Is Delaying Cord Clamping until Placenta Delivery Beneficial? Oxygen Saturation and Heart Rate Transition during the Initial 5 Minutes after Delivery in Indian Healthy NewbornsFunding None.
12 December 2018
07 April 2019
30 May 2019 (online)
Objective To compare the preductal oxygen saturation (SpO2) and heart rate (HR) in newborns during the initial 5 minutes after birth with delayed cord clamping (DCC) and early cord clamping (ECC) practices at sea level.
Study Design This prospective observational study included newborns born at >34 weeks vaginally (Dharampur, Gujarat) or through caesarean section (CS) (Kolkata, West Bengal). In Dharampur, the newborns received ECC practice (8 weeks) followed by DCC practice (10 weeks). In Kolkata, the newborns received ECC practice only (8 weeks).
Results The newborns with DCC (n = 170) had significantly higher SpO2 (3–8%) throughout than those with ECC born either vaginally (n = 178) or through CS (n = 101). The newborns with DCC had slower rise in HR during the first 2 minutes than those with ECC. The 5th and 10th percentile values of SpO2 for newborns with DCC practice were higher than those with ECC practice.
Conclusion The trends of SpO2 and HR during the first 5 minutes after birth indicate a relatively smoother cardiopulmonary transition by delaying cord clamping till placental delivery compared with early clamping. The reference ranges can be used for Indian newborns born by uncomplicated vaginal delivery with DCC during the first 5 minutes.
A.K.S., A.S., S.M. and M.K.D. conceptualized the study. J.S.S., Y.W., S.D., P.M., A.S., and S.M. implemented and collected the data. M.K.D., B.G., A.S., and A.K.S. undertook data analysis. M.K.D. and A.K.S. drafted the manuscript. All authors reviewed and approved the manuscript.
This project was approved by the Ethics Committee at the Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Kolkata.
- 1 Niermeyer S. A physiologic approach to cord clamping: clinical issues. Matern Health Neonatol Perinatol 2015; 1 (01) 21
- 2 Kesterton AJ, Cleland J. Neonatal care in rural Karnataka: healthy and harmful practices, the potential for change. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2009; 9 (01) 20
- 3 Velpeau A. Traité elementaire de l'art des accouchements; ou, Principes de tokologie et d'embryologie. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lindsay & Blakiston; 1829
- 4 Raju TNK, Singhal N. Optimal timing for clamping the umbilical cord after birth. Clin Perinatol 2012; 39 (04) 889-900
- 5 McAdams RM. Time to implement delayed cord clamping. Obstet Gynecol 2014; 123 (03) 549-552
- 6 Zeballos Sarrato G, Salguero García E, Aguayo Maldonado J, Gómez Robles C, Thió Lluch M, Iriondo Sanz M. Adaptación de las recomendaciones internacionales en estabilización y reanimación neonatal 2015. An Pediatr (Barc) 2017; 86 (01) 51.e1-51.e9
- 7 Perlman JM, Wyllie J, Kattwinkel J. , et al; Neonatal Resuscitation Chapter Collaborators. Part 7: neonatal resuscitation: 2015 International Consensus on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science with Treatment Recommendations. Circulation 2015; 132 (16) (Suppl. 01) S204-S241
- 8 Boere I, Roest AAW, Wallace E. , et al. Umbilical blood flow patterns directly after birth before delayed cord clamping. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2015; 100 (02) F121-F125
- 9 Dupont TL, Ohls RK. Placental transfusion: current practices and future directions. Neoreviews 2018; 19 (01) e1-e10
- 10 Weiner G, Zaichkin J, Kattwinkel J. Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation. 7th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics and American Heart Association; 2016
- 11 Wyllie J, Perlman JM, Kattwinkel J. , et al; Neonatal Resuscitation Chapter Collaborators. Part 11: neonatal resuscitation. Resuscitation 2010; 81 (01) (Suppl. 01) e260-e287
- 12 Kattwinkel J, Perlman JM, Aziz K. , et al. Part 15: neonatal resuscitation: 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care. Circulation 2010; 122 (18) (Suppl. 03) S909-S919
- 13 Perlman JM, Wyllie J, Kattwinkel J. , et al; Neonatal Resuscitation Chapter Collaborators. Part 11: neonatal resuscitation: 2010 International Consensus on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science With Treatment Recommendations. Circulation 2010; 122 (16) (Suppl. 02) S516-S538
- 14 Richmond S, Wyllie J. European Resuscitation Council Guidelines for Resuscitation 2010 Section 7. Resuscitation of babies at birth. Resuscitation 2010; 81 (10) 1389-1399
- 15 O'Donnell CPF, Kamlin COF, Davis PG, Carlin JB, Morley CJ. Clinical assessment of infant colour at delivery. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2007; 92 (06) F465-F467
- 16 Theophilopoulos DT, Burchfield DJ. Accuracy of different methods for heart rate determination during simulated neonatal resuscitations. J Perinatol 1998; 18 (01) 65-67
- 17 Roehr CC, Hansmann G, Hoehn T, Bührer C. The 2010 Guidelines on Neonatal Resuscitation (AHA, ERC, ILCOR): similarities and differences--what progress has been made since 2005?. Klin Padiatr 2011; 223 (05) 299-307
- 18 American Academy of Pediatrics and American Heart Association. Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation. 6th ed. Dallas, TX/Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics and American Heart Association; 2011
- 19 Lu Y-C, Wang C-C, Lee C-M. , et al. Reevaluating reference ranges of oxygen saturation for healthy full-term neonates using pulse oximetry. Pediatr Neonatol 2014; 55 (06) 459-465
- 20 Smit M, Dawson JA, Ganzeboom A, Hooper SB, van Roosmalen J, te Pas AB. Pulse oximetry in newborns with delayed cord clamping and immediate skin-to-skin contact. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2014; 99 (04) F309-F314
- 21 Dawson JA, Davis PG, O'Donnell CPF, Kamlin COF, Morley CJ. Pulse oximetry for monitoring infants in the delivery room: a review. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2007; 92 (01) F4-F7
- 22 Zubarioglu U, Uslu S, Can E, Bülbül A, Nuhoglu A. Oxygen saturation levels during the first minutes of life in healthy term neonates. Tohoku J Exp Med 2011; 224 (04) 273-279
- 23 Gautam S, Agrawal A. Oxygen saturation trends in newborn after birth. J Evol Med Dent Sci 2015; 4 (63) 11037-11042
- 24 Altuncu E, Ozek E, Bilgen H, Topuzoglu A, Kavuncuoglu S. Percentiles of oxygen saturations in healthy term newborns in the first minutes of life. Eur J Pediatr 2008; 167 (06) 687-688
- 25 Caliskan E, Ozdamar D, Doger E, Cakiroglu Y, Kus A, Corakci A. Prospective case control comparison of fetal intrapartum oxygen saturations during epidural analgesia. Int J Obstet Anesth 2010; 19 (01) 77-81
- 26 Kc A, Rana N, Målqvist M, Jarawka Ranneberg L, Subedi K, Andersson O. Effects of delayed umbilical cord clamping vs early clamping on anemia in infants at 8 and 12 months: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Pediatr 2017; 171 (03) 264-270
- 27 McDonald SJ, Middleton P, Dowswell T, Morris PS. Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping of term infants on maternal and neonatal outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; (07) CD004074
- 28 Andersson O, Lindquist B, Lindgren M, Stjernqvist K, Domellöf M, Hellström-Westas L. Effect of delayed cord clamping on neurodevelopment at 4 years of age: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Pediatr 2015; 169 (07) 631-638
- 29 Ballard JL, Khoury JC, Wedig K, Wang L, Eilers-Walsman BL, Lipp R. New Ballard Score, expanded to include extremely premature infants. J Pediatr 1991; 119 (03) 417-423
- 30 Louis D, Sundaram V, Kumar P. Pulse oximeter sensor application during neonatal resuscitation: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics 2014; 133 (03) 476-482
- 31 O'Donnell CPF, Kamlin COF, Davis PG, Morley CJ. Obtaining pulse oximetry data in neonates: a randomised crossover study of sensor application techniques. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2005; 90 (01) F84-F85
- 32 Dawson JA, Kamlin COF, Vento M. , et al. Defining the reference range for oxygen saturation for infants after birth. Pediatrics 2010; 125 (06) e1340-e1347
- 33 Cole TJ, Green PJ. Smoothing reference centile curves: the LMS method and penalized likelihood. Stat Med 1992; 11 (10) 1305-1319
- 34 Pan H, Cole TJ. LMS chartmaker, a program to construct growth references using the LMS method. 2011 . Available at: http://www.healthforallchildren.co.uk . Accessed October 10, 2018
- 35 Devin J, Larkin P. Delayed cord clamping in term neonates: attitudes and practices of midwives in irish hospitals. Int J Childbirth 2018; 8 (01) 4-17
- 36 Tiwari S, Tiwari S, Nangia S, Saili A. Oxygen saturation profile in healthy term neonates in the immediate post natal period. Int J Clin Pediatr 2013; 2 (01) 19-23
- 37 Mariani G, Dik PB, Ezquer A. , et al. Pre-ductal and post-ductal O2 saturation in healthy term neonates after birth. J Pediatr 2007; 150 (04) 418-421
- 38 Rabi Y, Yee W, Chen SY, Singhal N. Oxygen saturation trends immediately after birth. J Pediatr 2006; 148 (05) 590-594
- 39 Toth B, Becker A, Seelbach-Göbel B. Oxygen saturation in healthy newborn infants immediately after birth measured by pulse oximetry. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2002; 266 (02) 105-107
- 40 Meier-Stauss P, Bucher HU, Hürlimann R, König V, Huch R. Pulse oximetry used for documenting oxygen saturation and right-to-left shunting immediately after birth. Eur J Pediatr 1990; 149 (12) 851-855
- 41 Polglase GR, Dawson JA, Kluckow M. , et al. Ventilation onset prior to umbilical cord clamping (physiological-based cord clamping) improves systemic and cerebral oxygenation in preterm lambs. PLoS One 2015; 10 (02) e0117504
- 42 Hagino I, Anttila V, Zurakowski D, Duebener LF, Lidov HGW, Jonas RA. Tissue oxygenation index is a useful monitor of histologic and neurologic outcome after cardiopulmonary bypass in piglets. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005; 130 (02) 384-392
- 43 Gilmore MM, Stone BS, Shepard JA, Czosnyka M, Easley RB, Brady KM. Relationship between cerebrovascular dysautoregulation and arterial blood pressure in the premature infant. J Perinatol 2011; 31 (11) 722-729
- 44 Bhatt S, Alison BJ, Wallace EM. , et al. Delaying cord clamping until ventilation onset improves cardiovascular function at birth in preterm lambs. J Physiol 2013; 591 (08) 2113-2126