Mid-Term Outcomes after Transapical and Transfemoral Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation for Aortic Stenosis and Porcelain Aorta with a Systematic Review of Transfemoral versus Transapical Approach
Background We have aimed to analyze early and mid-term outcomes of patients undergoing transapical/transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TA-/TF-TAVI) for aortic stenosis and porcelain aorta (PAo) in our institution. Additionally, we postulated that the TA approach may be associated with a more favorable neurological outcome than the TF approach; hence, a systematic literature review was conducted.
Methods Between 2011 and 2017, 15 patients with PAo underwent TA-TAVI and 4 patients with PAo TF-TAVI at our institution. The assessment of PAo was done either intraoperatively after aborted sternotomy or via computed tomography for elective TAVI. We conducted mid-term follow-up. Furthermore, a systematic review was performed to compare the mortality and neurological outcomes of TF and TA-TAVI approaches.
Results TA/TF-TAVIs were performed with 100% device success, without paravalvular leakage ≥ 2 and without procedural death. The 30-day mortality/stroke rates were 6.6%/0% in TA-TAVI and 0%/25% in TF-TAVI, respectively. The 6-month, 1-year, and 2-year survival rates were in TA/TF-TAVI 93%/75%, 82%/66.6%, and 50%/0%, respectively.
The pooled results derived from the literature review were as follows: The prevalence of PAo in the TAVI population is 9.74%; the mean logistic EuroSCORE is 41.9% in TA-TAVI versus 16.2% in TF-TAVI; the mean 30-day mortality is 5.9% in TA-TAVI versus 6.3% in TF-TAVI, and the mean stroke is 0.8% in TA-TAVI versus 9% in TF-TAVI.
Conclusion TA-TAVI shows promising early and mid-term outcomes in patients with PAo. TF-TAVI performed in patients with PAo is likely to be associated with higher rates of stroke than TA-TAVI.
This study was presented at the annual meeting of the German Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Leipzig, February 20, 2018.
Received: 24 December 2018
Accepted: 14 May 2019
26 June 2019 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Gillinov AM, Lytle BW, Hoang V. et al. The atherosclerotic aorta at aortic valve replacement: surgical strategies and results. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 120 (05) 957-963
- 2 Castrodeza J, Amat-Santos IJ, Serra V. et al. Therapeutic alternatives after aborted sternotomy at the time of surgical aortic valve replacement in the TAVI Era-Five centre experience and systematic review. Int J Cardiol 2016; 223: 1019-1024
- 3 Idrees J, Roselli EE, Raza S. et al. Aborted sternotomy due to unexpected porcelain aorta: does transcatheter aortic valve replacement offer an alternative choice?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015; 149 (01) 131-134
- 4 Ramirez-Del Val F, Hirji SA, Yammine M. et al. Effectiveness and safety of transcatheter aortic valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients with “Porcelain” aorta. Am J Cardiol 2018; 121 (01) 62-68
- 5 Van Mieghem NM, Van Der Boon RM. Porcelain aorta and severe aortic stenosis: is transcatheter aortic valve implantation the new standard?. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed) 2013; 66 (10) 765-767
- 6 Kempfert J, Van Linden A, Linke A. et al. Transapical aortic valve implantation: therapy of choice for patients with aortic stenosis and porcelain aorta?. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 90 (05) 1457-1461
- 7 Baumgartner H, Falk V, Bax JJ. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2017 ESC/EACTS guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease. Eur Heart J 2017; 38 (36) 2739-2791
- 8 Kappetein AP, Head SJ, Généreux P. et al. Updated standardized endpoint definitions for transcatheter aortic valve implantation: the Valve Academic Research Consortium-2 consensus document. Eur Heart J 2012; 33 (19) 2403-2418
- 9 Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J. et al. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration. BMJ 2009; 339: b2700
- 10 Wells G, Shea B, O'Connell D. et al; Ottawa Hospital Research Institute. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses. Available from: http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp (accessed September 18, 2014)
- 11 Zahn R, Schiele R, Gerckens U. et al; German Transcatheter Aortic Valve Interventions Registry Investigators. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation in patients with “porcelain” aorta (from a Multicenter Real World Registry). Am J Cardiol 2013; 111 (04) 602-608
- 12 Buz S, Pasic M, Unbehaun A. et al. Trans-apical aortic valve implantation in patients with severe calcification of the ascending aorta. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2011; 40 (02) 463-468
- 13 Nakasu A, Greason KL, Nkomo VT. et al. Transcatheter aortic valve insertion in patients with hostile ascending aorta calcification. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018; 156 (03) 1028-1034
- 14 Leon MB, Smith CR, Mack M. et al; PARTNER Trial Investigators. Transcatheter aortic-valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients who cannot undergo surgery. N Engl J Med 2010; 363 (17) 1597-1607
- 15 Leon MB, Smith CR, Mack MJ. et al; PARTNER 2 Investigators. Transcatheter or surgical aortic-valve replacement in intermediate-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2016; 374 (17) 1609-1620
- 16 Wendler O, Schymik G, Treede H. et al. SOURCE 3: 1-year outcomes post-transcatheter aortic valve implantation using the latest generation of the balloon-expandable transcatheter heart valve. Eur Heart J 2017; 38 (36) 2717-2726
- 17 Ludman PF, Moat N, de Belder MA. et al; UK TAVI Steering Committee and the National Institute for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation in the United Kingdom: temporal trends, predictors of outcome, and 6-year follow-up: a report from the UK Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) Registry, 2007 to 2012. Circulation 2015; 131 (13) 1181-1190
- 18 Rodés-Cabau J, Webb JG, Cheung A. et al. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation for the treatment of severe symptomatic aortic stenosis in patients at very high or prohibitive surgical risk: acute and late outcomes of the multicenter Canadian experience. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 55 (11) 1080-1090
- 19 Bosmans JM, Kefer J, De Bruyne B. et al; Belgian TAVI Registry Participants. Procedural, 30-day and one year outcome following CoreValve or Edwards transcatheter aortic valve implantation: results of the Belgian national registry. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2011; 12 (05) 762-767
- 20 Gerckens U, Tamburino C, Bleiziffer S. et al. Final 5-year clinical and echocardiographic results for treatment of severe aortic stenosis with a self-expanding bioprosthesis from the ADVANCE Study. Eur Heart J 2017; 38 (36) 2729-2738
- 21 D'Onofrio A, Rubino P, Fusari M. et al; on behalf of the I-TA investigators. Impact of previous cardiac operations on patients undergoing transapical aortic valve implantation: results from the Italian Registry of Transapical Aortic Valve Implantation. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 42 (03) 480-485
- 22 Muñoz-García AJ, del Valle R, Trillo-Nouche R. et al; Ibero-American registry investigators. The Ibero-American transcatheter aortic valve implantation registry with the CoreValve prosthesis. Early and long-term results. Int J Cardiol 2013; 169 (05) 359-365
- 23 Gilard M, Eltchaninoff H, Iung B. et al; FRANCE 2 Investigators. Registry of transcatheter aortic-valve implantation in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2012; 366 (18) 1705-1715
- 24 Jochheim D, Zadrozny M, Ricard I. et al. Predictors of cerebrovascular events at mid-term after transcatheter aortic valve implantation - results from EVERY-TAVI registry. Int J Cardiol 2017; 244: 106-111
- 25 Tay EL, Gurvitch R, Wijesinghe N. et al. A high-risk period for cerebrovascular events exists after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2011; 4 (12) 1290-1297
- 26 Pagnesi M, Martino EA, Chiarito M. et al. Silent cerebral injury after transcatheter aortic valve implantation and the preventive role of embolic protection devices: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Cardiol 2016; 221: 97-106
- 27 Abdel-Wahab M, Thiele H. Cerebral embolic protection during TAVI: prevent the unpreventable?. Eur Heart J 2019; 40 (17) 1340-1341
- 28 Rodés-Cabau J, Kahlert P, Neumann FJ. et al. Feasibility and exploratory efficacy evaluation of the Embrella Embolic Deflector system for the prevention of cerebral emboli in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement: the PROTAVI-C pilot study. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2014; 7 (10) 1146-1155
- 29 Pascual I, Avanzas P, Muñoz-García AJ. et al. Percutaneous implantation of the CoreValve® self-expanding valve prosthesis in patients with severe aortic stenosis and porcelain aorta: medium-term follow-up. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed) 2013; 66 (10) 775-781