SPIRAL CT A SEARCH ENGINE FOR DIAGNOSING MULTIPLE CANALS - A RARE CASE REPORT
Successful treatment of any case mainly depends on proper diagnosis; this is particularly true when we are doing an endodontic treatment. Internal anatomy of root canal system varies a lot and predisposes to inadequate root canal preparation and should be recognized before or during treatment. Proper knowledge of these anatomical variations and proper diagnosis are of paramost important. As the routine diagnostic aids, radiograph is a two dimensional representation of a three dimensional object where the internal anatomy of the tooth cannot be appreciated properly. Spiral computed tomography (SCT) has got an advantage as it gives a 3 dimensional image of a given object. We present an interesting case of multiple canals in all the teeth except incisors in a single patient which was diagnosed with the aid of Dental CT and its potential role, this diagnostic method can help in the field of endodontics
24 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Schwarz MS, Rothman SL, Rhodes ML, Chafetz N. Computed tomography.I. Preoperative assessment of the mandible for endosseous implant surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1987 2:137–141.
- 2 DelBalso AM, Greiner FG, Licata M. Role of diagnostic imaging in evaluation of the dental implant patient. Radiographics 1994; 14:699-719
- 3 James J. Abrahams: Dental CT Imaging: A Look at the Jaw: Radiology, 2001; 219:334-345.
- 4 John II, Van TH, Carl EH, Gerald N G, Thomas S, Paul AR, Endodontic cavity preparation. In Endodontics, Fifth edn. 2002 BC Decker Inc Pg 405-570.
- 5 European Society of Endodontology. Quality guidelines for endodontic treatment: consensus report of the European society of Endodntology. Int Endod J 2006;39, 921-930.
- 6 Weine FS, Healey HJ, Gerstein H, Evanson I. Canal configuration in the Mesiobuccal root of the maxillary first molar and its endodontic significance. Oral Surg OralMed Oral Pathol 1969;28:419-425.
- 7 Vertucci FJ. Root canal anatomy of the human permanent teeth. Oral Surg OralMed Oral Pathol 1984;58:589-599.
- 8 Wong M. Maxillary first molar with three palatal canals. J Endod 1991;17:298–299.
- 9 Maggiore F, Jou YT, Kim S. A six-canal maxillary first molar: case report. Int Endod J 2002; 35:486–491.
- 10 Kiran Halkai, Rahul Halkai, Manisha Choudary, Endodontic management of maxillary first molar with two palatal canals and two mesiobuccal canals diagnosed with the aid of Spiral computed tomography – A case report. Endodontology, vol 25,issue 1,pgs 115-120
- 11 Vertucci FJ, Anthony RL. A scanning electron microscopic investigation of accessary foramina in the furcation and pulp chamber floor of molar teeth. Oral Surg 1986; 62:319.
- 12 Niemann RW, et al. Dye ingress in molars: furcation to chamber floor. JOE 1993; 19:293
- 13 Beatty RG, Krell K.Mandibular molars with five canals: report of two cases. J Am Dent Assoc 1987; 114:802.
- 14 alker RT. Root form and canal anatomy of mandibular second molars in a southern Chinese population. JOE 1988; 14:325.
- 15 Sierashi SM. Identification and endodontic management of threecanaled maxillary premolars. JOE 1989; 15:29.
- 16 Vertucci FJ, Selig A, Gillis R. Root canal morphology of the human maxillary second premolar. Oral Surg 1974;38:456.
- 17 Zillich R, Dowson J. Root canal morphology of mandibular first and second premolars. Oral Surg 1973;36:783
- 18 Bjorndal L, Carlsen O, Theusen G, Darvann T, Kreiborg S. External and internal macromorphology in 3D- reconstructed maxillary molars using computerized x-ray microtomography. IEJ 1999;32:3-9
- 19 Sert S, Bayirli GS. Evaluation of the root canal configurations of the mandibular and maxillary permanent teeth by gender in the Turkish population. JOE 2004;30: 391-398.
- 20 Reddy YP, Karpagavinayagam K, Subbarao CV. Management of dens invaginatus diagnosed by spiral computed tomography: a case report. J Endod 2008; 34: 1138-1142.
- 21 Soraya Robinson, C. Czerny, A. Gahleitner, T. Bernhart and F. M. Kainberger, Dental CT evaluation of mandibular first premolar root configurations and canal variations. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2002; 93:328-332.
- 22 Tachibana H, Matsumoto K. Applicability of x-ray computerised tomography in endodontics. Endod Dent Traumatol 1990;6:16–20.
- 23 Kim S, Baek S The microscope and endodontics. Dent Clin N Am 2004;48: 11–18.
- 24 Nakata K, Izumi M, Iwama A, Naito M, Inamoto K, Ariji E, Nakamura H. Utility of dental computed tomography (CT) in endodontic therapy.- Part 2: Diagnostic imaging of periapical lesions of each root of multirooted teeth. Japanese Journal of Conservative Dentistry 2004; 47:608-615.
- 25 jayaprakash patil, sushma jaju, prashant p jaju. Dental CT as a diagnostic aid in a case of multiple extra canals. Endodonto 23;1:86-90.