RETRO-AORTIC LEFT RENAL VEIN WITH DOUBLE LEFT RENAL ARTERY: A CASE REPORT
The kidneys are the excretory organs. The kidneys are supplied by right and left renal arteries at the level of second lumbar vertebrae. They are drained by right and left renal vein which runs anterior to renal arteries.
During routine dissection of an adult male cadaver in the department of Anatomy, we observed an unusual variation in the blood vessels supplying left kidney.
These variations are due to persistence of embryonic vessels.
Though variations in the renal vessels are common, proper knowledge of variations is essential not only to the anatomists but also for the clinicians and to perform surgical and radiological procedures more safely and efficiently.
24 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Hollinshead W. H. Anatomy for surgeons, 2nd edn. 1961; pp.542-546, Harper Row Publishers, New York.
- 2 G.J.Romanes. Cunningham's manual of Practical Anatomy, 15th edn. Vol.2, 2007; pp.175-176, Oxford Medical Publication, London.
- 3 Stardring S. Gray's Anatomy, 40th edn. 2008; pp 1231-33, Churchill Livingstone Elsevier Limited, London.
- 4 Praveen KM, Suseelamma D, Saritha S and Lingaswamy V. Multiple Renal Vascular Variations. Open Access Scientific Reports. Volume 1, Issue 6, 2012; pp.1-2.
- 5 Parimala NBS, Ratnaprabha CH, Prabhakara Rao M. Triple renal arteries and retro aortic left renal vein-A case report. National journal of clinical Anatomy. 2013; Vol 2(1) pp.38-40.
- 6 Decker CAG. Lee Mc Gregor's synopsis of surgical anatomy. 12th edn. 1986; pp.295-97, Akshar Pratiroop Pvt Ltd, Bombay.
- 7 Neelesh K, Vaishali P, Jyoti K, Sapna S. Double Accessory Right Renal Arteries. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences. Volume 1, Issue 5, Sep-Oct. 2012; pp.17-20.
- 8 Nayak BS. Multiple variations of the right renal Vessels. Singapore med journal. 2008; 49(6), pp.153-155.
- 9 Erol S, Alper H.U, Kanat O, Levent Ç, Mustafa E. Bilateral triple renal arteries. Journal of Ankara University Faculty of Medicine. 2005; 58(1). pp.18-19
- 10 Subhra M, Prabir M, Ranjan B. Bilateral Accessory Renal Arteries, Additional Right Renal Vein and Retroaortic Left Renal Vein- A Case Report. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research. Vol. 3; Issue 2; February 2013; pp.88-89.
- 11 Jigna KP, Subhash G, Sanjay V, Dharti K, Shaileshkumar N, Wani IN, et al. IJBAR. 2012; 03(11) pp. 815- 817.
- 12 Necdet K, Bülent Y, Cenk K, Yalçýn K, Hasan O. Accessory renal arteries and an anomalous testicular artery of high origin. Gülhane Týp Dergisi 2005; 47: pp. 141-143.
- 13 Satheesh N B. Presence of accessory renal artery and kinking of aorta due to abnormal origin of renal arteries. The Internet Journal of Biological Anthropology. 2008; 1(2).DOI:10.5580/115c, 20/06/2013.
- 14 Ugur O, Levent O, Fahri T, Osman K, Zafer K, Nihal K. Renal artery origins and variations: angiographic evaluation of 855 consecutive patients. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2006; 12: pp.183-186.
- 15 Moore K L and Persaud TVN. The Developing Human- Clinically th oriented embryology. 6th edn, 1998; pp. 310-313. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- 16 Sadler T.W. Langman's Medical Embryology. 11th edn. 2010; pp.235- 242. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia.
- 17 Datta A.K. Essentials of human Embryology. 5th edn, 2010; pp. 201- 219. Current Books International, Kolkatta.
- 18 Ambica W and Sandeep S. Double Precaval Right Renal Arteries - Its Clinical Implications. Int J Med Health Sci. October 2012; Vol-1;Issue-4. pp.76-79.
- 19 Satyapal KS, Kalideen JM, Haffejee AA, Singh B, Robbs N. Left renal vein variations. Surg RadiolAnat. 1999; 21: pp. 77-81.
- 20 Khin PPH, Srijith D, Isra MS, Azian AL, Norzana AG, Farhah HS, et al. Accesory renal vessels at upper and lower poles of kidney. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2010;111(5) pp. 308-310.