Predictors of Outcome for Aortic Valve Reimplantation Including the Surgeon—A Single-Center ExperienceFunding None.
29 June 2018
26 September 2018
28 November 2018 (online)
Introduction Aortic valve reimplantation is considered technically demanding. We searched for predictors of long-term outcome including the surgeon as risk factor.
Methods We selected all aortic valve reimplantations performed in our department between December 1999 and January 2017 and obtained a complete follow-up. The main indications were combined aortic aneurysm plus aortic valve regurgitation (AR), 69% and aortic dissections (15%). In 14%, valves were bicuspid. Cusp repair was performed in 27% of patients. One-third received additional procedures (coronary artery bypass grafting, mitral, or arch surgery). We performed multivariable analyses for independent risk factors of short- and long-term outcomes, including “surgeon” as variable. Twelve different surgeons operated on 193 patients. We created three groups: surgeons A and B with 84 and 64 procedures, respectively, and surgeon C (10 surgeons for 45 patients).
Results Cardiopulmonary bypass and clamp times were 176 ± 45 and 130 ± 24 minutes, respectively. In-hospital mortality was 2%. Postoperatively, 5% had mild and 0.5% had moderate AR. Kaplan–Meier's survival estimates, freedom from reoperation, and freedom from severe AR at 12 years were 97 ± 1, 93 ± 2, and 91 ± 3%, respectively. Age and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease appeared as risk factors for perioperative complications by univariate analysis. Age, coronary artery disease, and duration of cardiopulmonary bypass, but not surgeon, presented as risk factors by multivariable analysis.
Conclusion The results suggest that if a David procedure is performed successfully, long-term durability may be excellent. They also suggest that good and durable results are possible even with limited experience of the operating surgeon.
The study was approved by the ethics committee of the Medical University of Jena, Germany (reference number 5463–03/18).
- 1 Svensson LG, Adams DH, Bonow RO. , et al. Aortic valve and ascending aorta guidelines for management and quality measures. Ann Thorac Surg 2013; 95 (6, Suppl): S1-S66
- 2 David TE, Feindel CM, Webb GD, Colman JM, Armstrong S, Maganti M. Long-term results of aortic valve-sparing operations for aortic root aneurysm. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 132 (02) 347-354
- 3 David TE, Feindel CM. An aortic valve-sparing operation for patients with aortic incompetence and aneurysm of the ascending aorta. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1992; 103 (04) 617-621 , discussion 622
- 4 Perry GJ, Helmcke F, Nanda NC, Byard C, Soto B. Evaluation of aortic insufficiency by Doppler color flow mapping. J Am Coll Cardiol 1987; 9 (04) 952-959
- 5 McHorney CA, Ware Jr JE, Lu JFR, Sherbourne CD. The MOS 36-item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): III. Tests of data quality, scaling assumptions, and reliability across diverse patient groups. Med Care 1994; 32 (01) 40-66
- 6 Elbardissi AW, Duclos A, Rawn JD, Orgill DP, Carty MJ. Cumulative team experience matters more than individual surgeon experience in cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145 (02) 328-333
- 7 Mason IV JO, Mason LB, Patel SA. , et al. Vitreoretinal surgical outcomes performed by supervised retinal fellows versus attending faculty surgeons. Retina 2016; 36 (05) 981-985
- 8 David TE, David CM, Feindel CM, Manlhiot C. Reimplantation of the aortic valve at 20 years. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2017; 153 (02) 232-238
- 9 Grande-Allen KJ, Cochran RP, Reinhall PG, Kunzelman KS. Re-creation of sinuses is important for sparing the aortic valve: a finite element study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 119 (4 Pt 1) 753-763
- 10 Kvitting JP, Ebbers T, Wigström L, Engvall J, Olin CL, Bolger AF. Flow patterns in the aortic root and the aorta studied with time-resolved, 3-dimensional, phase-contrast magnetic resonance imaging: implications for aortic valve-sparing surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2004; 127 (06) 1602-1607
- 11 Dias RR, Mejia OV, Carvalho Jr EV. , et al. Aortic root reconstruction through valve-sparing operation: critical analysis of 11 years of follow-up. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 2010; 25 (01) 66-72
- 12 Kallenbach K, Hagl C, Walles T. , et al. Results of valve-sparing aortic root reconstruction in 158 consecutive patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 74 (06) 2026-2032 , discussion 2032–2033
- 13 Shrestha M, Baraki H, Maeding I. , et al. Long-term results after aortic valve-sparing operation (David I). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 41 (01) ): 56-61 ; discussion 61–52
- 14 Vallabhajosyula P, Szeto WY, Habertheuer A. , et al. Bicuspid aortic insufficiency with aortic root aneurysm: root reimplantation versus Bentall root replacement. Ann Thorac Surg 2016; 102 (04) 1221-1228
- 15 Wachter K, Franke UF, Yadav R. , et al. Feasibility and clinical outcome after minimally invasive valve-sparing aortic root replacement. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2017; 24 (03) 377-383
- 16 Kari FA, Doll KN, Hemmer W. , et al. Survival and freedom from aortic valve-related reoperation after valve-sparing aortic root replacement in 1015 patients. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2016; 22 (04) 431-438
- 17 Langer F, Aicher D, Kissinger A. , et al. Aortic valve repair using a differentiated surgical strategy. Circulation 2004; 110 (11, suppl 1): II67-II73
- 18 Schneider U, Feldner SK, Hofmann C. , et al. Two decades of experience with root remodeling and valve repair for bicuspid aortic valves. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2017; 153 (04) S65-S71
- 19 Beck A, Thubrikar MJ, Robicsek F. Stress analysis of the aortic valve with and without the sinuses of Valsalva. J Heart Valve Dis 2001; 10 (01) 1-11
- 20 Schäfers HJ, Langer F, Glombitza P, Kunihara T, Fries R, Aicher D. Aortic valve reconstruction in myxomatous degeneration of aortic valves: are fenestrations a risk factor for repair failure?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 139 (03) 660-664
- 21 Franke UF, Isecke A, Nagib R. , et al. Quality of life after aortic root surgery: reimplantation technique versus composite replacement. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 90 (06) 1869-1875
- 22 Hammermeister K, Sethi GK, Henderson WG, Grover FL, Oprian C, Rahimtoola SH. Outcomes 15 years after valve replacement with a mechanical versus a bioprosthetic valve: final report of the Veterans Affairs randomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36 (04) 1152-1158