle East. Daru 2015; 23 (01) 34
- 29 Goudarzi M, Azad M, Seyedjavadi SS. Prevalence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants and OqxAB efflux pumps among extended-spectrumβ-lactamase producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated from patients with nosocomial urinary tract infection in Tehran, Iran. Scientifica (Cairo) 2015; 2015: 518167
- 30 Alshammari MM, Ali Al-Skhattat H. . Detection of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance genes in clinical and environmental hospital isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae in Al-Najaf City. Kufa Journal For Nursing Sciences 2015; 5 (02) 1-9
- 31 Rodríguez-Martínez JM, Díaz de Alba P, Briales A. et al. Contribution of OqxAB efflux pumps to quinolone resistance in extended-spectrum-β-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae. J Antimicrob Chemother 2013; 68 (01) 68-73
- 32 Wang A, Yang Y, Lu Q. et al. Presence of qnr gene in Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae resistant to ciprofloxacin isolated from pediatric patients in China. BMC Infect Dis 2008; 8: 68
- 33 Cai X, Li C, Huang J. et al. Prevalence of plasmid- mediated quinolone resistance qnr gene in Central China. Afr J Microbiol Res 2011; 5: 975-978
- 34 Pasom W, Chanawong A, Lulitanond A, Wilailuckana C, Kenprom S, Puang-Ngern P. Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance genes, aac(6′)-Ib-cr, qnrS, qnrB, and qnrA, in urinary isolates of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae at a teaching hospital, Thailand. Jpn J Infect Dis 2013; 66 (05) 428-432
- 35 Eftekhar F, Seyedpour SM. Prevalence of qnr and aac(6′)-Ib-cr Genes in Clinical Isolates of Klebsiella Pneumoniae from Imam Hussein Hospital in Tehran. Iran J Med Sci 2015; 40 (06) 515-521
- 36 Chmelnitsky I, Hermesh O, Navon-Venezia S, Strahilevitz J, Carmeli Y. Detection of aac(6′)-Ib-cr in KPC-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates from Tel Aviv, Israel. J Antimicrob Chemother 2009; 64 (04) 718-722
- 37 Karah N, Poirel L, Bengtsson S. et al. Norwegian Study Group on PMQR. Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants qnr and aac(6′)-Ib-cr in Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp. from Norway and Sweden. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2010; 66 (04) 425-431
- 38 Deepak RN, Koh TH, Chan KS. Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants in urinary isolates of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae in a large Singapore hospital. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2009; 38 (12) 1070-1073
- 39 Ode T, Saito R, Kumita W. et al. Analysis of plasmid-mediated multidrug resistance in Escherichia coli and Klebsiella oxytoca isolates from clinical specimens in Japan. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2009; 34 (04) 347-350
- 40 Shin SY, Kwon KC, Park JW. et al. Characteristics of aac(6′)-Ib-cr gene in extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated from Chungnam area. Korean J Lab Med 2009; 29 (06) 541-550