Subscribe to RSS
Comparative Evaluation of Cross-table and Ducroquet Incidences for Measurement of the Hip Alpha Angle[∗]Article in several languages: português | English
05 March 2019
22 January 2019
20 August 2019 (online)
Objective The purpose of the present paper is to compare the equivalence of the measurement of the alpha angle using the Ducroquet and cross-table lateral views.
Methods We have recruited 90 patients, resulting in 95 hips. We have standardized the realization of the radiographic views. The incidence of the lateral cross-table views were taken with 15° of internal rotation with the patient in the supine position, and the incidence of the Ducroquet views was standardized with the patient in the supine position, with 90° of flexion and 45° of abduction of the hip. The alpha angle was measured in both lateral views, by two musculoskeletal radiologists. The measurements were performed in 2 different times: an initial evaluation and another 4 weeks afterwards. The t Student test was used and calculated the intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC).
Results We have found a good intraobserver correlation for both views in different times; there was no statistically significant difference between the measurements performed by the two views. However, the interobserver correlation was low.
Conclusion In conclusion, the Ducroquet profile view is a good choice for the α angle measurement and can be used instead of the cross-table view.
∗ Work performed at the Hip Group, Orthopedics and Traumatology Department, Irmandade Santa Casa de Misericórdia, Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da Santa Casa de São Paulo (FCMSCSP), São Paulo, SP, Brazil.
- 1 Clohisy JC, Carlisle JC, Trousdale R, Kim YJ, Beaule PE, Morgan P. , et al. Radiographic evaluation of the hip has limited reliability. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467 (03) 666-675
- 2 Fadul DA, Carrino JA. Imaging of femoroacetabular impingement. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2009; 91 (Suppl. 01) 138-143
- 3 Dudda M, Albers C, Mamisch TC, Werlen S, Beck M. Do normal radiographs exclude asphericity of the femoral head-neck junction?. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467 (03) 651-659
- 4 Tannast M, Siebenrock KA, Anderson SE. Femoroacetabular impingement: radiographic diagnosis--what the radiologist should know. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2007; 188 (06) 1540-1552
- 5 Eijer H, Leunig M, Mahomed MN, Ganz R. Cross- table lateral radiographs for screening of anterior femoral head- neck offset in patients with femoro- acetabular impingement. Hip Int 2001; 11 (01) 37-41
- 6 Neumann M, Cui Q, Siebenrock KA, Beck M. Impingement-free hip motion: the ‘normal’ angle alpha after osteochondroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467 (03) 699-703
- 7 Fraitzl CR, Käfer W, Nelitz M, Reichel H. Radiological evidence of femoroacetabular impingement in mild slipped capital femoral epiphysis: a mean follow-up of 14.4 years after pinning in situ. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2007; 89 (12) 1592-1596
- 8 Nötzli HP, Wyss TF, Stoecklin CH, Schmid MR, Treiber K, Hodler J. The contour of the femoral head-neck junction as a predictor for the risk of anterior impingement. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2002; 84 (04) 556-560
- 9 Clohisy JC, Nunley RM, Otto RJ, Schoenecker PL. The frog-leg lateral radiograph accurately visualized hip cam impingement abnormalities. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007; 462 (462) 115-121
- 10 Ito K, Minka II MA, Leunig M, Werlen S, Ganz R. Femoroacetabular impingement and the cam-effect. A MRI-based quantitative anatomical study of the femoral head-neck offset. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2001; 83 (02) 171-176
- 11 Godefroy D, Chevrot A, Morvan G, Rousselin B, Sarazin L. [Plain films of pelvis]. J Radiol 2008; 89 (5 Pt 2): 679-690 , quiz 691
- 12 Chrétien J. -Lateral views of the hip-. Ann Radiol (Paris) 1997; 40 (01) 5-10
- 13 Meyer DC, Beck M, Ellis T, Ganz R, Leunig M. Comparison of six radiographic projections to assess femoral head/neck asphericity. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2006; 445 (445) 181-185
- 14 Loder RT. Effect of femur position on the angular measurement of slipped capital femoral epiphysis. J Pediatr Orthop 2001; 21 (04) 488-494
- 15 Gosvig KK, Jacobsen S, Palm H, Sonne-Holm S, Magnusson E. A new radiological index for assessing asphericity of the femoral head in cam impingement. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2007; 89 (10) 1309-1316
- 16 Rakhra KS, Sheikh AM, Allen D, Beaulé PE. Comparison of MRI alpha angle measurement planes in femoroacetabular impingement. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467 (03) 660-665