Aortic Valve–Sparing Root Replacement (David I Procedure) in Adolescents: Long-Term OutcomeFunding This study was funded by departmental grants.
14 March 2019
10 June 2019
22 July 2019 (online)
Introduction Aortic valve-sparing root replacement (David's procedure) is an especially appealing treatment option for young patients. Here, we present the short-, mid, and long-term outcomes of this operation in adolescent patients.
Methods Between September 1994 and March 2014, 29 patients aged 6 to 21 years underwent the David-I procedure at our center. We conducted a retrospective study with follow-up.
Results The mean age was 16.8 ± 3.4 years and 90% (n = 26) were male. Marfan's syndrome was present in 86% (n = 25) of cases. Ninety-seven percent (n = 28) of cases were performed electively, and one case (3%) was performed emergently for acute aortic dissection type A. There were no early perioperative deaths (0%). Follow-up, which was completed on 100% of patients, comprised a total of 394 patient years and a mean follow-up time of 13.6 ± 5.4 years. The estimates for survival at 1, 5, and 10 years after initial surgery were 100, 97, and 93%, respectively. During follow-up, there were four (14%) late deaths and five (17%) aortic valve-related reoperations. The 1-, 5-, and 10-year estimates for freedom from valve-related reoperation were 100, 86, and 83%, respectively. The perioperative mortality for these five reoperations was 0%.
Discussion Aortic valve–sparing root replacement can be performed in adolescents with a very low perioperative risk. Long-term survival seems to be affected by connective tissue diseases.
The manuscript has been selected for presentation at the Annual Meeting of the German Society for Thoracic, Cardiac and Vascular Surgery in Wiesbaden, Germany, February 16 to 19, 2019.
- 1 David TE, Feindel CM. An aortic valve-sparing operation for patients with aortic incompetence and aneurysm of the ascending aorta. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1992; 103 (04) 617-621 , discussion 622
- 2 David TE, Armstrong S, Ivanov J, Feindel CM, Omran A, Webb G. Results of aortic valve-sparing operations. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2001; 122 (01) 39-46
- 3 Shrestha M, Baraki H, Maeding I. , et al. Long-term results after aortic valve-sparing operation (David I). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 41 (01) 56-61 , discussion 61–62
- 4 Beckmann E, Martens A, Alhadi FA. , et al. Is Bentall procedure still the gold standard for acute aortic dissection with aortic root involvement?. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016; 64 (02) 116-123
- 5 Beckmann E, Martens A, Pertz J. , et al. Valve-sparing David I procedure in acute aortic type A dissection: a 20-year experience with more than 100 patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2017; 52 (02) 319-324
- 6 Di Bartolomeo R, Pacini D, Martin-Suarez S. , et al. Valsalva prosthesis in aortic valve-sparing operations. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2006; 5 (03) 294-298
- 7 Pacini D, Settepani F, De Paulis R. , et al. Early results of valve-sparing reimplantation procedure using the Valsalva conduit: a multicenter study. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 82 (03) 865-871 , discussion 871–872
- 8 De Paulis R, Scaffa R, Nardella S. , et al. Use of the Valsalva graft and long-term follow-up. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 140 (6, Suppl.): S23-S27 , discussion S45–S51
- 9 Cameron DE, Alejo DE, Patel ND. , et al. Aortic root replacement in 372 Marfan patients: evolution of operative repair over 30 years. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 87 (05) 1344-1349 , discussion 1349–1350
- 10 Price J, Magruder JT, Young A. , et al. Long-term outcomes of aortic root operations for Marfan syndrome: A comparison of Bentall versus aortic valve-sparing procedures. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016; 151 (02) 330-336
- 11 Vricella LA, Williams JA, Ravekes WJ. , et al. Early experience with valve-sparing aortic root replacement in children. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 80 (05) 1622-1626 , discussion 1626–1627
- 12 Patel ND, Arnaoutakis GJ, George TJ. , et al. Valve-sparing aortic root replacement in children: intermediate-term results. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2011; 12 (03) 415-419 , discussion 419
- 13 Roubertie F, Ben Ali W, Raisky O, Tamisier D, Sidi D, Vouhé PR. Aortic root replacement in children: a word of caution about valve-sparing procedures. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2009; 35 (01) 136-140
- 14 Tweddell JS, Earing MG, Bartz PJ, Dunham-Ingles JL, Woods RK, Mitchell ME. Valve-sparing aortic root reconstruction in children, teenagers, and young adults. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 94 (02) 587-590 , discussion 590–591
- 15 Saleeb SF, Newburger JW, Geva T. , et al. Accelerated degeneration of a bovine pericardial bioprosthetic aortic valve in children and young adults. Circulation 2014; 130 (01) 51-60
- 16 Chan V, Malas T, Lapierre H. , et al. Reoperation of left heart valve bioprostheses according to age at implantation. Circulation 2011; 124 (11, Suppl.): S75-S80
- 17 Oxenham H, Bloomfield P, Wheatley DJ. , et al. Twenty year comparison of a Bjork-Shiley mechanical heart valve with porcine bioprostheses. Heart 2003; 89 (07) 715-721
- 18 Akins CW, Miller DC, Turina MI. , et al. Guidelines for reporting mortality and morbidity after cardiac valve interventions. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 33 (04) 523-528
- 19 Fries R, Graeter T, Aicher D. , et al. In vitro comparison of aortic valve movement after valve-preserving aortic replacement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 132 (01) 32-37
- 20 Beckmann E, Leone A, Martens A. , et al. Aortic valve-sparing root replacement (David procedure): Comparison between straight tube graft and Valsalva graft. Poster presentation at the 54th Annual Meeting of The Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, January 27–31, 2018
- 21 Wassef AWA, Rodes-Cabau J, Liu Y. , et al. The learning curve and annual procedure volume standards for optimum outcomes of transcatheter aortic vavle replacement: findings from an international registry. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2018; 11 (17) 1669-1679
- 22 Esaki J, Leshnower BG, Binongo JN. , et al. Risk factors for late aortic valve dysfunction after David V valve-sparing root replacement. Ann Thorac Surg 2017; 104 (05) 1479-1487
- 23 Vanem TT, Geiran OR, Krohg-Sørensen K, Røe C, Paus B, Rand-Hendriksen S. Survival, causes of death, and cardiovascular events in patients with Marfan syndrome. Mol Genet Genomic Med 2018; 6 (06) 1114-1123