A Transpatellar Approach to Treat Distal Femoral Type C3 Fractures Combined with Patellar FracturesFunding None.
08 November 2017
23 December 2017
06 February 2018 (eFirst)
We report our surgical method used to treat type C distal femur fractures accompanied by patella fractures whereby we approach the articular surface of the femur through the already-fractured patella. We treated 10 patients with type C3 distal femur and patella fractures between May 2013 and April 2015. Because the patella was fractured in all cases, we could approach the articular surface of the distal femur through the transverse gap between the retracted patellar fracture fragments, “transpatellar approach.” Any surgical complications were recorded. Knee function was evaluated using the Böstman system. The average age of the 10 patients (8 males) was 42.9 years (range, 22.0–58.0 years). All distal femur fractures were type C3, combined with patella fractures. Bony union of the distal femur and patella was achieved in all but one patient, who required an additional bone graft (without any change in the implant). Overall, three patients (30%) reported excellent results and seven (70%) reported good results, based on the Böstman system. A midline anterior approach through a patella fracture adequately exposes the entire joint surface of the distal femur, except the posterior surface. This approach is useful when treating a type C distal femur fracture accompanied by a patella fracture. The level of evidence is IV.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1 Court-Brown CM, Heckman JD, McQueen MM, Ricci WM, Tornetta III P. Rockwood and Green's Fractures in Adults. 8th ed. Philadelphia: LWW; 2015: 2229-2266
- 2 Marsh JL, Slongo TF, Agel J. , et al. Fracture and dislocation classification compendium - 2007: Orthopaedic Trauma Association classification, database and outcomes committee. J Orthop Trauma 2007; 21 (10, Suppl): S1-S133
- 3 Johnson KD, Hicken G. Distal femoral fractures. Orthop Clin North Am 1987; 18 (01) 115-132
- 4 Rademakers MV, Kerkhoffs GM, Sierevelt IN, Raaymakers EL, Marti RK. Intra-articular fractures of the distal femur: a long-term follow-up study of surgically treated patients. J Orthop Trauma 2004; 18 (04) 213-219
- 5 Johnson EE. Combined direct and indirect reduction of comminuted four-part intraarticular T-type fractures of the distal femur. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1988; (231) 154-162
- 6 Bin Z, Song L, Binghua W, Ping Q, Min D. A new anterolateral approach for type C fractures of the distal femur. Int Surg 2014; 99 (06) 875-879
- 7 Kim MB, Lee YH, Shin WC, Baek GH. Locked tension band wiring using ring pins for patellar fractures: a method of minimising implant migration. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2014; 134 (11) 1537-1543
- 8 Della Rocca GJ. Displaced patella fractures. J Knee Surg 2013; 26 (05) 293-299
- 9 Ebraheim NA, Martin A, Sochacki KR, Liu J. Nonunion of distal femoral fractures: a systematic review. Orthop Surg 2013; 5 (01) 46-50
- 10 Henderson CE, Lujan TJ, Kuhl LL, Bottlang M, Fitzpatrick DC, Marsh JL. 2010 mid-America Orthopaedic Association Physician in Training Award: healing complications are common after locked plating for distal femur fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2011; 469 (06) 1757-1765
- 11 Böstman O, Kiviluoto O, Nirhamo J. Comminuted displaced fractures of the patella. Injury 1981; 13 (03) 196-202
- 12 Donald SM, Bateman ER. Patella osteotomy: a new approach for complex trauma around the knee. J Orthop Trauma 2013; 27 (07) e161-e165
- 13 Jin J, Ren H, Liu Y, Jin R, Li L. Effectiveness of anterior knee incision by patellar longitudinal approach for osteotomy in treatment of distal femoral type C fractures. Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 2015; 29 (06) 700-703
- 14 Schütz M, Müller M, Regazzoni P. , et al. Use of the less invasive stabilization system (LISS) in patients with distal femoral (AO33) fractures: a prospective multicenter study. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2005; 125 (02) 102-108
- 15 Khalil Ael-S, Ayoub MA. Highly unstable complex C3-type distal femur fracture: can double plating via a modified Olerud extensile approach be a standby solution?. J Orthop Traumatol 2012; 13 (04) 179-188
- 16 Kim JG, Lim HC, Kim HJ, Hwang MH, Yoon YC, Oh JK. Delayed detection of clinically significant posterior cruciate ligament injury after peri-articular fracture around the knee of 448 patients. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2012; 132 (12) 1741-1746