Subscribe to RSS
Timing of ECMO Initiation Impacts Survival in Influenza-Associated ARDS
13 December 2017
05 March 2018
01 May 2018 (online)
In the past decade, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) has emerged as an innovative therapy for influenza-associated acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Despite its promising results, the ideal timing of ECMO initiation for these patients remains unclear. Retrospective analysis of a single institution experience with venovenous ECMO for influenza-induced ARDS was performed. Twenty-one patients were identified and categorized into early (0–2 days), standard (3–6 days), or late (more than 7 days) cannulation cohorts. Patients cannulated within 48 hours of admission had 80% survival rate at 90 days. Comparatively, the standard and late cannulation cohorts had an observed 90-day survival rate of 60 and 16.7%, respectively.
This study was presented at the American Association for Thoracic Surgery Centennial Meeting in Boston, MA; April 29–May 3, 2017.
- 1 Dawood FS, Iuliano AD, Reed C. , et al. Estimated global mortality associated with the first 12 months of 2009 pandemic influenza A H1N1 virus circulation: a modelling study. Lancet Infect Dis 2012; 12 (09) 687-695
- 2 Napolitano LM, Angus DC, Uyeki TM. Critically ill patients with influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 virus infection in 2014. JAMA 2014; 311 (13) 1289-1290
- 3 Davies A, Jones D, Bailey M. , et al. Australia and New Zealand Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ANZ ECMO) Influenza Investigators. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for 2009 Influenza A(H1N1) Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. JAMA 2009; 302 (17) 1888-1895
- 4 Noah MA, Peek GJ, Finney SJ. , et al. Referral to an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation center and mortality among patients with severe 2009 influenza A (H1N1). JAMA 2011; 306 (15) 1659-1668
- 5 2013 ELSO Guidelines for Respiratory Failure. Available at: https://www.elso.org/Portals/0/IGD/Archive/FileManager/989d4d4d14cusersshyerdocumentselsoguidelinesforadultrespiratoryfailure1.3.pdf . Accessed February 2017
- 6 2009 ELSO Guidelines H1N1 Supplement. Available at: https://www.elso.org/Portals/0/Files/elso%20h1n1%20specific%20guidelines.pdf . Accessed March 2017
- 7 H1N1 ELSO Registry. Available at: https://www.elso.org/Registry/H1N1Registry.aspx . Accessed March 2017