Subscribe to RSS
Sonic Rhinoplasty: Review and Updated UsesFunding None.
The ultrasonic bone aspirator (UBA) allows for precision and provides ease of use in multiple steps of cosmetic and functional rhinoplasties. Its use has previously been described; however, since the publication of many studies the UBA has been improved and its applications for rhinoplasty have been modified and expanded. Both bony and cartilaginous modifications to the nose can be aided with the use of the UBA. From our experience, patient results have subjectively been found to be more acceptable, if not better, than with the use of other rhinoplasty instruments.
Keywordssonic rhinoplasty - ultrasonic bone aspirator - functional rhinoplasty - cosmetic rhinoplasty
No previously related publications of the same study.
24 August 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Pribitkin E, Greywoode JD. Sonic rhinoplasty: innovative applications. Facial Plast Surg 2013; 29 (02) 127-132
- 2 Greywoode JD, Pribitkin EA. Sonic rhinoplasty: histologic correlates and technical refinements using the ultrasonic bone aspirator. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2011; 13 (05) 316-321
- 3 Pribitkin EA, Lavasani LS, Shindle C, Greywoode JD. Sonic rhinoplasty: sculpting the nasal dorsum with the ultrasonic bone aspirator. Laryngoscope 2010; 120 (08) 1504-1507
- 4 Greywoode JD, Van Abel K, Pribitkin EA. Ultrasonic bone aspirator turbinoplasty: a novel approach for management of inferior turbinate hypertrophy. Laryngoscope 2010; 120 (Suppl. 04) S239
- 5 Stryker, “Sonopet.” Stryker. Accessed at: https://www.stryker.com/us/en/nse/products/sonopet-ultrasonic-aspirator.html
- 6 Cochran CS, Roostaeian J. Use of the ultrasonic bone aspirator for lateral osteotomies in rhinoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 2013; 132 (06) 1430-1433
- 7 Ketcham AS, Han JK. Complications and management of septoplasty. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2010; 43 (04) 897-904
- 8 Roy S, Iloreta AM, Bryant LM, Krein HD, Pribitkin EA, Heffelfinger RN. Piriform aperture enlargement for nasal obstruction. Laryngoscope 2015; 125 (11) 2468-2471
- 9 Marianetti TM, Boccieri A, Pascali M. Reshaping of the anterior nasal spine: an important step in rhinoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2016; 4 (09) e1026
- 10 Inoue T, Ikezaki K, Sato Y. Ultrasonic surgical system (SONOPET) for microsurgical removal of brain tumors. Neurol Res 2000; 22 (05) 490-494
- 11 Hosseini P, Mundis Jr GM, Eastlack R. et al. Is there a role for an ultrasonic bone-cutting device in adult spinal deformity: a safety and reproducibility study. Shafa Ortho J 2016; 3 (03) e7461
- 12 Bertossi D, Albanese M, Mortellaro C. et al. Osteotomy in genioplasty by piezosurgery. J Craniofac Surg 2018; 29 (08) 2156-2159
- 13 Bertossi D, Nocini R, Luciano U. et al. Piezoelectric surgery inserts vs conventional burst: a clinical investigation. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 2018; 32 (02) (Suppl. 02) 15-19
- 14 Bertossi D, Lucchese A, Albanese M. et al. Piezosurgery versus conventional osteotomy in orthognathic surgery: a paradigm shift in treatment. J Craniofac Surg 2013; 24 (05) 1763-1766
- 15 Sivak-Callcott JA, Linberg JV, Patel S. Ultrasonic bone removal with the Sonopet Omni: a new instrument for orbital and lacrimal surgery. Arch Ophthalmol 2005; 123 (11) 1595-1597
- 16 Chappell MC, Moe KS, Chang SH. Learning curve for use of the Sonopet ultrasonic aspirator in endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy. Orbit 2014; 33 (04) 270-275
- 17 Bruggers S, Sindwani R. Evolving trends in powered endoscopic sinus surgery. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2009; 42 (05) 789-798 , viii