Subscribe to RSS
Pregnancy after Endometriosis: Maternal and Neonatal Outcomes according to the Location of the DiseaseFunding None.
25 June 2019 (online)
Objective To systematically evaluate pregnancy and labor course, obstetrical complications, and maternal and neonatal outcomes in women with endometriosis, stratifying according to the specific location of the disease.
Study Design We retrospectively analyzed our prospectively maintained obstetrical database from January 2011 to August 2014 to identify all women with a previous histological diagnosis of endometriosis who delivered at our institution (cases). We divided the cases according to the specific location of the disease (deep infiltrating endometriosis, ovarian endometriosis, and peritoneal endometriosis). As controls, we identified all unaffected women who delivered in the year 2013. To avoid the confounding effect of parity, we limited our analysis to nulliparous women.
Results A total of 118 nulliparous women with endometriosis and 1,690 nulliparous controls were identified. Women with endometriosis were significantly older, had a lower body mass index, and had a higher incidence of assisted reproductive technology. The duration of pregnancy was significantly shorter among women with endometriosis. A higher incidence of placenta previa (3.4 vs. 0.5%; p = 0.006), hypertension (11 vs. 5.9%; p = 0.04), cesarean section (41.5 vs. 24.2%; p < 0.0001), and vacuum delivery (10.1 vs. 2.9%; p = 0.006) was found in women with endometriosis. Neonatal outcomes were similar between groups. The incidence of placenta previa in patients with deep endometriosis was 11.7 versus 0.5% among controls (p < 0.0001), whereas in women with ovarian and peritoneal endometriosis, it was similar to the controls.
Conclusion Women with endometriosis have a higher incidence of vacuum delivery, cesarean section, and placenta previa compared with unaffected women. The higher risk of placenta previa is attributable exclusively to women with deep endometriosis. Neonatal outcomes are unaffected by the presence of the disease.
- 1 Nisolle M, Donnez J. Peritoneal endometriosis, ovarian endometriosis, and adenomyotic nodules of the rectovaginal septum are three different entities. Fertil Steril 1997; 68 (04) 585-596
- 2 Buck Louis GM, Hediger ML, Peterson CM. , et al; ENDO Study Working Group. Incidence of endometriosis by study population and diagnostic method: the ENDO study. Fertil Steril 2011; 96 (02) 360-365
- 3 Macer ML, Taylor HS. Endometriosis and infertility: a review of the pathogenesis and treatment of endometriosis-associated infertility. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 2012; 39 (04) 535-549
- 4 Harb HM, Gallos ID, Chu J, Harb M, Coomarasamy A. The effect of endometriosis on in vitro fertilisation outcome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BJOG 2013; 120 (11) 1308-1320
- 5 Falconer H. Pregnancy outcomes in women with endometriosis. Semin Reprod Med 2013; 31 (02) 178-182
- 6 Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Endometriosis and infertility. Fertil Steril 2006; 86 (05) , Suppl (Suppl. 01) S156-S160
- 7 Legendre G, Catala L, Morinière C. , et al. Relationship between ovarian cysts and infertility: what surgery and when?. Fertil Steril 2014; 101 (03) 608-614
- 8 Prefumo F, Rossi AC. Endometriosis, endometrioma, and ART results: current understanding and recommended practices. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2018; 51: 34-40
- 9 Uccella S, Gisone B, Serati M. , et al. Functional outcomes of nerve-sparing laparoscopic eradication of deep infiltrating endometriosis: a prospective analysis using validated questionnaires. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2018; 298 (03) 639-647
- 10 Uccella S, Marconi N, Casarin J. , et al. Impact of endometriosis on surgical outcomes and complications of total laparoscopic hysterectomy. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2016; 294 (04) 771-778
- 11 Uccella S, Cromi A, Agosti M. , et al. Fertility rates, course of pregnancy and perinatal outcomes after laparoscopic ureterolysis for deep endometriosis: a long-term follow-up study. J Obstet Gynaecol 2016; 36 (06) 800-805
- 12 Rausei S, Sambucci D, Spampatti S. , et al. Laparoscopic treatment of deep infiltrating endometriosis: results of the combined laparoscopic gynecologic and colorectal surgery. Surg Endosc 2015; 29 (10) 2904-2909
- 13 Uccella S, Cromi A, Casarin J. , et al. Laparoscopy for ureteral endometriosis: surgical details, long-term follow-up, and fertility outcomes. Fertil Steril 2014; 102 (01) 160-166
- 14 Ceccaroni M, Ceccarello M, Caleffi G. , et al. Total laparoscopic ureteroneocystostomy for ureteral endometriosis: a single-center experience of 160 Consecutive Patients. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2019; 26 (01) 78-86
- 15 Ceccaroni M, Clarizia R, Roviglione G, Ruffo G. Neuro-anatomy of the posterior parametrium and surgical considerations for a nerve-sparing approach in radical pelvic surgery. Surg Endosc 2013; 27 (11) 4386-4394
- 16 Ceccaroni M, Clarizia R, Bruni F. , et al. Nerve-sparing laparoscopic eradication of deep endometriosis with segmental rectal and parametrial resection: the Negrar method. A single-center, prospective, clinical trial. Surg Endosc 2012; 26 (07) 2029-2045
- 17 Iosca S, Lumia D, Bracchi E. , et al. Multislice computed tomography with colon water distension (MSCT-c) in the study of intestinal and ureteral endometriosis. Clin Imaging 2013; 37 (06) 1061-1068
- 18 Ueda Y, Enomoto T, Miyatake T. , et al. A retrospective analysis of ovarian endometriosis during pregnancy. Fertil Steril 2010; 94 (01) 78-84
- 19 Brosens I, Brosens JJ, Fusi L, Al-Sabbagh M, Kuroda K, Benagiano G. Risks of adverse pregnancy outcome in endometriosis. Fertil Steril 2012; 98 (01) 30-35
- 20 Stephansson O, Kieler H, Granath F, Falconer H. Endometriosis, assisted reproduction technology, and risk of adverse pregnancy outcome. Hum Reprod 2009; 24 (09) 2341-2347
- 21 Fernando S, Breheny S, Jaques AM, Halliday JL, Baker G, Healy D. Preterm birth, ovarian endometriomata, and assisted reproduction technologies. Fertil Steril 2009; 91 (02) 325-330
- 22 Petraglia F, Arcuri F, de Ziegler D, Chapron C. Inflammation: a link between endometriosis and preterm birth. Fertil Steril 2012; 98 (01) 36-40
- 23 Leone Roberti Maggiore U, Ferrero S, Mangili G. , et al. A systematic review on endometriosis during pregnancy: diagnosis, misdiagnosis, complications and outcomes. Hum Reprod Update 2016; 22 (01) 70-103
- 24 Leone Roberti Maggiore U, Inversetti A, Schimberni M, Viganò P, Giorgione V, Candiani M. Obstetrical complications of endometriosis, particularly deep endometriosis. Fertil Steril 2017; 108 (06) 895-912
- 25 Zullo F, Spagnolo E, Saccone G. , et al. Endometriosis and obstetrics complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Fertil Steril 2017; 108 (04) 667-672
- 26 Chen I, Lalani S, Xie RH, Shen M, Singh SS, Wen SW. Association between surgically diagnosed endometriosis and adverse pregnancy outcomes. Fertil Steril 2018; 109 (01) 142-147
- 27 Exacoustos C, Lauriola I, Lazzeri L, De Felice G, Zupi E. Complications during pregnancy and delivery in women with untreated rectovaginal deep infiltrating endometriosis. Fertil Steril 2016; 106 (05) 1129-1135