Microvascular Haemostasis and the Effect of Local Stimulation and inhibition of Platelet Function. An Experimental Study in Rabbits
01. Dezember 1975
Accepted 18. April 1976
03. Juli 2018 (online)
The local stimulation and inhibition of haemostatic plug formation was studied by local infusion and superfusion of different agents – ADP, thrombin, adenosine, heparin, prostaglandin E1 (PGE1) and laser injury. ADP and laser injury shortened venular haemostatic plug formation time whereas adenosine in the superfusate and PGE1 prolonged it. Thrombin infusion had no effect but thrombin in the superfusate significantly stabilised the haemostatic plugs. It is suggested that ADP released from red cells is the most potent stimulator for haemostatic plug formation in the rabbit mesenteric microcirculation.
* Present address: Department of Surgery, Kärnsjukhuset, Skövde, Sweden.
- 1 Arfors K.-E, Bergqvist D, Bygdeman S, McKenzie F. N, Svensjö E. 1972; The effect of inhibition of the platelet release reaction on platelet behaviour in vitro and in vivo. Scandinavian Journal of Haematology 9: 322.
- 2 Arfors K.-E, Bergqvist D, McKenzie F. N, Nilsson G. 1973; Platelet response to laser-induced microvascular injury in the rabbit mesentery and the rabbit ear chamber. A statistical comparison. Thrombosis Research 3: 75.
- 3 Arfors K.-E, Bergqvist D. 1974; Influence of blood flow velocity on experimental haemostatic plug formation. Thrombosis Research 4: 447.
- 4 Arfors K.-E, Bergqvist D. 1975a Platelet aggregability and vessel contraction in microvascular haemostasis. Microvascular Research 9: 22.
- 5 Arfors K.-E, Bergqvist D. 1975b Microvascular haemostatic plug formation in the rabbit mesentery. Effect of blood flow velocity, thrombocytopenia and dextran treatment. Bibliotheca Haematologica 41: 84.
- 6 Arfors K.-E, McKenzie F. N, Matheson N. A. 1975 Measurement of the platelet response to laser induced microvascular injury. Influence of haematological and haemodynamic variables. Thrombosis Research. In press.
- 7 Arfors K.-E, Arturson G, Bergqvist D, Svensjö E. The effect of inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis on microvascular haemostasis and macro molecular leakage. Thrombosis Research. In press.
- 8 Beermann H. J. 1967; Suppression of in vivo injury-induced platelet thrombosis by inhibitors of adenosine diphosphate thrombotic activity. Bibliotheca Anatomica 9: 92.
- 9 Bergqvist D, Arfors K.-E. 1973; Influence of platelet count on haemostatic plug formation and stability. An experimental study in rabbits with graded thrombocytopenia. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 30: 586.
- 10 Bergqvist D, Arfors K.-E. 1974; Influence of fibrinolysis and coagulation on haemostatic plug formation. An experimental study in rabbits. Thrombosis Research 4: 345.
- 11 Bergqvist D. 1974; Haemostatic plug formation in the rabbit mesentery. A methodological study. Upsala Journal of medical Science 79: 28.
- 12 Bergqvist D, McKenzie F. N, Arfors K.-E. 1974; Influence of various anaesthetic agents on the formation and stability of haemostatic plugs in the rabbit mesentery. Upsala Journal of Medical Science 79: 39.
- 13 Bergqvist D, Arfors K.-E, Born G. V. R. 1976; Evidence for the inhibition of platelet activation through the prevention of ADP release from erythrocytes by membrane-stabilising drugs. Nature 259: 233.
- 14 Born G. V. R, Honour A. J, Mitchell J. R. A. 1964; Inhibition by adenosine and by 2-chloroadenosine of the formation and embolisation of platelet thrombi. Nature 202: 761.
- 15 Brecher G, Cronkite E. 1950; Morphology and enumeration of human blood platelets. Journal of Applied Physiology 3: 365.
- 16 Chandra Sekhar N. 1970; Prostaglandins and platelet function. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 24: 305.
- 17 Eika C, Godal H. C. 1971; Thrombocytopenia in rabbits induced by heparin, protamine, and polybrene. Scandinavian Journal of Haematology 8: 481.
- 18 Emmons P. R, Hampton J. R, Harrison M. J. G, Honour A. J, Mitchell J. R. A. 1967; Effect of prostaglandin E1 on platelet behaviour in vitro and in vivo. British Medical Journal 2: 468.
- 19 Hovig T, McKenzie F. N, Arfors K.-E. 1974; Measurement of the platelet response to lacer-in-duced microvascular injury. Ultrastructural studies. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 32: 695.
- 20 Hugues J. 1962; Accolement des plaquettes aux structures conjonctives périvasculaires. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 8: 241.
- 21 Johnson S. 1965; An ultrastructural and biochemical description of the hemostatic mechanism. New Istanbul Contribution of Clinical Science 8: 134.
- 22 Johnson S.v, Horn D, Pederson H, Marr J. 1966; The function of platelets: a review. Transfusion 6: 3.
- 23 Johnson S, Fredell L, Shepard J, Tebo T, Chang C, Pederson H, v. Horn D. 1967. Red blood cells, fibrin and platelets in hemostasis. In: Johnson S, Seegers W. (eds.), Physiology of hemostasis and thrombosis. Charles C. Thomas Publ.; Springfield, Illinois, USA.: 44.
- 24 Jørgensen L, Borchgrevink C. 1964; The haemostatic mechanism in patients with haemorrhagic diseases. A histological study of wounds made from primary and secondary bleeding time tests. Acta Pathologica et Microbiologica Scandinavica 60: 55.
- 25 Kjaerheim Å, Hovig T. 1962; The ultrastructure of haemostatic blood platelet plugs in rabbit mesenterium. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 7: 1.
- 26 Kloeze J. 1966; Influence of prostaglandins on platelet adhesiveness and platelet aggregation. Proceedings of the Nobel Symposium (Stockholm) 2: 241.
- 27 McKenzie F. N, Arfors K.-E, Matheson N. A. 1974; Measurement of the platelet response to laser-induced microvascular injury. Assessment of determinants of platelet aggregation in vivo. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 32: 704.
- 28 Marr J, Barboriak J. J, Johnson S. 1965; Relationship of appearance of adenosine diphosphate, fibrin formation and platelet aggregation in the hemostatic plug in vivo . Nature 205: 259.
- 29 Mills D. C. B, Smith J. B, Born G. V. R. 1970; Pharmacology of platelet aggregation inhibition. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 42: 175.
- 30 Mustard J. F, Packham M. 1970; Factors influencing platelet function, adhesion, release and aggregation. Pharmacological Reviews 22: 97.