Custom-made Stent Grafts for the Treatment of Pseudoaneurysms after Childhood Coarctation Surgery
05 February 2018
14 March 2018
17 May 2018 (eFirst)
Background Post-coarctation of the aorta (CoA) pseudoaneurysms is a complication of open repair. Thoracic endovascular repair (TEVAR) is feasible but complicated by proximity to the supra-aortic trunks and severe arch angulation.
Methods We describe three cases of post-CoA pseudoaneurysms treated with custom-made Relay stent grafts (Vascutek, Scotland).
Results Technical and clinical success was achieved in all three cases with no mortality, morbidity, endoleaks, or complications. In all three, pseudoaneurysm sac shrinkage was observed at the follow-ups; in one case, there was complete resolution.
Conclusion Redo open surgery is challenging because of adhesions of the thoracic cavity and associated morbidity and mortality. TEVAR is less invasive and offers fewer complications. Custom-made modifications overcome difficult anatomies including short landing zones and diameter variability.
- 1 Torok RD, Campbell MJ, Fleming GA, Hill KD. Coarctation of the aorta: management from infancy to adulthood. World J Cardiol 2015; 7 (11) 765-775
- 2 Kaushal S, Backer CL, Patel JN. , et al. Coarctation of the aorta: midterm outcomes of resection with extended end-to-end anastomosis. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 88 (06) 1932-1938
- 3 Pandey R, Jackson M, Ajab S, Gladman G, Pozzi M. Subclavian flap repair: review of 399 patients at median follow-up of fourteen years. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 81 (04) 1420-1428
- 4 Walhout RJ, Lekkerkerker JC, Oron GH, Hitchcock FJ, Meijboom EJ, Bennink GB. Comparison of polytetrafluoroethylene patch aortoplasty and end-to-end anastomosis for coarctation of the aorta. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 126 (02) 521-528
- 5 Charlton-Ouw KM, Codreanu ME, Leake SS. , et al. Open repair of adult aortic coarctation mostly by a resection and graft replacement technique. J Vasc Surg 2015; 61 (01) 66-72
- 6 Kotelis D, Geisbüsch P, Hinz U. , et al. Short and midterm results after left subclavian artery coverage during endovascular repair of the thoracic aorta. J Vasc Surg 2009; 50 (06) 1285-1292
- 7 Knyshov GV, Sitar LL, Glagola MD, Atamanyuk MY. Aortic aneurysms at the site of the repair of coarctation of the aorta: a review of 48 patients. Ann Thorac Surg 1996; 61 (03) 935-939
- 8 Zipfel B, Ewert P, Buz S, El Al AA, Hammerschmidt R, Hetzer R. Endovascular stent-graft repair of late pseudoaneurysms after surgery for aortic coarctation. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 91 (01) 85-91
- 9 Riambau V, Zipfel B, Coppi G. , et al; RELAY Endovascular Registry for Thoracic Disease RESTORE Investigators. Final operative and midterm results of the European experience in the RELAY Endovascular Registry for Thoracic Disease (RESTORE) study. J Vasc Surg 2011; 53 (03) 565-573
- 10 Feezor RJ, Martin TD, Hess Jr PJ. , et al. Extent of aortic coverage and incidence of spinal cord ischemia after thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair. Ann Thorac Surg 2008; 86 (06) 1809-1814 , discussion 1814
- 11 Ben Abdallah I, El Batti S, Sapoval M. , et al. Proximal scallop in thoracic endovascular aortic aneurysm repair to overcome neck issues in the arch. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2016; 51 (03) 343-349