IMMEDIATE IMPLANT PLACEMENT WITHOUT FLAP ELEVATION - A REVIEW
Background: Not elevating a flap has its own advantages in preserving soft tissue contour around the implant. Thus, aesthetic outcome will be best achievable in anterior region with immediate implant placement without flap elevation.
Summary of content: In present era, the outcome of placing implants into teeth sockets immediately following extraction is as predictable as placing into healed sockets. This procedure can be completed in two ways, one is with mucoperiosteal flap elevation and the other is without flap elevation.
This review article explains the indications, contraindications & factors affecting immediate implant placement without flap elevation. Furthermore it explains advantages - disadvantages of this procedure, case selection criteria & present approach towards this procedure.
Conclusion: Immediate dental implant placement in extraction sockets has been practiced universally from time to time. The advantage of this procedure over the conventional implant placement is obvious and especially so in the aesthetic zone. However careful selection of the patients and meticulous surgical procedure are critical in achieving success in Immediate Implant Placement without flap elevation.
26 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Zahran A, El-Refai M, Amir T, Fouda M. Clinical Evaluation of Flapless Free Hand Immediate Implant Placement in Fresh Extraction Sockets. The Journal of Implant & Advanced Clinical Dentistry. 2010;2:55-63
- 2 Stephen TC, Ivan BD, Eric CR, and John GC. Case series Immediate Implant Placement Postextraction Without Flap Elevation. The Journal of Clinical Periodontology, Jan. 2009;80(2):163-72
- 3 Cardaropoli G, Lekholm U, Wennström JL. Tissue alterations at implantsupported single-tooth replacements: a 1-year prospective clinical study. Clin Oral Impl Res. 2006 Apr; 17(2):165-71.
- 4 Prof. Dr. Mahmood Aly, Dr. Sarah Mohammed Arafat. Immediate loading of Implants Placed into Fresh Extraction Sockets with Periapical Lesions without Augmentation. Smile Dental Journal 2008; 3(4):6-21
- 5 Campelo LD, Camara JR. Flapless implant surgery: a 10-year clinical retrospective analysis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2002 Mar-Apr; 17(2):271-6.
- 6 Covani U, Barone A, Cornelini R, Crespi R. Soft tissue healing around implants placed immediately after tooth extraction without incision: a clinical report. Int J oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004 Jul-Aug; 19(4):549-53.
- 7 Abd El Salam El Askary. Immediate Aesthetic Implant Therapy (Ch. 6). Fundamentals of Aesthetic Implant Dentistry second ed. 2007:179-207.
- 8 Richard U. Koh, Ivan Rudek, and Hom-Lay Wang. Immediate Implant Placement: Positives and Negatives. The Journal of Implant Dentistry. 2010; 19(2):98-103.
- 9 Ruby S, Paolo G, Alessandro C and Enrico P. Post Extraction Implant Placement with Immediate Provisionalization and Finalization Using a Simplified Technique: Technical Notes and a Case Report. The Open Dentistry Journal 2012; 6:164-69
- 10 Stephen T, Daniel B, Prof. Dr. Med Dent. Clinical And Aesthetic Outcomes of Implants Placed in Post-Extraction Socket. The International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants 2009; 24:186-217.
- 11 Saadoun AP. Immediate implants placement and temporization in extraction and healed sites. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2002 Apr; 23(4):309-24.
- 12 Block M, Finger I, Castellon P, Lirettle D. Single-tooth immediate provisional restoration of dental implants: technique and early results. J Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 2004 Sep; 62(9):1131-8.
- 13 Searson L, Gough M and Hemmings K. Textbook of Implantology in General Dental Practice
- 14 Chong-Hyun Han, Jeong-Wan-Paik, Keun-Woo-Lee, Dong-Hoo-Han, Moon-Kyu-Chung, Sunjai Kim. Implant of Immediate & Non Immediate Provisionalization on the Soft Tissue Aesthetics of Final Restorations on Immediately Placed Implants. Journal of Korea Academy of Prosthodontics 2008; 43(3):238-45.
- 15 A Husein. Immediate ITI Implants in Management of Anterior Missing Tooth: A Case Report. Archives of Orofacial Sciences. 2006; 1:67-70.
- 16 Kan JY, Rungcharassaeng K., Lozada JL, Bilaminar Subepithelial Connective Tissue Grafts for Immediate Implant Placement and Provisionalization in the aesthetic zone. The Journal of California Dental Association 2005; 33:865-71.
- 17 Misch CE, Perel ML, Wang H, Sammartino G, Steigman M, Alberto Rebaudi, Pablo Galindo-Moreno, Ady Palti. Implant Success, Survival, and Failure: The International Congress of Oral Implantologists Pisa Consensus Conference. The Journal of Implant Dentistry. 2008; 17(1):5-9.
- 18 Stephen JC, Maurice AS, Henry S, David AG, Hanae S, Guido OS and Dennis PT. The Dual Zone Therapeutic Concept of Managing Immediate Implant Placement & Provisional Restoration in Anterior Extraction Sockets. Compendium July/August 2012; 33(7):524-34.
- 19 Brunski JE. In vivo bone response to biomechanical loading at the bone/dental-implant interface. Adv Dent Res. 1999 Jun; 13:99-119.
- 20 Jemt T. Regeneration of the gingival papillae after single-implant treatment. Int J Periodont Rest Dent. 1997 Aug; 17(4):326-33.
- 21 Mark RR, Michael SB and Donald EM. Correlation of Papilla to Crestal Bone Levels Around Single Tooth Implants in Immediate or Delayed Crown Protocols. Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 2005; 63:1184-95.
- 22 Araújo MG, Linder E, Lindhe J. Bio-Oss collagen in the buccal gap at immediate implants: a 6-month study in the dog. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2011; 22(1):1-8.