Subscribe to RSS
Biomechanical Nasal Anatomy Applied to Open Preservation Rhinoplasty
Preservation rhinoplasty is a new way to reshape the nose by preserving the dorsum, nasal ligaments, soft tissue envelope, and muscles. This new concept provides the opportunity to achieve a more natural aesthetic and functional result. To achieve a good aesthetic and functional outcome while maintaining surgical safety, knowledge of the relevant anatomy is key. This is especially true for the preservation rhinoplasty technique, where a firm grasp of the anatomy of the nasal soft tissue and bony–cartilaginous framework is critical. The preservation technique is made more accessible by the open approach, which provides an opportunity for the deformity to be clearly visualized from the tip of the nose and the dorsum. Furthermore, tip plasty is easier to perform under direct vision, which is an advantage of the open approach. The goal of this article is therefore to make clear all the important anatomical structures and their relevance to the surgical steps taken when performing the open preservation rhinoplasty technique.
27 January 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Saban Y, Andretto Amodeo C, Hammou JC, Polselli R. An anatomical study of the nasal superficial musculoaponeurotic system: surgical applications in rhinoplasty. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2008; 10 (02) 109-115
- 2 Pitanguy I, Salgado F, Radwanski HN, Bushkin SC. The surgical importance of the dermocartilaginous ligament of the nose. Plast Reconstr Surg 1995; 95 (05) 790-794
- 3 Cakir B, Oreroğlu AR, Doğan T, Akan M. A complete subperichondrial dissection technique for rhinoplasty with management of the nasal ligaments. Aesthet Surg J 2012; 32 (05) 564-574
- 4 Yves Saban MD, Rollin K, Daniel MD. et al. Dorsal preservation: the push down technique reassessed. Aesthet Surg J 2017; 1-16
- 5 Lazovic GD, Daniel RK, Janosevic LB, Kosanovic RM, Colic MM, Kosins AM. Rhinoplasty: the nasal bones - anatomy and analysis. Aesthet Surg J 2015; 35 (03) 255-263
- 6 Cottle MH, Loring RM. Corrective surgery of the external nasal pyramid and the nasal septum for restoration of normal physiology. Ill Med J 1946; 90: 119-135
- 7 Daniel RK, Palhazi P. Rhinoplasty: An Anatomical and Surgical Atlas. New York, NY: Springer; 2017
- 8 Saban Y, Polselli R. Atlas d'Anatomie Chirurgicale de la Face et du Cou. Firenze-İtalia: Firenze SEE Editrice; 2008
- 9 Saban Y, Braccini F, Polselli R. Rhinoplasty: morphodynamic anatomy of rhinoplasty. Interest of conservative rhinoplasty [in French]. Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 2006; 127 (1-2): 15-22