A New Planning Method to Easily Harvest the Superficial Circumflex Iliac Artery Perforator FlapFunding None.
21. Mai 2019
27. August 2019
21. Oktober 2019 (online)
Background The superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap (SCIP) is a thin, pliable, and versatile flap used mainly for extremities and head and neck reconstruction. Different planning methods have been described, but these are not yet standardized like in other flaps. The aim of this study is to present a fast, effective, and reliable method for SCIP flap planning using computed tomography angiography (CTA).
Patients and Methods Between October 2017 and September 2018, CTA was performed on 40 patients. Preoperative planning of SCIP flaps based on the medial branch was performed analyzing CTA images. The perforating sites of the medial branch on the deep (point D) and superficial fascia (point S) were identified. Distances to those points, from the center of the umbilicus in the “y-axis” and the midline perpendicularly in the “x-axis,” were measured. These measurements were transferred to the patient's skin as a guide for dissection.
Results Eighty areas were studied identifying points D and S in CTA. Forty-three SCIP flaps were performed using this planning method. In 100% of the flaps, points D and S matched perfectly with handheld Doppler and surgical findings.
Conclusion Points D and S method for medial branch based SCIP planning with CTA is an easy to learn, efficient, fast, and reliable technique for preoperative planning, allowing a safe and predictable elevation of the flap.
- 1 McGregor IA, Jackson IT. The groin flap. Br J Plast Surg 1972; 25 (01) 3-16
- 2 Daniel RK, Taylor GI. Distant transfer of an island flap by microvascular anastomoses. A clinical technique. Plast Reconstr Surg 1973; 52 (02) 111-117
- 3 Koshima I, Nanba Y, Tsutsui T. , et al. Superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap for reconstruction of limb defects. Plast Reconstr Surg 2004; 113 (01) 233-240
- 4 Iida T, Mihara M, Yoshimatsu H, Narushima M, Koshima I. Versatility of the superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap in head and neck reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg 2014; 72 (03) 332-336
- 5 Iida T, Narushima M, Yoshimatsu H, Yamamoto T, Araki J, Koshima I. A free vascularised iliac bone flap based on superficial circumflex iliac perforators for head and neck reconstruction. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2013; 66 (11) 1596-1599
- 6 Iida T, Mihara M, Yoshimatsu H, Narushima M, Koshima I. Reconstruction of the external auditory canal using a super-thin superficial circumflex iliac perforator flap after tumour resection. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2013; 66 (03) 430-433
- 7 Koshima I, Nanba Y, Nagai A, Nakatsuka M, Sato T, Kuroda S. Penile reconstruction with bilateral superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator (SCIP) flaps. J Reconstr Microsurg 2006; 22 (03) 137-142
- 8 Han HH, Lee JH, Kim SM, Jun YJ, Kim YJ. Scrotal reconstruction using a superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap following Fournier's gangrene. Int Wound J 2016; 13 (05) 996-999
- 9 Gentileschi S, Servillo M, Garganese G. , et al. Surgical therapy of vulvar cancer: how to choose the correct reconstruction?. J Gynecol Oncol 2016; 27 (06) e60
- 10 Gentileschi S, Servillo M, Garganese G. , et al. The lymphatic superficial circumflex iliac vessels deep branch perforator flap: A new preventive approach to lower limb lymphedema after groin dissection-preliminary evidence. Microsurgery 2017; 37 (06) 564-573
- 11 Yoshimatsu H, Iida T, Yamamoto T, Hayashi A. Superficial circumflex iliac artery-based iliac bone flap transfer for reconstruction of bony defects. J Reconstr Microsurg 2018; 34 (09) 719-728
- 12 Kim JH, Kim KN, Yoon CS. Reconstruction of moderate-sized distal limb defects using a superthin superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap. J Reconstr Microsurg 2015; 31 (09) 631-635
- 13 Hong JP, Sun SH, Ben-Nakhi M. Modified superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap and supermicrosurgery technique for lower extremity reconstruction: a new approach for moderate-sized defects. Ann Plast Surg 2013; 71 (04) 380-383
- 14 Smit JM, Klein S, Werker PMN. An overview of methods for vascular mapping in the planning of free flaps. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2010; 63 (09) e674-e682
- 15 Tashiro K, Harima M, Kato M. , et al. Preoperative color Doppler ultrasound assessment in planning of SCIP flaps. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2015; 68 (07) 979-983
- 16 Sidhoum N, Dast S, Perez S, Assaf N, Herlin C, Sinna R. [Superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap (scip flap): revival of the inguinal donor site?]. Ann Chir Plast Esthet 2017; 62 (06) 646-651
- 17 Jin S, He Y, Tian Z, Feng S, Zhang Y. Superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap aided by color Doppler sonography mapping for like-with-like buccal reconstruction. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2015; 119 (02) 170-176
- 18 Suh HSP, Jeong HH, Choi DH, Hong JPJP. Study of the medial superficial perforator of the superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap using computed tomographic angiography and surgical anatomy in 142 patients. Plast Reconstr Surg 2017; 139 (03) 738-748
- 19 He Y, Jin S, Tian Z. , et al. Superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap's imaging, anatomy and clinical applications in oral maxillofacial reconstruction. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2016; 44 (03) 242-248
- 20 Goh TLH, Park SW, Cho JY, Choi JW, Hong JP. The search for the ideal thin skin flap: superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap--a review of 210 cases. Plast Reconstr Surg 2015; 135 (02) 592-601
- 21 Hong JP, Choi DH, Suh H. , et al. A new plane of elevation: the superficial fascial plane for perforator flap elevation. J Reconstr Microsurg 2014; 30 (07) 491-496
- 22 Iida T, Yoshimatsu H, Hara H, Mihara M, Koshima I. Reconstruction of large facial defects using a sensate superficial circumflex iliac perforator flap based on the lateral cutaneous branches of the intercostal nerves. Ann Plast Surg 2014; 72 (03) 328-331
- 23 Choi DH, Goh T, Cho JY, Hong JP. Thin superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap and supermicrosurgery technique for face reconstruction. J Craniofac Surg 2014; 25 (06) 2130-2133
- 24 Oh TS, Lee HS, Hong JP. Diabetic foot reconstruction using free flaps increases 5-year-survival rate. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2013; 66 (02) 243-250
- 25 Giacalone G, Yamamoto T, Hayashi A. , et al. Lymphatic supermicrosurgery for the treatment of recurrent lymphocele and severe lymphorrhea. Microsurgery 2019; 39 (04) 326-331
- 26 Ono S, Hayashi H, Ohi H, Ogawa R. Imaging studies for preoperative planning of perforator flaps: an overview. Clin Plast Surg 2017; 44 (01) 21-30
- 27 Gentileschi S, Servillo M, De Bonis F. , et al. Radioanatomical study of the pedicle of the superficial circumflex iliac perforator flap. J Reconstr Microsurg 2019; 35 (09) 669-676
- 28 Debelmas A, Camuzard O, Aguilar P, Qassemyar Q. Reliability of color Doppler ultrasound imaging for the assessment of anterolateral thigh flap perforators: a prospective study of 30 perforators. Plast Reconstr Surg 2018; 141 (03) 762-766
- 29 Feng S, Min P, Grassetti L. , et al. A prospective head-to-head comparison of color Doppler ultrasound and computed tomographic angiography in the preoperative planning of lower extremity perforator flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg 2016; 137 (01) 335-347
- 30 Feng S, Xi W, Zhang Z. , et al. A reappraisal of the surgical planning of the superficial circumflex iliac artery perforator flap. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2017; 70 (04) 469-477
- 31 Pereira N, Kufeke M, Parada L. , et al. Augmented reality microsurgical planning with a smartphone (arm-ps): a dissection route map in your pocket. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2019; 72 (05) 759-762
- 32 Su W, Lu L, Lazzeri D. , et al. Contrast-enhanced ultrasound combined with three-dimensional reconstruction in preoperative perforator flap planning. Plast Reconstr Surg 2013; 131 (01) 80-93
- 33 Ono S, Hayashi H, Ohi H, Ogawa R. Imaging studies for preoperative planning of perforator flaps: an overview. Clin Plast Surg 2017; 44 (01) 21-30